RE: Why is bra singular and panties plural?

Makes sense. Thank you, Judy ! ( Rudie is being too technical again ) Now, we know that if you toss a cat off the roof, it will always land on its feet. If you drop your toast after you've buttered it, it will always land butter side down, so... If you strap the toast on the cat's back butter side up...... Which way will that land ?

Looking for a cat to find out. LOL

This post was edited

While you're all pondering the perpetual motion ( and dizzy ) cat.... ( love the illustration )
If you're driving along at the speed of light, and you turn on your headlights,
do they do anything ?

This post was edited

The cat is great! I will have to match that soon!
Since we are "randoming" out a little, anybody up for a little bit of Larry type wisdom?:
I have heard that this is the type of The Wisdom of Larry the Cable Guy

1. A day without sunshine is like night.
2. On the other hand, you have different fingers.
3. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
4. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
5. Remember, half the people you know are below average.
6. He who laughs last thinks slowest.
7. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
8. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.
9. Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
10. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
11. Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.
12. If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
13. How many of you believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand.
14. OK, so what's the speed of dark?
15. When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
16. Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
17. How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?
18. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
19. What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?
20. Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?
21. Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the heck happened?"
22. Just remember -- if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.
23. Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
24. Life isn't like a box of chocolates; it's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn yourbutt tomorrow!

This post was edited

For the same reason a "T" Shirt is singular and Levi's plural. And a headset is singular and sunglasses plural.
Err, "Levi's" is not plural. It is a brand name and the 's indicates ownership (ie. the pants belong to Levi, therefore, they are Levi's). Why wouldn't a T-shirt be singular? It is one item. All shirts are singular. A headset is singular because it is a SET of two earphones, again, it makes sense. And sunglasses is plural because there are TWO lenses, so once again, it makes sense. These examples are nothing like the OP's question.
Speaking of the OP's question, I don't know about the bra but am guessing the word "panties" evolved from the word "pants", sort of a mini version of pants. Since pants is plural (two legs), panties also remained plural. If it makes you sleep better, you can think of the two openings for the legs as the reason they are plural, lol
The bra may be singular for the same reason the headset is singular, it is a set of two cups.

This post was edited

For the same reason a "T" Shirt is singular and Levi's plural. And a headset is singular and sunglasses plural.
Err, "Levi's" is not plural. It is a brand name and the 's indicates ownership (ie. the pants belong to Levi, therefore, they are Levi's). Why wouldn't a T-shirt be singular? It is one item. All shirts are singular. A headset is singular because it is a SET of two earphones, again, it makes sense. And sunglasses is plural because there are TWO lenses, so once again, it makes sense. These examples are nothing like the OP's question.
Speaking of the OP's question, I don't know about the bra but am guessing the word "panties" evolved from the word "pants", sort of a mini version of pants. Since pants is plural (two legs), panties also remained plural. If it makes you sleep better, you can think of the two openings for the legs as the reason they are plural, lol
The bra may be singular for the same reason the headset is singular, it is a set of two cups.

A joke is a question, short story, or depiction of a situation made with the intent of being humorous. To achieve this end, jokes may employ irony, sarcasm, word play and other devices. Jokes may have a punchline that will end the sentence to make it humorous.

Did you ever walk into a mens store ask for a pair on levi's? I have.

This post was edited

Another "Thank You" to all who have contributed to this forum! I knew it would have some response but didn't expect this much, this fast!
Just for more flavor, with no harm or offense intended, here is an attempt at a little statistic humor for both guys and gals I have collected to add to the mixture of comments:
Some math statistics.

ROMANCE MATHEMATICS.
Smart man + smart woman = romance
Smart man + dumb woman = affair
Dumb man + smart woman = marriage
Dumb man + dumb woman = pregnancy

OFFICE ARITHMETIC.
Smart boss + smart employee = profit
Smart boss + dumb employee = production
Dumb boss + smart employee = promotion
Dumb boss + dumb employee = overtime

SHOPPING MATH
A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.
A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need.

GENERAL EQUATIONS & STATISTICS
A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A
successful woman is one who can find such a man.
HAPPINESS
To be happy with a man, you must understand him a lot and love him a
little.
To be happy with a woman, you must love her a lot and not try to
understand her at all.
LONGEVITY
Married men live longer than single men, but Married men are a lot more
willing to die.

PROPENSITY TO CHANGE
A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't. A man
marries a woman expecting that she won't change, and she does.

DISCUSSION TECHNIQUE
A woman has the last word in any argument.
Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
FYI:

HOW TO STOP PEOPLE FROM BUGGING YOU ABOUT GETTING MARRIED:
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and
cackling, telling me, "You're next."
They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

This post was edited

Bra is the diminuative of brassiere. :)

This post was edited

Bra: woman's underbodice, abbreviated from the French brassire,"child's chemise; shoulder strap" (17c.). Modern use is a euphemistic borrowing in use in the garment trade by 1905. Use of singular form preserved throughout.Yes, of course! Short for brassiere, lol

A joke is a question, short story, or depiction of a situation made with the intent of being humorous. To achieve this end, jokes may employ irony, sarcasm, word play and other devices. Jokes may have a punchline that will end the sentence to make it humorous.
That still doesn't make it plural. You could also ask for a pair of Calvin Klein jeans (if you can't find them on the shelf yourself, which is what I usually do).

This post was edited

The answer is:- Love n stuff Rudie x
Uh, yeah, whatever Rudie said.

While we're added, why is it that noses run and feet smell?

This post was edited

Bra: woman's underbodice, abbreviated from the French brassire,"child's chemise; shoulder strap" (17c.). Modern use is a euphemistic borrowing in use in the garment trade by 1905. Use of singular form preserved throughout.Yes, of course! Short for brassiere, lol

That still doesn't make it plural. You could also ask for a pair of Calvin Klein jeans (if you can't find them on the shelf yourself, which is what I usually do).
22 hours ago

Err, "Levi's" is not plural. It is a brand name and the 's indicates
ownership (ie. the pants belong to Levi, therefore, they are Levi's).
Why wouldn't a T-shirt be singular? It is one item. All shirts are
singular. A headset is singular because it is a SET of two earphones,
again, it makes sense. And sunglasses is plural because there are TWO
lenses, so once again, it makes sense. These examples are nothing like
the OP's question.
Speaking of the OP's question, I don't know about the bra but am
guessing the word "panties" evolved from the word "pants", sort of a
mini version of pants. Since pants is plural (two legs), panties also
remained plural. If it makes you sleep better, you can think of the two
openings for the legs as the reason they are plural, lol

What part of the above don't you understand? IT'S A JOKE.

This post was edited