Does Everyone Need Sunblock?

Good day fellow peeps!

Alright, I ask this question because given my dark skin tone, I have never gotten a sunburn in my life. Ever. And it's not due to not being exposed to the sun for a long amount of time. I reside in Nevada, which gets up to around 110 or so during the summer. One time, I went swimming with my cousins in my backyard for like 3 or 4 hours and when we emerged I simply laughed at her peeling skin. "Sucks for you," was my general thought.

Now, I am concerned because I'm exposing new body parts to the sun now. The same parts my father used to say "where the sun don't shine." And obviously, I don't want to sunburn in the sensitive regions, but as I stated before, it has never been a problem with my skin in the past. Heck, if anything, my gentalia is even darker then the rest of my body, which in turns give me even more UV protection. So yeah, if you have any advice for me, I'll be happy to hear it

This topic was edited
RE: Does Everyone Need Sunblock?

Sorry to tell you but you too can burn. I've had girlfriends who when they burnt I couldn't tell but they were uncomfortable and that makes sitting around after a day in the sun a bit of a bummer!
Use sun protection untill your skin has acclimatised.

This post was edited

Thanks Doc Rock

This post was edited

Definitely. Good to have a doctor ring in on this topic too. I try to remember to put sunscreen on my face, ears daily. I do put it on definitely if I'm going to be outdoors for any length of time and definitely if I'm going on the river/lake or floating in a pool. I do wear a hat when outdoors.

My husband has had a few cancers removed: one from his nose and one from an ear. I do remind him if he's going to be going out.

This post was edited

I think your body get's used to different types of sun etc. I was on the beach in the UK with a nude model who lives in Nevada. She is used to very hot sunshine but still managed to get a little burnt on the beach in England - never burnt working nude in the Nevada desert!!

This post was edited

I have no medical training, but I would advise EVERYONE to use sun-protection. When I went to Barbados for the first time there was a young lady of mixed race in our group; because of her colouring she guessed that she would not need cream/lotion. She just lay there frying, and soon found out - you've guessed it that Black people can get sunburnt just the same as Whites.

One of the ladies that I worked with used to go back "home" to Jamaica for 2 months at a time. She reckoned that her skin colouring changed in that time, may be not alot but there was a difference. Surely it is better to be safe than sorry!!

This post was edited

Personally, I would agree to use sunblock whenever your exposure to the sun changes. For example, where I live, in Dallas, my skin becomes acclimated to the sun's intensity and UV A and B rays so that by early to mid-summer, I no longer use sun-block. However, when I visit Florida whether in my friends' backyard or Haulover, I use sunscreen. The sun's rays and intensity ARE different. Likewise, when I first started as a nudist, I quickly and rather uncomfortably discovered that those bits where 'the sun don't shine' were very, very sensitive to the new sun exposure. More so than my arms, legs and chest which had been exposed previously.
I think everyone's skin type is different. And because this is not an exact science, I would say start out with sunscreen. You'll rather quickly discover whether you need less or more, but at least start with some. The doctor's observations were very good, but everyone is different, regardless of skin pigmentation. In fact, I've always understood that dark skinned (read african american, negro, whatever is appropriate) skin tones burn too. The other factor to consider, if you're dark complected will you notice a melanoma the same as a caucasian? Depending on the color of brown, you may not, which could lead to a more serious cancer.
I'd say take the safe route until you know for sure. If you are a dark complected person, be especially careful because the early warning signs my not be so apparent. Secondly, those areas that have never seen the sun, be very diligent with those. I'm speaking from experience, as a white guy granted, but it ain't fun.

This post was edited