El-dorado hot springs: Tonopah, Az

This is a true desert oasis!! You will be amazed once you pass through the rustic grounds on your way to your tub. It definately has a special quaint atmosphere like stepping into the past. I trully cannot stress what a relaxing experience this is. There is living bamboo surrounding the property for privacy and lots of trees for shade. My wife likes to sunbathe while I take a nap under a mesquite tree.There are several private areas that you may use or a community area, Desert Pete, where clothes are not allowed. This is my favorite place! The people you meet are so nice it is hard to believe they are from Phoenix. Once the clothes are off there is nothing to separate the classes....sort of an equalizer of people. It only takes about 15 minutes for you to feel truly comfortable once the shock value is over. We have met everyone from a Fortune 500 CEO to tree hugger hippies. Not one bad character yet! We have made friends with several regulers and my wife can't wait to go back and visit them.Now the water! You have never experienced a soak like this. The natural minerals and other chemical components act as a conditioner and makes your skin and hair silky soft! The water can be as warm as 102F (like a hot tub) and most soaking locations have a cool tub too. There is a small amt of lithium in the water which adds to the ultimate relaxing experience. You will sleep like a baby after an hour soak! I swear that my bad back dosen't ache for a week or more after a visit and my wife is free from migranes!!(Bonus)There are several "cabins" that you can stay in but don't expect the Marriot. They are small but make a delightful place to take a nap or stay the night. Camping is my preferred method of staying there overnight. You can hook up an RV or pitch a tent. When my wife's college girlfriends were in town we had a party in the Desert Pete area. There were more girls than guys! I love this place. If you want to be social, Saturday afternoons seem to be the busiest time.We even cooked over a campfire (they sell firewood too). Our tent was only feet away from an awsome mineral midnight soak!! Again you will be amazed how many stars you can see away from the city lights! I highly recommend El Dorado Hot Springs to EVERYONE!!! If you drive to California from phoenix via the I-10 freeway, you must stop and try!! You will never pass it up again!! We always make extra time for it. Take Exit 94 and turn south on 411th ave. Turn right on Indian School. You will be able to see it. The people that work there are the nicest you could expect. (..and they aren't paying me to say that!) True desert hospilatity at its best! You will not find anyplace else like this - this close to Phoenix. A true desert oasis!

This topic was edited
RE: El-dorado hot springs: Tonopah, Az

I visited there about a dozen years ago...rustic but neat place. Enjoyed a soak and a nude afternoon. I still have a bottle full of that water kicking around here somewhere.

This post was edited

The owners used to travel the country in an RV, writing stories for nudist publications. I met them at Cherokee Lodge during two conventions, and they are very nice people.

The sold it and now have another property that they allow visitors. Bill & Camilla are long time friends of my husband and me.

This post was edited

I haven't talked to Bill & Camilla in about 12 years...I hope they're doing well! I didn't realize they had sold El Dorado.

This post was edited

They're doing beautifully. Email Travelites, and I'll reply with their current email address for them.

This post was edited

I always make a point to stop by on my way back from Phoenix. Wonderful spot!

This post was edited

Planning a winter trip to AZ and will have to stop there. thanks for the input and directions.

This post was edited

I am driving from Los Angeles to Phoenix for work, and I was thinking of stopping there on my way for an hour soak, and maybe meet a few fellow nudists. I called earlier and they guy on the phone was so polite and friendly. He was happy to answer all my questions. I am a new nudist, and this place seems so inviting. I hope my travel plans allow enough time. I have abusy day before I hit the road. I will certainly report back my feelings if I make it there.

This post was edited

My travel plans did not go as hoped, so I was not able to stop on my way out, but I finally did on my way back. I got there a little before opening so I went in just as he opened up. Turns out there was a bad storm the night before, it rained like mad in Tempe, but all he got at El Dorado was a huge dust storm. He felt bad about the condition of the place and was working hard all morning cleaning up. he did have 2 of the tubs in the Semi Private nude area in good shape, and besides a few twigs and leaves around, it looked in real goodshape to me. I was the only customer that ealry. I had to get back here to Los Angeles, so I wanted to maximise my time. Another man came in about a half hour later. So not much to judge the company from. I just loved being free to walk around there in the nude. I tried out the smaller tub first, it was so relaxing. The larger in ground tub was great too, but now I really understand why he called in the lobster pot. After less than 10 minutes, my face was pouring sweat. He said it can top 108F that is higher than I have ever been in in a hot tub. It is hard to believe the water comes out of the ground even hotter, they have to cool it a bit in a tank before it goes to the tubs. I certainly look forward to going back. I travel to thePhoenix area a few times a year, and El Dorado is certainly on my to-do list anytime I am driving across the I10 now. Hopefully I will meet up with some of you next time.

This post was edited

I love the place. I only have two gripes:
- The new owners don't allow nudity outside of the enclosed areas. Bill kinda turned the normal rules on their heads with the "nudity required in the public enclosure" thing, but the new owners aren't into nudism the same way. It's far from a deal killer.
- I like the set up in all the private areas. The "rustic" settings are what I like about the place, except one. Desert Garden has a hot tub. Yes, it's the same water as everywhere else, but for me, all that fiberglass and the feeling that I'm in a back yard in Oro Valley goes against the mood of the place.
Other than that, I visit as often as I can. I didn't go over the summer, of course. I may be a nudist, but I'm not insane.

This post was edited

I had the chance for a return visit earlier this year. As noted in the earlier posts, Bill & Camilla sold this place several years ago and did some traveling but still live next door and although they do not have a commercial operation, they do allow previous customers and friends to come stay if you get in contact with them.I had heard some negative comments about the new owners, especially the day manager, but I have not experienced any of that over my visits over the last 3 years. Two of those visits were overnight stays in one of the cabins and one was a day visit. While I enjoy the social aspect of soaking, to soak there after midnight with the mini-lights off so you can see the "billions and billions" of stars in the sky, often seeing the shooting stars and the many aircraft on their way to western destinations. A wonderful place to visit.

This post was edited