The popular unofficial nude beach - how do you handle it?

Alexandria Bay in Queensland is reasonably well known in a state where, despite the climate, there's no official nude beaches and a bit of a tradition of policing that.

The beach is a nice length between two headlands and it's location in a small national park adjacent to a popular tourist destination means many walkers visit. Others come to enjoy sunbathing or a splash (beware the surf at this unpatrolled spot!) or perhaps to get out on a surfboard. Some textile types just enjoy the remoteness without wishing to wear less than a bikini or boardies.

Those that choose to go nude vary. Some appear to be bucket-listers who come, strip off have a splash, and leave. Some lay out nude in the open, some in the dunes. Some, like me, like to walk the shoreline of a beach as well as lay out and swim.

Presumably the walkers and other textiles go there knowing what to expect of others and are cool with it or even anticipating a bit of nudie spotting. They've likely seen various nudity on film & TV. But perhaps they are not interested in seeing anyone in the all-together and just want to enjoy a spectacular spot.

When visiting, I like to boost my tan a little, splash a little and walk a little. In doing so, I lay out away from the shoreline or in the dunes where I feel I'm not impacting them too much (and certainly on the correct side of the regeneration fence). When approaching the water I try to time my walk to miss the textile folk, often waiting untill they've just passed. When in the water I try to keep waist deep - not always possible at A-Bay with the waves rolling in. When leaving the water I again time to avoid textiles but also look to see if there's a gap developing that allows me to walk a little before returning to camp.

If things are looking too textily, I'll likely keep my swimsuit on. At least my suit is likely to be on the small side.

Am I being too cautious? How do you approach similar situations?

This topic was edited
No replies yet.