What happens when your child suddenly wants to cover up

I am asking this due to a son approaching 8yo. I have often pondered what advise or action I ought to undertake when and if such a moment occurs. If he has been raised nude, I would hope he would grow adolescence and remain a naturist. Would welcome others advice....just to prepare myself. No matter how much one thinks they are it never the less can come out of the blue.

This topic was edited
RE:What happens when your child suddenly wants to cover up

I find that typically nudist children will want to start covering up when puberty begins. They start feeling awkward about their bodies because of all the changes that are happening that they themselves may have difficulty comprehending and accepting.

My best advice is to keep reassuring your son when that starts happening. Remind him that the changes are natural and that there's no need to be embarrassed. Make sure you're always open to talk to him if he does start to feel embarrassed about his changing body. Puberty is an awkward time for every growing child; just be there for him to help him through it.

This post was edited

I was raised in a clothing optional home and might be able to help.

I was completely comfortable nude, and in fact preferred to be nude at and around home. On the rare occasions I participated in organized nude activities, I didn't think twice.

Then, along came high school.

I started to cover up. Why? Teasing and peer pressure. Actually, the teasing over my deep all-over tan might have started in jr. high in the gym showers, but it really kicked in when high school started. I was ruthlessly teased about it. I decided the way to stop the teasing was to either cover up or get some tan lines fast. Word was already out that I was a nudist, so tan lines wouldn't fool anyone, so I just started covering up all the time.

I started to discover that clothing didn't just hide my changing body, but clothing also dictated what social group accepted or rejected me, which peers would be my friend or my enemy, and even what music I thought was cool. Clothing began to form my persona.

Sometime toward the end of high school, I started to build some muscle and teasing was no longer an issue unless they wanted to get their teeth knocked out. Also about that same time, I started to miss my old self.

When college started, I pretty much went full blown nazi nudist. I was nude as often as possible. In the co-ed dorm area, showers were at the ends of the hallways, and not co-ed, but the sink areas were co-ed. I walked to/from the showers nude and just pretty much let everyone know I was a nudist and wasn't ashamed of it. Girls seemed to really dig this, for some reason. I made it perfectly clear that I was not interested in any physical relationships and that I was saving myself for marriage, but I was nude all the time. Since I was also studying to become an engineer, I ended up tutoring a lot of girls in subjects, and had as many as 3 girls in my dorm room at once. I was the only one nude, except for this one time. That's another story! The hippies thought I was cool. The conservatives thought I was doing it for religious reasons.

Anyway, after college, I felt somewhat empowered by being nude. I discovered that it wasn't a sign of sexuality, but more like a sign of humility and innocence. I began to see nudity in a much more healthy way. I also discovered that being nude is personal.

I turned out just fine (I think). I make really good money, completely debt-free, excellent marriage, and do a lot of volunteer work for my community. What else could you ask of someone?

This post was edited

For me, it was also that I had a "clothing" phase, after I did very early and very intense naturist, I wanted to show me at puberty for a few years, not even at home. That has eventually settled again and the clothes were fixed away.

This post was edited

My son is 16 and glad to be naked again after a couple of years of covering up. He was never really shy, though more awkward about being naked. In middle school, he valued and copied what his friends did overall, but he seems to have outgrown it to return to being his own person.

At times when the boys are hungry, Ill get right out of the shower and make them pancakes as I air dry. One morning he complained to me that none of his friends' dads made pancakes naked. How he knows that isn't clear to me, but my experience is that dads don't care much about nudity, it's the moms that do. So I responded to him that his friends' dads probably don't care if anyone is naked, but listen to the moms who set the rules in the house. And in our house, moms don't set the rules. That seems to have helped because after a few months he was more casual about getting dressed coming out of the shower.

I let my sons be comfortable, naked or dressed. I don't want clothing or lack thereof to be an issue.

This post was edited

we were raised nude, and i for one couldnt wait to be old enough to say 'no i dont want to go this weekend'. i wanted to do the things my peers did, and to investigate and experience life with the rest of the world. i returned to nudism , with my wife, when our children were old enough that they didnt require us to be at home with them 24/7. did/would we include our children in the nude lifestyle? no. not a chance.

This post was edited

Are you a nudist dad? If you are a nudist dad then I think it will not a much problem to you. If you raised your son as nudist then he may also can get you nude. Just tell him that he is nothing to be ashamed about it. It is very much normal for men when he being grown up. Such as you .

This post was edited