Body image issues

I've always been enamored by the idea of nudism - being able to be naked and unashamed, to be unbothered about what the world thinks about your body.
I have a untreatable genetic skin condition (steatocystoma multiplex - google it if you dare), while its completely benign I find it really hard to accept my own body and have been quite insecure about even going to the beach or swimming pool because of the fear of people's reactions.
I have heard many people say things like all bodies are beautiful despite different shapes and sizes, but I wonder if skin conditions fall into a different category.
To date I have never seen a nudist with bad skin (i.e. Neurofibromatosis, eczema, psoriasis, vitiligo - yeah go google all of them again) and I am still afraid of reactions when people see my naked body (of course my profile pic is taken at an angle and lighting where this isnt obvious).
I really would like to try out being nude in a social setting - and perhaps eventually come to terms with my body. Where I stay nudism is a social taboo and frowned upon. Hoping for some opportunities to hang out nude with people!

I guess what I want to ask is have you guys ever seen a nudist with bad skin, and how would you react? Given you may not know of these conditions beforehand.

This topic was edited
RE:Body image issues

Yours is an unfortunate case, and I must admit that Ive never noticed anyone at a nude venue with a similar skin condition, but only those abnormalities which are blatantly obvious attract my attention. I believe it is natural for people to be curious about things they have never seen before. People who look markedly different from what we generally consider to be normal should not be disturbed because they attract some unwanted attention. People will satisfy their curiosity and then move on. Practically everyone is more concerned with themselves than they are with a stranger with an unusual skin condition. Dont worry about it; nobody else really cares.

This post was edited

I think we all have things that we are not happy with and believe that others will also have a negative reaction to what we feel is unattractive. I have been at clothing optional places which people that have skin conditions, scars from surgeries, missing breast, legs, arms, fat, skinny, hairy, hairless and all other sorts of things that we have been told is unattractive. No one to my knowledge was ridiculed or told that they shouldnt be there,

As a fat person, I was apprehensive to disrobe in public the first time. There was no laughter only conversation about anything and everything. I think you should try a C.O. Place where you can become comfortable with the people around you and undress at your pace.

This post was edited

At my club clothing optional venue I have seen a variety of skin conditions. I dont know what all they are but the individuals move about freely and from what I have observed are apart of all kind of group activities from dances to dinners.

Hopefully you can find a similar situation where you are. While naturists arent perfect the response I have observed in this kind of situation has been positive.

This post was edited

I've seen a couple of nudists with whole-body plaque psoriasis. One of them got along very graciously; I watched him patiently explaining to a kid - "no, you can't catch it... it's good for me to let the sun shine on my skin" - the other tended to blame people's reactions to him on his skin , although they were actually responding to his sexual aggressiveness. I have gone in and out of a pretty serious eczema flare over the last couple of years, and if anybody noticed it, they said nothing. But... now that I'm through it, I get the occasional comment about how good my skin looks, so obviously they DID notice it, and extended me the courtesy of letting it go without comment at the time. As a kid, I had to reassure people sometimes - "no, you can't catch it." You might occasionally have to do the same, or for other reasons let people know that it's a genetic condition.

In terms of looks / image, it really is a non-issue. Nudist venues are really accepting - anything from ostomy bags to removable body parts to the dangling skin that comes from massive weight loss, to stretch marks... really, when we expose our bodies we are abandoning the "standard" image we all try to project when we put on clothes.

This post was edited

SteveinKona nailed it.

Let me add, as long as your cysts aren't oozing, then nobody is going to say anything. You might get a curious friendly question from someone after they get to know you a bit since your condition is very unusual.

One of the ladies in our club has something very similar to yours, her condition just looks like a zillion large skin tags all over areas. Nobody has ever said anything. We love her very much, her skin is just another thing that makes up "her" as a complete person.

I will admit to staring when I first met her about 20 years ago since I had never seen that before. But I was over it in like 2 minutes. After getting to know her, I don't even think about it anymore.

I suspect, the same will happen with you wherever you go.

This post was edited

This site is not nudism; it's the internet. Very few TN members have ever visited a resort or belonged to a club; most have never even been to free beach. No nudist venue has such a thing as "popularity." No nudist venue is so overwhelmingly male, unless it's specifically designated as such.

This post was edited

This site is not nudism; it's the internet. Very few TN members have ever visited a resort or belonged to a club; most have never even been to free beach. No nudist venue has such a thing as "popularity." No nudist venue is so overwhelmingly male, unless it's specifically designated as such.
Well worth saying.
I might add for the benefit of the original poster that if a man as breast fixated as I am can talk to a naked lady for a quarter of an hour without noticing that she had a mastectomy you certainly have nothing worth worrying about.

This post was edited

OP yes I have seen some with skin conditions. The one specifically I have in mind is one of the owners of our Club which she suffers with psoriasis. Twice hit with shingles on her face and arms in one single year. We all love and feel for her certainly not look in disdain. I have had shingles and let me tell you it's unattractive and utterly painful.

This post was edited

Gunnison is a public clothing optional beach and I would estimate that it about 75% male.

This post was edited

As a social naturist I can say with confidence the vast majority of naturists, in Europe at least, do not judge people physically. In fact body acceptance is one of the greatest positives of naturism.Go to a naturist club, a beach etc. Meet real naturists and feel the joy of acceptance and the simple feeling of elemental liberation.

Accurate point most naturist don't judge. There are all kinds of bodies at my club and few people have time to judge we are busy enjoying each others company and sharing our lives and experiences.

This post was edited