What is it with great paint and body guys?

No I don't want the old Earl Shieb 39.95 or the Macco 300.00 job I wont spare the dollar on this. Having the storage bldg it's housed in ceiling falling on top the Duster hood it seems to be like magic to get the top shops locally to get it repaired. Its been months even getting Luanns trucks attended to. Its not like they are picassos or something they are just excellent at there craft. I don't get it?

I told my son who I usually let lead the way of decisions I'm going all Dad out now. He knows what that means and he went radio silent. I don't get paint and body guys.

This topic was edited
RE:What is it with great paint and body guys?

No I don't want the old Earl Shieb 39.95 or the Macco 300.00 job I wont spare the dollar on this. Having the storage bldg it's housed in ceiling falling on top the Duster hood it seems to be like magic to get the top shops locally to get it repaired. Its been months even getting Luanns trucks attended to. Its not like they are picassos or something they are just excellent at there craft. I don't get it?I told my son who I usually let lead the way of decisions I'm going all Dad out now. He knows what that means and he went radio silent. I don't get paint and body guys.

Man, I threw $450 away on a Macco paint job. It certainly wasn't my choice but the decision was made before I could get involved. Ex son in law decided to have the car painted. I had just become 1/2 owner. No consultation, he just had it towed over to Macco and paid extra for what, I don't know. I fronted the $450 because he had no money. I was suppose to get 1/2 back but never did. The car was a chalky yellow when it went in. It was black with chalky yellow door jams, undersides of the hood and truck lid and dozens of places around the grill, behind bumpers, around headlights and tail lights. I guess I should me glad the Macco guys taped over the chrome and windows before the painted the car. What a joke that place is.

This post was edited

It's one of several reasons I let go of my Chevelle. I had no one, with any interest, to hand it down to. It was costing us money, that we could have used for more fun things, to keep in running. When I sold it, it again, needed extensive mechanical work and lots of cosmetic body work. The guy that bought it got a real deal but as he delves into that car, he'll see that he most likely paid way too much for it. Unless it's a car he really loves, by the time he gets it anywhere near road and car show ready, he'll have paid and put twice as much money into it than it's worth.

Hope you're able to get your car fixed but I truly get your feeling of throwing your hands up in the air and saying, I'm done! ;D

This post was edited

I'm a former body man painter and it's what you pay for I seen paint jobs go for a $5,000 to 50,000 just for a paint job. The issue is the labor that's what cost so much you know you one or two guys on it and they're getting $75 an hour and it's just you know you hand sand the car three or four times and materials are getting up there in price too unfortunately when I started I could get materials for a car that cost around $200 and now materials are up around $2500 to $5000

This post was edited

I'm a former body man painter and it's what you pay for I seen paint jobs go for a $5,000 to 50,000 just for a paint job. The issue is the labor that's what cost so much you know you one or two guys on it and they're getting $75 an hour and it's just you know you hand sand the car three or four times and materials are getting up there in price too unfortunately when I started I could get materials for a car that cost around $200 and now materials are up around $2500 to $5000

One of the things I've always taken issue with is the "book time" to fix something, repair something, replace something... mostly pertains to dealership service departments. I've witnessed, first hand, more than several times, where a job is billed for xx number of hours to do this repair/replace and it's done in less than 1/2 that time but because the book says, "this job takes xx number of hours," you're billed for that.

I visited a independent repair shop with my Chevelle. Finding a good, honest guy is difficult but I liked that he didn't nickel, dime me. He charged me for the time he spent on the car. Of course, like most good things, it ended when he sold the business and moved outta state.

I think, for me anyway, I get caught up in what things used to cost and I remember the $29.95 Earl paint ads. Granted, they weren't that great but back then and even when I was going to get my van painted back in '75-'76, I seem to revert back to those price quotes and am floored at how much things have gone up. Not being in the business, I don't doubt for a minute the price increases in parts and labor. My retirement benefit just couldn't keep up! hahahahahahaha

This post was edited

I absolutely get materials and labor is very high these days leaving the Earl Schieb and Maccos in the dust for quality. I respect craftsmanship and will pay for it. It's just getting someone good at a craft to sign on and do the project. My cousin has a custom built Mach 1 and on the back he has painted its now given name... Week 2. He was told for 2 years it would be out of body and paint booth in 2 weeks for all that time. No expenses were spared. Dang it looks really good but you get my point.

This post was edited

It's one of several reasons I let go of my Chevelle. I had no one, with any interest, to hand it down to. It was costing us money, that we could have used for more fun things, to keep in running. When I sold it, it again, needed extensive mechanical work and lots of cosmetic body work. The guy that bought it got a real deal but as he delves into that car, he'll see that he most likely paid way too much for it. Unless it's a car he really loves, by the time he gets it anywhere near road and car show ready, he'll have paid and put twice as much money into it than it's worth.Hope you're able to get your car fixed but I truly get your feeling of throwing your hands up in the air and saying, I'm done! ;D

That almost pains me you let that Chevelle loose out of your hands but I do understand it happens to a lot of us. Andy I lost a Cuda after a divorce. . I tear up to this day. I think I would have been interested in your Chevelle. Perhaps because I lost 2 Chevelles over my young idiocy and this one I think would mean a lot to me to finally I would have one, you being a friend and not to mention your a Firefighter. Even across the country oddly enuff a customer that lives next door transports cars drives for Reliable to Cali and nationwide annually. I'd given you $1.29 less just for my self entertainment !

This post was edited

Had I known... we could have talked turkey! This seems to happen to me more times than not. I sell something and someone I'd prefer selling to states, after the fact, that they would have been interested. I'd gladly give a good friend a discount! Just last month, I had 5 mud and snow terrain tires off my jeep that I was selling on FB Market Place. This guy responded to the ad and we came to a price. We were out of town and I had my son in law put the tires out on the front patio, kinda outta sight.

This guy was messaging me on FB. So I'm naked for a few days straight, I'm not attached to my phone. I miss his messages and he acts like a 10 y.o. little girl drama queen about not answering his FB messages. I should have just told him the deal was off but he came back a few days later, after we'd gotten home and paid for and took the tires. 4 days later, our lawn maintenance guy asks about the tires. He said he would be interested in buying them if they were still for sale. HELL... I would have given them to my lawn guy!!!

I miss the Chevelle, at times, but don't miss the headaches and stress. I stressed each time I backed it outta the garage and drove it anywhere. There was always a list of repairs to do by the time I drove it back into the garage! hahahahahaha

This post was edited

I'm a former body man painter and it's what you pay for I seen paint jobs go for a $5,000 to 50,000 just for a paint job. The issue is the labor that's what cost so much you know you one or two guys on it and they're getting $75 an hour and it's just you know you hand sand the car three or four times and materials are getting up there in price too unfortunately when I started I could get materials for a car that cost around $200 and now materials are up around $2500 to $5000[/quote

When you said 50K for a paint job I did not doubt you. Many years ago I spoke on the phone with a very notable acclaimed and published restorer. I fell down out of my chair when he was calling a rare Superbird a piece of $hit that he about had finished competed.

I asked why???! His answer was I had to cut 75% of the rust bucket away, repair before paint. He called it not real in his opinion since most of it is brand new. If I printed his name many would recognize it but obviously I can not. I say the car owner still has a 1/4 million dollar Hemi show piece.

This post was edited

Who knows how this car project of ours is going to end up this show season. The son is flying in for his fav car show and cruise night. After him pressing the body guy for a period of time he asked dad will you call him. We also wanted some engine modifications and that was stalled as well. I made the calls and at least got on the calendar in the 12th hour. I know it pales to what other folks who face serious issues. It's just a car thing after all and if it comes together then it does and if not then so be it .

This post was edited

That's one thing I will miss about not having the Chevelle... the car shows, especially the car show at our club! Di loved them too and though she'd wear some cover up at the club's car show, it was still a lot of fun being nude at that show in particular. Besides, I won a Best In Class plaque for that Chevelle the last year our club had a car show.

Hope it all works out for you and your son Rock. I can't remember if you told me/the group; does your club have a car show where you can be nude?

This post was edited