Representation of nudity in popular TV and film

We are rewatching Friends lately which has a couple of non-sexual nudity moments played for comedy. Ugly Naked Guy who lives across the street from Monica is referenced in a few episodes and Ross befriends him and hangs out naked with him to get the apartment lease when Ugly Naked Guy moves out. In a later episode, Rachel is in the apartment alone and drops her robe to sing and dance naked which entices Ross, who can see her from his new apartment across the street to come over, thinking she was dancing naked to invite him over for sex.

We also recently rewatched Seinfeld which had Jerry fall asleep in a subway train and wake up across from a naked subway rider that everyone else had distanced themselves from. At the end of the episode Jerry and the naked guy had talked and were getting a meal together if I remember correctly. In another episode Jerry had a girlfriend who stayed naked in the apartment after sex which Jerry found very odd and frustrating. He later sands the floor down nude to show her Bad Naked vs Good Naked.

Other more recent shows that come to mind are Parks and Rec where Andy gets naked a few times while bathing outside, chasing someone down the street who stole his boom box, jumping in a pond on Ted Day, and at Bens Celebration Gala in the final season.

I think while these were for comedic effect they did somewhat help normalize nudity. Well, maybe not the Seinfeld ones

West World on HBO has some sex but also just a lot of nude hosts or androids in diagnostics and cold storage throughout the show.

Anyway, what references to non-sexual nudity have you seen in TV or film and do you think it helped or worsened the normalization of nudity?

This topic was edited
RE:Representation of nudity in popular TV and film

Shameless is full of nudity, almost all of it associated with sex. However, in one episode one of the male actors is depicted completely nude including frontal video who was naked because he needed to have his skin breathe while he was in the house. I believe he was cooking at the time. In another episode one of the main characters left the hospital without being discharged and wearing the standard gown that was not tied as he walked down the street.

This post was edited

I believe that shows or sitcoms depicting nudity and sex seem to have a higher viewer rating. More and more shows are using it and mostly in a positive form. Seems like people who would scorn you about your nudity or mention of nudity are probably the biggest viewers of those shows. Myself I have a sense of humor about it if a show makes fun of the lifestyle, it's OK to have some creative fun. My issue is the media. The way they demean us the nudist. A good example was was a couple years back on Good Morning America when they did a news spot about National Nude Garden Day I believe it was when all the news hosts scorned and ridiculed the nudist ways. That to me makes the negative impact

This post was edited

Yes, whenever a news story hits the papers or the air, it is more often an object of jokes with the writers and newscasters emphasizing that they would never do something like that. Not that the movies or TV show real life, but after having sex do real life guys get out of bed wearing boxers? Either show a bare butt, breast, or two, or keep the characters in bed. Do most people when getting out of the shower wrap themselves in a towel? I don't, but much that we read here seems to suggest that they do. But, the opening scene of the series This is Us has Jack walking away from the camera without the towel.

This post was edited

I am adding a very recent show to this. My wife and I watched The Sex Lives of College Girls on HBO Max last night. The second episode is called Naked Party and has two of the main characters stripping down and spending time at a college house naked party.

It got me thinking about other posts on here that resort nudism is for the older people and 20-30 years olds still get naked but at public beaches or at each others houses and dont do the resort thing as much.

This post was edited

Sliders. From the 90s With Jerry McConnal had a tease at the end of one episode that the next world the group slid into was a nudist world. I was bummed when it was not the actual next episode

This post was edited

Last Sunday afternoon there was a documentary about Christmas in Germany from the 50s to today on German television. On the theme of gifts for Christmas and when to buy them it was shown a report from the former East German TV where a reporter asked people at a nudist beach if they had already bought christmas presents. There you could see nudists at any age without any bars or pixelation.

This post was edited

which channel was it broadcasted?

This post was edited

which channel was it broadcasted?
SWR 15:00 Weihnachtsland

This post was edited

Last Sunday afternoon there was a documentary about Christmas in Germany from the 50s to today on German television. ...where a reporter asked people at a nudist beach if they had already bought christmas presents. There you could see nudists at any age without any bars or pixelation.

The same documentary today on RBB 20:15 (8:15 pm)

This post was edited

There are actors who push for the normalization of the nude male body:

Jeff Bridges
Viggo Mortensen
Ewan McGregor

Are three actors who work towards that end.

There are many others.

Additionally, there are some good books that make it clear that nudity really should be socially acceptable in everyday life. Further, these books make it clear that if someone has a problem with nudity, that the actual problem is in that person's mind:

Uncovering the Image
Christian Body
Famous Fig Leaf

That there is nothing obscene, inappropriate, indecent, dirty, or disgusting about the human body.

If someone is aware of other such books, please post information about them.

This post was edited