Nudists and personal space.

I know that people in the non-nudist world have different needs/proclivities when it comes to personal space. But does that change in the nudist world?

Here are three nudist resort scenarios where personal space might be "infringed" upon:

- You're sitting in the pool area, on the edge of your chair, when someone you know walking towards the shower, stops to have a quick chat. They stand there for a minute or two, chatting away, not really thinking about the fact that they're standing up, you're sitting down and they're standing two feet away from you.

- You're sitting on a bench next to another person. The bench is barely long enough for three people. Suddenly, the person's partner walks over and plops down right between the two of you. You lean over to the side to make room but it doesn't matter: the third person's flank is touching yours.

- You're showering (coed) when a Mom and her two kids join you in the shower. She picks the one right next to you - the only one available. As she makes room for her kids to shower, she steps into your personal space; and so there's a woman right next to you as you're lathering.

These scenarios are not at all fictitious. I've either seen it happen or it's happened to me. I'm curious about how other nudists here feel about personal space; and does it take on a different meaning when nudity is involved?

This topic was edited
RE:Nudists and personal space.

I know that people in the non-nudist world have different needs/proclivities when it comes to personal space. But does that change in the nudist world?Here are three nudist resort scenarios where personal space might be "infringed" upon:- You're sitting in the pool area, on the edge of your chair, when someone you know walking towards the shower, stops to have a quick chat. They stand there for a minute or two, chatting away, not really thinking about the fact that they're standing up, you're sitting down and they're standing two feet away from you.- You're sitting on a bench next to another person. The bench is barely long enough for three people. Suddenly, the person's partner walks over and plops down right between the two of you. You lean over to the side to make room but it doesn't matter: the third person's flank is touching yours.- You're showering (coed) when a Mom and her two kids join you in the shower. She picks the one right next to you - the only one available. As she makes room for her kids to shower, she steps into your personal space; and so there's a woman right next to you as you're lathering.These scenarios are not at all fictitious. I've either seen it happen or it's happened to me. I'm curious about how other nudists here feel about personal space; and does it take on a different meaning when nudity is involved?

Assuming Youre male.
Scenario number 1 is the someone who walks up male or female?
Scenario number 2 is the someone who plops down male or female?
Scenario number 3 ok youre male the rude one is female. Her kids are in the shower with you. Exit as soon as possible
In none of these scenarios can you or the others be dressed. There is no way to compare the proclivities
It is an interesting subject. Please answer my questions. My reactions would be different depending on the sex of the other people involved.

This post was edited

Assuming Youre male.
Indeed
Scenario number 1 is the someone who walks up male or female?
Male
Scenario number 2 is the someone who plops down male or female?
Female

Although I think it can all be easily interchangeable.

This post was edited

For me there is really no difference nude or not, for that matter gender of the other person makes no matter either. No 1 I would probably stand up to visit with him or ask him to sit and visit, nude or not.
No2 as long as no one is falling off, no foul. Now if her body language says" get outta the way" , well I would get up, again nude or not.
No3 I was there first, if the mom's ok to jump in it's ok by me. I tend to talk to people in the shower anyway, so if the other person is ok, Im ok.
My personal space is pretty small, sounds as if the folks you are discussing are the same. Knowing that others probably need more space, I let the other person determine the "space". Respect others, seems no1 and no2 forgot that, no3 , well she's trying to heard cats so cut some slack there :)

This post was edited

Assuming Youre male.IndeedScenario number 1 is the someone who walks up male or female?MaleScenario number 2 is the someone who plops down male or female?FemaleAlthough I think it can all be easily interchangeable.

Scenario number 1
- You're sitting in the pool area, on the edge of your chair, when someone you know walking towards the shower, stops to have a quick chat. They stand there for a minute or two, chatting away, not really thinking about the fact that they're standing up, you're sitting down and they're standing two feet away from you.

Had this happen. A friend who thought standing close to you while you were sitting was funny. Hewould stand with his dick a foot or two from your face. One day I was sitting on the toilet at a nudist camp. My friend thought this would be a good time to dangle his dung in front of me. As he did so, I sat up straight and leaned back. The fool moved closer. I slapped the head of is dangling dong with my fingertips. He didn't think his little joke was funny ever again.

Scenario number 2
- You're sitting on a bench next to another person. The bench is barely long enough for three people. Suddenly, the person's partner walks over and plops down right between the two of you. You lean over to the side to make room but it doesn't matter: the third person's flank is touching yours.

Never had this happen. I think I would sit back. Let nature take its course. I know what will happen if a women rubs her naked flank against my naked flank. Soon I'd being apologizing for it and she would be apologizing for causing it. She will only do it again if she enjoyed it. Hopefully her partner, male or female, is an understanding person

Scenario number 3
You're male, the rude one is female. Her kids are in the shower with you. Exit as soon as possible

This post was edited

For me there is really no difference nude or not, for that matter gender of the other person makes no matter either. No 1 I would probably stand up to visit with him or ask him to sit and visit, nude or not.No2 as long as no one is falling off, no foul. Now if her body language says" get outta the way" , well I would get up, again nude or not.No3 I was there first, if the mom's ok to jump in it's ok by me. I tend to talk to people in the shower anyway, so if the other person is ok, Im ok.My personal space is pretty small, sounds as if the folks you are discussing are the same. Knowing that others probably need more space, I let the other person determine the "space". Respect others, seems no1 and no2 forgot that, no3 , well she's trying to heard cats so cut some slack there :)

Agreed, no difference, nude or not. Gender has zero to do with it. Personal space is personal space, regardless.

This post was edited

Agreed, no difference, nude or not. Gender has zero to do with it. Personal space is personal space, regardless.

I was thinking though about how questions of formality and informality that might come into play in the textile world, but not in the nudist world. For example, in a more formal work environment, personal space might expand based on what's acceptable in a more professional environment compared to the space you need when you all meet up at a bar after work. And where clothes can indicate social hierarchy and levels of formality, that's all out the window when everyone is naked.

So for me, my own needs for personal space do change when I'm naked, but I think that space gets smaller, the same as it does when I'm clothed and feeling relaxed and comfortable.

And gender shouldn't weigh in, in an ideal world, if you believe (and I do) that non-sexual nudity can exist in social situations. But this isn't always an ideal world, eh.

This post was edited

So, you are nude sitting on the toilet.
A friend sticks his crotch in your face.
He moves it to within two feet of your face.
And you say you wouldn't care if his naked dangling dong was two feet from your face.
You wouldn't rather he was fully dressed instead of naked?

This post was edited

I would have no more problem naked compared with clothed in all cases.
1, I fail to understand how anybody could make proper conversation from that close unless, of course, they needed to stand close because of considerations of the space behind them.
2. I would ask the person at the other end to make a little more space.
3. If it was getting in the way of my showering properly I would ask for a little more space.

This post was edited

So, you are nude sitting on the toilet.A friend sticks his crotch in your face.He moves it to within two feet of your face.And you say you wouldn't care if his naked dangling dong was two feet from your face.You wouldn't rather he was fully dressed instead of naked?
What do you expect if you leave the cubicle door open. He would have needed to get that close in order to not be standing outside the cubicle.

This post was edited

Sounds a if the friend, using that term loosely, got what he deserved. I read the original question as just a casual incident, not an obviously aggressive invasion of space. Much different situation and not to be tolerated. Some people are just dicks.

This post was edited