Save a Classic Muscle Car, don't text and drive

This just happened. My Equipment Rep / friend who I was originally was to meet up and show our cars a month ago did not attend and I was unable as well. He sent an email later to all of his Equipment Dealers he was in an accident and would be out for a while, he sent Luann an email to our office he was banged up pretty well and asked her to handle our inventory paperwork for him so it was concerning to us. Yesterday he finally appeared in the office and showed us what his '69 440 Super Bee now looks like. A lady blew thru a stop light with cell in front of her face texting away as he was passing through the intersection and now no more '69 Super Bee show car.

How does he know she was texting? The car certainly draws attention with it's looks and sound so there were several witness's at the intersection including a Police Officer that saw the crash. It's a man thing, I asked him "but where is the car ?!!" Perhaps I should have been asking about his injuries first ya think? He told me it's gone, Haggerty totaled it, cut him a check for large 5 figures and they are going to auction it.

Personally I'm glad that is how Haggerty is handling it as I believe the car can be brought back from the dead. I've seen some awful remnants of vehicles being resurrected to show quality by those with the knowledge and skill set.

This topic was edited
RE:Save a Classic Muscle Car, don't text and drive

Man... that sucks! I get so annoyed with drivers that text and drive. What happened to ONLY paying attention to driving while behind the wheel!? You'd think it's just the younger people but I've seen some older people doing it and scarier are the big rig drivers doing it!

I don't have Haggerty Ins and probably should but my '67 Chevelle isn't show quality even though I do show it at shows! :DDD Still trying to sell it but need to get it out of the garage so people know it's for sale! ;D

This post was edited

Collector car insurance has paid off well for me. It paid when my 64 Vette was stolen and has been quite affordable for my T & Charger. I don't use them for work & just exercise them regularly :& summer car shows.

This post was edited

I'm going out on a limb you were pretty shell shocked and sick to find your Vette had been stolen.

This post was edited

Shocked is putting it lightly. I opened the locked garage door and the garage was empty. I did the only logical thing; I went around and openede the side door. Shockingly, it still wasn't there. My mind was disconnected from reality.

This post was edited

OMG! So Sorry! I was fortunate to find a storage spot for my sons and my car hidden in plain site but no one knows there is a space inside my customers business bldg that I rented. I hate renting anything but this was more than worthwhile to me. One thing I know they would steal this 20K car before they would steal Luann's new 40K F150.

This post was edited

I ended up selling my '67 Chevelle. It sat and sat and it just wasn't getting driven nor was I willing to spend lots of money to do what needed to be done. This model isn't my favorite Chevelle and though I'm a Chevy guy, I'm more a Mopar Muscle Car guy. Seeing it drive away from the curb didn't bother me much at all.

The Chevelle had so many quirks and unlike many new car drivers or new drivers, I paid attention to the dash and gauges. There was no time or attention paid to the cell phone, that car required you to pay attention to driving it. It's been gone since mid January and my new Jeep enjoys being parked in the garage. We finally have a clear driveway and front curb with no vehicles parked. On rare occasion, the motorhome sits on the curb so I can work on it or pack it for a trip and unpack it after a trip. My bank account looks healthy again after selling the Chevelle! ;D

This post was edited

I rarely drive our '73 Duster except across town or to a car show. I forgot what a chore it is to drive a no power steering or AC car with a loud grumbling engine/ exhaust. It sounds sweet just sitting still or slow cruising through town and that is good enough for me . You can feel the rumble of power, torque and a built transmission wanting to break out. I forgot what a chore it is to drive than say Luann's Navigator. There is no listening to the radio with 1 hand on the steering wheel drinking a cup of coffee with the other.

This post was edited

Learned to drive in a '57 Ford with a wagon wheel sized steering wheel, no PS, no PB's and an AM radio... No A/C and the heater didn't work either! ;DDD I thankfully didn't have to take my drivers test in that car but had to take it in my mother's 67 Plymouth station wagon. Parallel park that beast as a beginner driver! hahahaha What I'd give to have either of those cars today.

Nowadays, I need some but not all the creature comforts; PS, PB's and electric windows and locks, A/C and heater, satellite radio capabilities. My Chevelle had power steering, power brakes but too many other things were either falling apart or needed complete replacement. Glad it's gone for a few reasons!

This post was edited

Not sure if you would call this a Muscle car. Back in 1999 I had a 1974 Buick Electra 4 door hard top. It had a big 455 motor and love the ride, nice and smooth. It was white exterior with green paisley seats and green carpet (yuk). It was fine when I would drive it, but when my wife would want to drive I had my knees in the dashboard. It did not have 60/40 split seats so I would insist that I drive. It did have seat belts but no shoulder. Instead of them they had an air bag in the steering wheel. It ended up with so much rust I had to get rid of it. I also have my 1970 Opel GT which I got in 1998. Now that is a fun car to drive. I wanted one of those back in 1970 but my stepdad talk me out of it. But one thing about this car as Im getting older. I have to crawl in and roll out of it and then try to stand up. It is so close to the ground. Once in Im fine. My wife cannot drive it it has a 4 speed manual. The heat down here has taken a toll on the interior but now that I have time that is my next project.

This post was edited

I'd have to say that that '74 Buick Electra 4 dr was more of a Land Yacht! It needed that 455 ci to get all that metal rolling down the highway!! It's one of those cars you wanted for the drive in! LOL With a full bench seat in the front, it was a SOB car. When you had a date and she was sitting in the passenger seat, you took a hard right turn and she'd Slide Over Baby! My mom's station wagon was an SOB car! ;D

This post was edited