What is normal

I have frequently been told that being Nude is not the normal thing for a person to be doing. I quite often reply " Well what is Normal". A normal person does not go Hang Gliding or collect Star Wars figures. Is normal something that most of the population do. A normal person does not go around killing people or go to church every Sunday. So what is normal. I would be interested in finding out other peoples views and what they have replied when asked this question.

This topic was edited
RE:What is normal

Normal is majority influenced. But has nothing to do with right or wrong. Nude was normal in Eden. Do we want to go back there? I sure do.

This post was edited

Define normal.

Something normal to one person or group may not and probably isnt to another person or group. A normal breakfast for me is cereal and milk while for others it is eggs, bacon, and coffee and Im sure it is something different in other cultures etc. Normal work attire might be suits while others would say jeans or shorts or possibly even a bathing suit. My point is how can anyone say nudity is not normal? It just means its not something *they* do.

This post was edited

Normal is majority influenced.

If options are available, normal defines the average choice. All other options are deviations.
Exclusion from the statistical equation is necessary, or else criticism ruins your day,

This post was edited

I think something is normal unless it's remarkable or unexpected. Going to church on Sunday mornings is normal; so is sleeping in, or going to the hardware store. Going to the office, not so much. Getting a speeding ticket or stubbing a toe are normal. Getting a littering ticket or jabbing yourself with scissors are not normal. Wearing a towel in the locker room is normal, and so is being naked. When "normal" is used to imply a judgement, it really indicates nothing more than what the speaker expects and wants.

This post was edited

Going to church on Sunday mornings is normal; so is sleeping in or going to the hardware store.
I've never slept in a hardware store.

This post was edited

I think that what might be irksome to OP is peoples' implication that what is abnormal (going nude) is somehow improper. Yes, normal describes what a majority does or thinks (eg the bell curve is also called the normal curve). Some abnormal things can pose problems, the vast majority do not But to people who value convention or conformity, departures from normal are always to be discouraged.

Going nude socially or even alone all day at home is not normal if considered statistically in Western society. But what a simple pleasure it is for you and me. Viva la abnormal!

This post was edited

One of my favorite sayings is "Normal is just a setting on the dryer".

There was a time in my life when I was obsessed with being considered normal, accepted, part of the gang... It's a powerful urge to be accepted! Gradually I realized that being "normal" was taking a big toll on me being who I am. I've loosened up a lot over the years, and embracing nudism is a part of that. I try to never offend, but I am a lot less worried about what others think of me. It's been very liberating.

This post was edited

I've never slept in a hardware store.

OK - I'll give you the comma: sleeping in, or going to the hardware store

This post was edited

There is a new normal everyday, it seems.
The classic response is "why be normal?"

This post was edited

We are social beings and as a result of that socialization, we have developed a culture. When Columbus landed in the Caribbean he found the natives to live without clothing, normal for them. As their culture changed with the influence of Europeans they too began to be clothed, something new but normal. We now find ourselves with a nudist subculture that is spread through a world in which the culture calls for clothing as more than just protection from the elements. So this subculture is not considered normal. Now if we were to all choose to live in the same region and the climate was suitable, the nudist culture could prevail, be normal, and clothed people would be seen as not normal. So you might say that normal is what your friends and neighbors say it is. Most of would like more naked friends and neighbors so we really could be considered normal.

This post was edited