If all beaches were clothing optional...

So here's a question that keeps going through my mind:

If all beaches were declared clothing optional then would we see:

The majority of people at a beach swimming nude?
An uptick all nudism activity?
Swim wear manufacturers going broke?

Before you jump in a say yes, yes and yes - think about this for a while and think around the 'textile' folks you know.

Tell me your thoughts.

This topic was edited
RE:If all beaches were clothing optional...

I would suspect that while a few more people would be nude, it would not be a major uptick. In places in the US where women are allowed to be topless, very few are, and I think the same thing would happen if nudity were allowed.
There would also probably be a large number of people who would refuse to go to the beach because they don't want to see others nude.
Having more clothing optional beaches is a good idea, but all probably is not.

This post was edited

we would but the U.S. not ready for that yet think there would be a huge protest from textiles! some people just can't do it

This post was edited

All Spanish beaches are CO.

Ive observed that the people using the beach automatically segregate themselves, naturists move away from the far more populist textile gatherings. One benefit of this is that textiles tend to stay very close to the hotel or resort giving the naturist much more of the beach to explore naked.

This post was edited

If all beaches were declared clothing optional then would we see:The majority of people at a beach swimming nude?An uptick all nudism

Didnt think so IMO it will take something more substantial than just getting naked to get the majority to chose going clothes free

This post was edited

There would be an uptick in nude beachgoing but laws only curtail nude activities by that minority of the population that already is so inclined. The prevalence of public nudity is a function of cultural norms, and nudists comprise a minority subculture. However, if nudists were broadly seen to be morally well adjusted and not socially threatening, then perhaps over time the broader population's comfort with public nudity would increase and more people would indulge. But a majority? Not within the lifetime of you or me. Broad cultural changes generally take generations.

BTW StevieLorna's observation re: Spanish beaches is spot on.

This post was edited

StevieLorna wrote:
Ive observed that the people using the beach automatically segregate themselves, naturists move away from the far more populist textile gatherings. One benefit of this is that textiles tend to stay very close to the hotel or resort giving the naturist much more of the beach to explore naked.

I think that would be the case here as well. In fact, that's pretty much the way it is at the clothing-optional beaches we have here.

I think that it would make no difference at first in the number of people forsaking their swimwear. But gradually, if the nudists behaved themselves, there would be more of a drift toward swimming nude. It would take a lot of time, perhaps generations.

This post was edited

I so have to get to Spain! This is the outcome we would all very like here in Australia.

God bless you folks as you have done the most logical thing and the empirical evidence speaks for itself. Its what I suspect would happen; the clothed would gather in one section and the nude in another, and each group would 'keep to themselves'.

But tell me how long ago did your beaches become CO?

What is the % balance of clothed to nude?

How long did it take for nude bathing to increase after the decision was made for CO on all beaches?

This post was edited

I've always wondered about the logic or psychology in jurisdictions that opt for allowing women to go topless at the beach.

Do they do this because they are

a) liberating women ('freeing the nipple')
b) circumventing any wrath from a public breast feeding situation; or
c) feel its a 'half way house' to accepting nude bathing, and feel that it will satisfy some of those who want nude bathing.

I've always suspected its a combination of all three and the inter-departmental committee with broad terms of reference that come up with it feel its a win-win for everybody when in fact they know very few women will opt for it.

This post was edited

I tend to agree with your thoughts - especially in the USA I believe this would be the outcome.

Here in Australia though I think it would be closer to the Spanish outcome. We have a couple of beaches in NSW where the CO area is literally a section of the beach not the whole beach. My observation from having been in the CO area of these beaches is that very few 'textiles' wander over...and if they do its usually for a perv or curiosity (and if its the latter then I assume they are just looking for the courage to join in!)

This post was edited

I so have to get to Spain! This is the outcome we would all very like here in Australia.God bless you folks as you have done the most logical thing and the empirical evidence speaks for itself. Its what I suspect would happen; the clothed would gather in one section and the nude in another, and each group would 'keep to themselves'.But tell me how long ago did your beaches become CO?What is the % balance of clothed to nude?How long did it take for nude bathing to increase after the decision was made for CO on all beaches?
We have relatives in Australia and based on conversations and visits, I believe that while nudity is not as acceptable as it is in countries like Spain it us far more tolerated than in the US, except in Queensland.

This post was edited