Fitness advice

Hey fellas,

So I am just beginning to get into establishing a solid gym routine. As you all can probably see from photos, I'm pretty lanky and want to work towards building (a little) mass and especially just toning it all up. I am reaching out to see if there are any gym buffs, afficiandos, or guys who have a similar build to me but also has a solid gym routine. Looking for some solid advice and ideally ways to structure my gym time best.

Kinda a shot in the dark, but if you feel like you could help, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to message me.

thanks,
tj

This topic was edited
RE:Fitness advice

Hey fellas,So I am just beginning to get into establishing a solid gym routine. As you all can probably see from photos, I'm pretty lanky and want to work towards building (a little) mass and especially just toning it all up. I am reaching out to see if there are any gym buffs, afficiandos, or guys who have a similar build to me but also has a solid gym routine. Looking for some solid advice and ideally ways to structure my gym time best.Kinda a shot in the dark, but if you feel like you could help, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to message me.thanks,tj

1. You look fine.

2. If you want to get fit for your own health and well-being then go for it!

I say join a local gym and see what their trainers think. Good luck, man.

This post was edited

1. You look fine.2. If you want to get fit for your own health and well-being then go for it!I say join a local gym and see what their trainers think. Good luck, man.

Thanks man. Yeah I would say I am trying to develop healthier habits but still stuck with basic ways to begin.

This post was edited

If you are looking to put on some mass and tone, then try out a local CrossFit gym. It is a great full body workout sure to increase your muscle tone.

I never thought I would like CrossFit due to all of the negative comments, but I have loved it and amazed by the results.

This post was edited

If you are looking to put on some mass and tone, then try out a local CrossFit gym. It is a great full body workout sure to increase your muscle tone.I never thought I would like CrossFit due to all of the negative comments, but I have loved it and amazed by the results.

true-- good suggestion!

This post was edited

I used to look just like you, same weight.
Had this job that was a bit physical and hurt my back. Decided it was time to build my upper body for lifting so it would take the pressure off my spine.
I couldn't always get to a gym so I picked of some weights at a garage sale one day and bought a curl bar. Started doing push ups too.
I committed to three times a day. Morning, right after work and just before bed. Three sets of 20 reps is perfect, even 30 is okay for starting out. Just adjust your weight as necessary and don't overstep your comfortable weight limit. If you hurt yourself at first, it's a quick way get discouraged.
Eventually, I picked up some dumb bells for curls behind my head.

You'll need to increase your protein intake to build muscle mass. Exercise will stretch your muscle tissue but protein and water is needed for them to grow and fill in after stretched. 60 grams a day is a good number to shoot for if you work out daily, that's a lot of fish and chicken! 3 eggs for breakfast and a glass of milk and your'e half way there. Tuna salad is a good high protein meal as well, Tuna, mayo and pickle relish! Bamm! Lunch! Salad for dinner!
I think I started with a 35 pound bar at first. After a couple years my "heavy" bar was 120 pounds and my build was amazing and ripped at a buck 50. A physique that was Bruce Lee-ish!
I'm still in decent shape for 60. Have my own Universal gym in the garage, a preacher curl bench and a bun and thigh master for my quads and glutes. It gets a bit more dusty these days it seems, but just writing this is giving me the itch.

Let me add that stretching is underrated! I don't mean just before your workout! I have a routine where I try to stretch every muscle in my body with twisting , turning, bending and flexing in every way I can possibly conceive. Takes just a few minutes. It's a good way loosen up all those less frequently used muscles and helps a lot with your toning. I especially enjoy it nude, in the sun on summer mornings. It's really stimulating, good for your blood flow and gets you ready for your day. Get creative!

Hope this helps and Happy Pumping!

This post was edited

I have the same goal as you have. It is difficult to build muscle. You will notice the success in small steps. I wish you success!

This post was edited

I used to look just like you, same weight.Had this job that was a bit physical and hurt my back. Decided it was time to build my upper body for lifting so it would take the pressure off my spine.I couldn't always get to a gym so I picked of some weights at a garage sale one day and bought a curl bar. Started doing push ups too.I committed to three times a day. Morning, right after work and just before bed. Three sets of 20 reps is perfect, even 30 is okay for starting out. Just adjust your weight as necessary and don't overstep your comfortable weight limit. If you hurt yourself at first, it's a quick way get discouraged.Eventually, I picked up some dumb bells for curls behind my head.You'll need to increase your protein intake to build muscle mass. Exercise will stretch your muscle tissue but protein and water is needed for them to grow and fill in after stretched. 60 grams a day is a good number to shoot for if you work out daily, that's a lot of fish and chicken! 3 eggs for breakfast and a glass of milk and your'e half way there. Tuna salad is a good high protein meal as well, Tuna, mayo and pickle relish! Bamm! Lunch! Salad for dinner!I think I started with a 35 pound bar at first. After a couple years my "heavy" bar was 120 pounds and my build was amazing and ripped at a buck 50. A physique that was Bruce Lee-ish!I'm still in decent shape for 60. Have my own Universal gym in the garage, a preacher curl bench and a bun and thigh master for my quads and glutes. It gets a bit more dusty these days it seems, but just writing this is giving me the itch.Let me add that stretching is underrated! I don't mean just before your workout! I have a routine where I try to stretch every muscle in my body with twisting , turning, bending and flexing in every way I can possibly conceive. Takes just a few minutes. It's a good way loosen up all those less frequently used muscles and helps a lot with your toning. I especially enjoy it nude, in the sun on summer mornings. It's really stimulating, good for your blood flow and gets you ready for your day. Get creative!Hope this helps and Happy Pumping!
Plus, if you work out at home you can do so nude!

This post was edited

So I am not a buff guy, but I used to be super skinny and was able to put on 40 pounds during my college years, and have maintained my higher weight in the couple years since. So some primary tips:

Diet: Learn to count calories. Find out how many calories it takes each day to keep a steady weight over a week, then add 500 to your daily intake. Aim to gain around 1 lb per week, as this is the max rate of muscle growth the body can attain. You will likely gain some amount of fat while bulking up. Get lots of protein, about 1g per day for each pound of your body weight. This is vital for feeding muscle growth.

Exercise: Get a quality gym membership, or buy at-home equipment if you prefer (and can afford it). Focus on larger compound exercises to start, such as squats, bench press, deadlifts, and overhead press. These are great for building a strength foundation and stimulating growth hormone production. Watch online video tutorials to learn proper lifting technique and safety, or else you wont see much progress and you can easily hurt yourself. Aim for 8-12 reps per set, and around 3-5 sets per exercise. You want to use heavy weights, but only go as heavy as you can do with good technique (check your ego at the door) and steadily progress higher over time.

Rest: Always make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day every day, and be sure to get lots of rest and sleep. Shoot for the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep every night. This is crucial, as your body doesnt build muscle when youre awake, it does it when youre asleep and producing special hormones to repair damaged muscle tissue. So you want plenty of sleep each night.

Final tip: Dont be discouraged if you dont find yourself looking all that different right away. Building muscle is a slow, arduous process, and it can take several weeks or months before you notice a difference. Also dont be discouraged if you start seeing development, but still dont have the same shape or definition of some guys. Everyone is gifted in different muscle groups. Some guys have naturally good pecs, or shoulders, or arms, or calves, or butts. Just pick up effort where you lag, but dont let it get you down.

Hope any of this helps, and good luck!

This post was edited

So I am not a buff guy, but I used to be super skinny and was able to put on 40 pounds during my college years, and have maintained my higher weight in the couple years since. So some primary tips:Diet: Learn to count calories. Find out how many calories it takes each day to keep a steady weight over a week, then add 500 to your daily intake. Aim to gain around 1 lb per week, as this is the max rate of muscle growth the body can attain. You will likely gain some amount of fat while bulking up. Get lots of protein, about 1g per day for each pound of your body weight. This is vital for feeding muscle growth.Exercise: Get a quality gym membership, or buy at-home equipment if you prefer (and can afford it). Focus on larger compound exercises to start, such as squats, bench press, deadlifts, and overhead press. These are great for building a strength foundation and stimulating growth hormone production. Watch online video tutorials to learn proper lifting technique and safety, or else you wont see much progress and you can easily hurt yourself. Aim for 8-12 reps per set, and around 3-5 sets per exercise. You want to use heavy weights, but only go as heavy as you can do with good technique (check your ego at the door) and steadily progress higher over time.Rest: Always make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day every day, and be sure to get lots of rest and sleep. Shoot for the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep every night. This is crucial, as your body doesnt build muscle when youre awake, it does it when youre asleep and producing special hormones to repair damaged muscle tissue. So you want plenty of sleep each night.Final tip: Dont be discouraged if you dont find yourself looking all that different right away. Building muscle is a slow, arduous process, and it can take several weeks or months before you notice a difference. Also dont be discouraged if you start seeing development, but still dont have the same shape or definition of some guys. Everyone is gifted in different muscle groups. Some guys have naturally good pecs, or shoulders, or arms, or calves, or butts. Just pick up effort where you lag, but dont let it get you down.Hope any of this helps, and good luck!

Thanks man, this was all super helpful

This post was edited

I know from experience you can't change your body type . It will be hard to gain bulk . If u have a low body fat go with what u have long distance and cardio . I be leaner and more toned. Cross fit suits bulky guys who can eat what they like . So u be better as a triathlete . Hi for that .

This post was edited