Skin Cancer - Are you worried? I wasn't, until now.

During my hours in the sun throughout the many past years I really wasn't worried about skin cancer. I was careful not to burn, yet didn't use strong sunscreen. Besides, I did not like the smell or the greasy feeling of sunscreen on the skin. Then it happened. Last month I had blood spots on the towel after showering. I found a small sore at the very top or bridge of my nose. It wouldn't heal. A biopsy was taken. Proved to be Squamous cell cancer and close to becoming melanoma cell. Yesterday was the surgery. Started with an initial removal of skin and flesh the size less than a dime. Four additional slicings and removal of skin ended in a chunk of nose missing the size of larger than a quarter. Skin graft from the neck had to be taken. All of this is extremely painful, can't wear glasses, and just down right inconvenient. Besides, I look like I have walked into a Mack truck. Now I have another spot of concern, on the tip of the glans. A biopsy has just been taken...
I never thought it would happen to me. But now at age 68 it has. May I suggest that skin cancer knows of no boundaries, and maximum effort should be taken to prevent this afflection from happening to you.

This topic was edited
RE: Skin Cancer - Are you worried? I wasn't, until now.

Well, I hope you get better and heal quickly.And your story has given me pause to rethink, as I don't normally use any type of skin protection.. As I truly think that the chemicals that are in a sun screen causes the skin cancer and not the sun..

This post was edited

I hope you guys make a full recovery, you're in my thoughts.

This post was edited

I've had a carcinoma removed manyyears ago andI'm the palest nudist you'll ever meet. When I got to a clothing optional resort or nude parties, I'll be by the pool after sunset to the early hours of the morning but you'll never catch me thereduring the day.

This post was edited

I do worry about skin cancer. Almost four years ago, I had an unsual type of melanoma that has no pigment (so, the things to watch out for(Asymatry, Border, Color and Diameter) didn't really apply). It had reached stage II before I accidentally scratched the area right wherethe cancerwas and the scratch wouldn't heal.
BTW-if they have to do a skin graft, it is important to know that the sitewhere they take the skin from for the graft is going to be where it hurts the most and the longest. Thankfully, my surgeon used skin from thefront of my upper thigh rather than my rear end.

This post was edited

I became aware when 17 or so years ago, I had a sore on my ear that wouldn't heal. Happily, the surgeon was excellent, and it's not noticeable at all.
This past summer, my husband had a basal cell (1"x1/2" and down to the cartilage in the pinna of his ear). The surgeon he visited was great and the plastics physician was also skillful, and that' isn't that obvious. He now has one on the bridge of his nose that will be excised on Feb. 22nd. Here's hoping it's not as difficult as the one on his ear.

A couple of months ago, I've had a couple of areas zapped by our dermatologist and will visit her for full body scans annually. She is aware I'm a skinnydipper.

This post was edited

In Feb of last year, I had pain to one of my nipples... I rushed to get pain cream, it didn't work. Long story short. I had my right nipple removed, then had a staph infection. LONG YEAR to say the least. Be warned, use spf 15 or higher.
Want a pic? LOL

This post was edited

My dermatologist has a sign in his office . . . ."Pale is the new tanned".

This post was edited

3 weeks ago I had one on my temple. Started out the size of a pencil and after surgery it was a little bigger than a quarter.
Luckly the doc was good. Keeped it in the hair line. I used sunscreen but not in the hair. Go figger!!!

This post was edited
Melanoma

I had 3 surgeries for Melanoma in 2010. After the biopsy results each surgeon told me I was lucky to be alive. When young we think that we are 'bullet proof' but the truth is that the worst damage is done in our youth. Please look after yourselves, and especially your children. Moles which are changing in size, varied in color, asymetrical, of raised texture, or have irregular margins need to be checked immediately. I love my nudist friends, please take care!

This post was edited
Skin cancer

As a health care professinal and a naturist, I am very worried about skin cancer. It's not like other cancers, in that it can take years for anything to ever appear on your skin. Luckily, it can often be treated with a good prgnosis. I apply plenty of sunscreen when I'm naked outdoors. One of my friends accused me of not being much ofa nudist because I didn't have an all over tan. I asked him what he thought about tanning after he had a squamous cell lesion removed from his shoulder.

This post was edited