New Airbnb policies

As an active member of Airbnb both as renting a room of my home to passing travelers and renting them when I travel I have met some wonderful people from all over the world.
I just got a notification from Airbnb that beginning Nov 20 all hosts must agree to wear a mask and maintain social distancing with all guest interactions. I am not discounting that COVID is real, but at what point should personal decisions be just that? if I am comfortable hosting someone and they are comfortable being hosted what business is it of theirs to say how to behave in my own home?
I am curious to see how this will be enforced and what backlash will come of it.
Thoughts?

This topic was edited
RE:New Airbnb policies

Putting on more restrictions on small business after the worst is over Death rate was on decline before masks where manditory Covid is number 24 down on the list of things that can kill you Medical professionals say masks are only needed by health care workers who know how to use them Time to let us live normal

This post was edited

Masks definitely have some stifling effect on the virus spread. There is no question it works to reduce transmission. I agree if someone is coming into your house, your house rules should be #1. I bet ABnB is just posting that due to pressure from some legal angle. I see all the stores and businesses all have signs that say no entry without a mask, but half the people don't have masks. There is no enforcement, no resources to enforce. But it isn't a bad idea. Its just respectful to wear one in indoor public places to protect vulnerable people.

This post was edited

You have to look at it from the corporate perspective. They have to protect themselves from a lawsuit. Sometimes this includes creating policies they know they can't truly enforce. So take this policy change as just that, words on paper. Unless the person you are hosting wants the adhere to the policy. However, you have the right to pick who you want to open your house to as well.

This post was edited

The fundamental principle of freedom is to be allowed to make choices for yourself. The issue with masks is whether you have the freedom to make choices that PRIMARILY affect others. The mask protects others more than it protects you. But I feel fine! No one can know whether they are infected or not. I had three Covid patients that I diagnosed in my office Wednesday. Only ONE had symptoms. All have infected other people unintentionally.

People who object to masks are saying that they value their own convenience over the health of the people around them. If thats how they feel, its ok with me, but I think that is a character question.

This post was edited

This is not true. All doctors agree that masks reduce the risk of catching and spreading the virus.

This post was edited

This is not true. All doctors agree that masks reduce the risk of catching and spreading the virus.

This post was edited

It protects them but it also means that hosts who dont follow the rules are liable.

This post was edited

It protects them but it also means that hosts who dont follow the rules are liable.

This post was edited

This post was edited

That is between the 2 of you when they arrive. If they dont care, then so be it. I am also on misterbnb, far more bookings, and FAR less uptight. Air is broken, big time.

This post was edited