RE:What is it with great paint and body guys?

It is a great feeling of accomplishment to watch your advice, counsel and teachings come to fruition. I've always felt that passing on one's knowledge and experiences to others was more a duty for those under and along side of you. I've worked with supervisors, at work, that didn't want to share their knowledge for fear that their guys would then know what they know and that threatened them. I, on the other hand, felt that advising and teaching them what I know, made my life easier and more enjoyable for me at work. It also made them better supervisors (Captains/Chiefs) when they went up the ladder. They hit the ground running when they were promoted into those positions.

As you have passed down advise, counsel and knowledge to your son about cars and dealing with service providers, I have imparted my knowledge and experience in off roading to my sons in law and eldest grandson. I hope to be able to do the same with the youngest grandson when he starts driving. My plan has already had it's benefits. I do a bit more riding and drinking than I do driving and that's okay with me. Not that I don't like driving off road but I want my guys confident in what we do, when I'm gone.

I have a much smaller body and paint project coming up. We bought Di that little Jeep and one fender is bent from the previous owner trying to push another friend's car (young girls). I got an estimate to take the fender off, repair it, paint it and put it back one or to buy a new one, have them paint it and I'll put it on. I decided on the latter and not only will I learn something, with YouTubes help, but I'll also experience some accomplishment of repairing the car... AND... I'll be able to work on it while naked! ;DDD

This post was edited

My next bit of advice to you Andy if its going to a top paint guy is to start 6 months early :D

This post was edited

We just had Di's little Jeep checked out at the mechanic. Buying it used and from our son in law's friend, we decided to give it the once over.
There's a body shop next door. He actually came over to us as we were getting in the car and said... "I can fix that fender for you if you want. But, it's better if you just buy a new fender and paint it." I told him my plan. He said, "bring it to me, I'll paint it to match your car and have it done in a week!" I asked if I could hold him to a week and he said, "YUP! Guaranteed!" ;DDD I've heard that before! LOL

My mechanic stated that the work to do on our car would take a few hours and we'd have it back by noon that day. It was finally ready by noon the following day! ;D He recommended the guy next door and said, "he's good and he's punctual, like me!" ;DDD At least he's got a great sense of humor.

This post was edited

I could be wrong (probably) my take was Jeeps as I do love them are like Tonka Toys. Parts of every type are readily available to order and it's almost plug and play putting them on. I've wanted one forever for what they are and looking at the parts and assy catalogs. My close cousin just sold his without telling me before hand and now we will be talking next time we meet up.

This post was edited