Gallery/Media - Privacy Rules, working, not working?

How do the various privacy rules in uploaded media actually work? Or not, as the case might be.
I have my privacy settings configured to say that only friends can see my media, media cant be easily downloaded, my images cant be used in home page,and I cant be found by search engine crawlers.
I then upload media and when I go to check it always says media access is public and I then change it to certified friends only. Why is this necessary when I have set my default setting to be friends only?
Then I looked at the gallery this afternoon. When I clicked on a thumbnail it said certified friends only. I thought that was odd given the photo was on public show in the gallery, so clicked on some more at random. All reported certified friends only and all allowed me to open the pic.
Are the rules broken or is the gallery reporting the wrong status? I know there is no absolute guarantee of privacy when posting pictures on the internet. But it would be good if the published rules at least appeared to work as designed. Especially when there are rules enforced in showing faces etc.

This topic was edited
RE:Gallery/Media - Privacy Rules, working, not working?

How do the various privacy rules in uploaded media actually work? Or not, as the case might be.I have my privacy settings configured to say that only friends can see my media, media cant be easily downloaded, my images cant be used in home page,and I cant be found by search engine crawlers.I then upload media and when I go to check it always says media access is public and I then change it to certified friends only. Why is this necessary when I have set my default setting to be friends only?Then I looked at the gallery this afternoon. When I clicked on a thumbnail it said certified friends only. I thought that was odd given the photo was on public show in the gallery, so clicked on some more at random. All reported certified friends only and all allowed me to open the pic.Are the rules broken or is the gallery reporting the wrong status? I know there is no absolute guarantee of privacy when posting pictures on the internet. But it would be good if the published rules at least appeared to work as designed. Especially when there are rules enforced in showing faces etc.

I noticed the same with the gallery images, though the settings seem to work for profile media, at least as far as the "friends only" thing is concerned.

This post was edited

Don't get to hung up on the actual label outside of your individual profiles media gallery.

If you are a member of a group, you are "Certified" within that group.
If you are a member of TN, you are "Certified" as far as the main gallery is concerned.

Having said that, lets go back to your profiles media gallery. There are several layers of "security" implemented at different places. This is very hard to code for, and there have been issues in the past. A few years back, media label as "Certified Only" was in fact viewable by anyone. Never trust any sites alleged security settings. If you don't want/can't have it out in the wild, don't post it. Sometimes, media that is restricted when viewing the profiles media gallery is still viewable in the users feed.

One more thing to be aware of. If you have media set to some restricted access, you may still see in your feed that user"A" viewed it. I have tested this, and they did not in fact see the photo. They viewed one that was viewable to them, then hit the 'next' arrow to the restricted photo. They got a screen with a dummy placeholder and a java script window with something along the lines of "This file unavailable" (I don't have the exact verbiage at the moment, but have posted it in the past).

Also, you should be aware of a few more things:

1. Media deleted from TN (and I assume TS since they share a platform and coding) are not actually deleted from the media server. Only the link from the TN (TS) site to the media server is deleted. The media remains on the media server.

2. The media server has no security on it. If you know (or guess) the link to a media file on the media server, you can access it regardless of any security settings on TN (or TS). You don't even have to be logged in to either site. A brute force scan of the directory system will allow you to access all the files unhindered by any security.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

On the media being uploaded initially set to public, there was a great discussion in the forums some time back about that, and the general consensus (which I disagreed with) was that most would want it that way. I believe this is something that should be the most restrictive by default, and then users can change it to what ever they want.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

It seems the answer is, "If you don't want a full frontal of yourself to have potential of floating around the digital world, just don't post it to begin with."
Too bad that removes the possibility of joining a number of groups on this site.

This post was edited