Different Newbie Questions

I am thinking about becoming a nudist because of a couple of reasons. I do find while I am nude I feel more free and maybe it sounds silly but my stress level seems lower. I always sleep in the nude and of course shower but never any other time am I nude. I also have a pretty low confidence level and thought that this would help me to overcome the anxiety that I experience all the time. (If I can be naked in front of strangers then I can do anything kind of thing.) I have been trying to read up on the etiquette but I am finding a lot of contradicting statements.

1. Are nudists more accepting of different body types naturally?
2. What is the difference between a nudist and a naturist? (I've read but a simple answer would be nice!)
3. I have found that if you are a single male wanting to attend a nudist resort you seem to be a little discriminated against by the resort itself. Would people at the resort treat a single male differently or not be as welcoming to me?
4. There seems to be different "types" of nudists. "Regular" and more "sexual" nudists. Does this seem to hold true?
5. Without being weird about it, is it okay to look at someone's private areas even when they can see you are? I mean out of a curiosity standpoint because coming from the "regular clothed world" I would imagine my brain would take a second to catch up with what was happening and I would naturally be curious.
6. What are the guidelines on touching (like hi fives, knuckles, shoulder pats or a hug) while nude?
7. While this is not something I want to worry about...with my low confidence level I fear it would make for a terrible experience if it happens but... is there like a "secret" or "unwritten" thing among nudist men or women about male genitalia image or size?
8. The age old question... erections don't seem to be welcomed but trying to transfer my mind from one of a sexual culture to more of a nudist thinking one I fear that biology will take hold and embarrass me. What is the proper thing to do in that circumstance? Say sorry? Leave?
9. I am naturally a quieter person and I fear that being naked around strangers would only make that worse. Are people more helpful towards newcomers because they might be aware of the worries that come with?

This topic was edited
RE:Different Newbie Questions

I believe what Codebare wrote was very accurate and I will second his advice. For your #9...the two resort/retreat to which I belong have an unofficial greeter(s). If these folks see you...theyll stop, introduce themselves and say hello. I will do the same. If you visit a resort...do a little homework on it before you visit and get a good orientation. My wife and I took an orientation visit to a resort on a weekend afternoon...felt good about the place and booked a cabin for the next. It really helped us. Good luck & hang in there.

This post was edited

#5: Always come back to the face. When someone's clothed, you will notice what they're wearing. You'll read their t-shirt. But you won't linger.

#8; Certainly don't be embarrassed or leave,. Don't apologize or comment. Make whatever gesture is appropriate and practical to show that you're not trying to be sexual about it - you need not break off a conversation or flee the room, but consider pulling up a towel, rolling over, getting in the water, sitting down. Smile, talk, look at faces, and it will pass quickly anyway.

#9: I'm a naturally quiet person, too, and I find socializing nude is easier. You get over being physically shy very quickly, and then there's a certain level of commonality and trust that makes conversation more likely. Don't start out trying to converse with someone you find sexually attractive.

This post was edited

You guys are the best! This really puts to bed some of the uncertainties that I have had. I don't want to be the guy who does everything wrong. I want to fit in and really understand the nudism thing (for lack of better words I am still unsure on the correct way to refer to "it"). Thank you everyone!!!

This post was edited

Here are my answers to Jmiller26b's questions. Please note that I speak only for myself, and from my own experience. Your mileage will probably vary. Everybody's mileage varies.

1. Are nudists more accepting of different body types naturally? Yes.

2. What is the difference between a nudist and a naturist? Simply put, a nudist is a person who likes being nude, whether indoors or outdoors. A naturist wants to establish a link between their nudity and the natural world outside, preferably a park, woods, beach, whatever.

3. Would people at the resort treat a single male differently or not be as welcoming to me? Depends on the resort or club. Ask beforehand.

4. There seems to be different "types" of nudists. "Regular" and more "sexual" nudists. Does this seem to hold true? Only to the extent that some swingers like to do it an a nudist environment. In "regular" nudism, there is no sexual component beyond what you'd find in any textile environment.

5. Without being weird about it, is it okay to look at someone's private areas even when they can see you are? Sure, if by "looking" you mean just a glance. In a textile environment, you might look at what another person is wearing, right? But once you do that, you don't usually stare (unless the person is wearing clown shoes or Elvis jackets). Just treat their "private areas" the same way that you'd look at their hands or faces or shoes.

6. What are the guidelines on touching (like hi fives, knuckles, shoulder pats or a hug) while nude? Generally the same as you'd have in textile environments. I've found that nudists are slightly more prone to being "huggy" around people they know, but that's the only difference I can see. I don't know why; maybe it's the fact that since they've already seen each other naked lots of times, that little extra bit of intimacy isn't anything to worry about. Nowadays with the pandemic, touching is greatly curtailed, or course. We'll have to see if anything changes once things go back to "normal."

7. is there like a "secret" or "unwritten" thing among nudist men or women about male genitalia image or size? Not that I know of. We know that people are going to be different in their penis size (or, for the ladies, breast size). These are natural variations in the shape of the human body, and are accepted as such. As for image, we carry around what we've absorbed from daily life. But the more into the nudist/naturist culture you go, the less significance that has.

8. I fear that biology will take hold and embarrass me. What is the proper thing to do in that circumstance? Say sorry? Leave? If that happens, you can usually just cover it up, Apologies will usually be graciously accepted. As long as you're not making a big thing of it (pun intended), most nudists will understand and pay it no mind.

9. Are people more helpful towards newcomers because they might be aware of the worries that come with? Again, it depends on the venue. But most veteran nudists expect a certain amount of shyness from newcomers, and usually go out of their way to help you over it. Most of them have been down that same road themselves, unless they were fortunate enough to be raised in a nudist environment from childhood.

This post was edited

Awesome! Great stuff guys! Thank you so much!

This post was edited

Lots of good sound answers above. I don't think I could say it better, so will just add weight to what others have already said. It's good advice. And welcome to the forum!

This post was edited