A naive question about chat

All I know about chat is what I read in the forums, which of course is pretty dire. But the other day I noticed a TN friend was online and in chat, so I logged in and - sitting at my desk visible from the chest up - turned on my camera. I bumbled around trying to message my friend - he'd probably left by the time I figured that out. And then stayed to watch a trickle of pleasantries scroll by, with an occasional picture getting hearts stuck on it, and one person muted for saying a photo was sexy instead of just applying a heart. Sorted users by camera, to see that fewer than a dozen were on cam, but that there were over a hundred people in there, doing - near as I can tell - nothing. I did notice I had six people viewing my entirely uninteresting cam, none of whom made any contact. Later, I saw that I'd gotten a number of profile views during the chat session.

So my question: What are all those people doing? Why is chat even a thing?

This topic was edited
RE:A naive question about chat

I assume they're doing direct messages in chat that you aren't seeing. It's hard to have a conversation in the main room.

This post was edited

I assume they're doing direct messages in chat that you aren't seeing. It's hard to have a conversation in the main room.

This has been beaten to death ad nauseam. If you say anything that someone does not like (clique) then you will be attacked. If you object or fight back you will be banned. To be safe, say nothing in main chat. Say everything in PM mode. Better yet, stay out of chat room entirely. Otherwise, accept the consequences.

This post was edited

When we first joined we used the chat room briefly. Thinking naively that it was for naturists. We dropped that delusion almost immediately.

People assume a DM or direct message is completely private, but thats not strictly true. Admin will be able to monitor them if they suspect or are informed about any misuse.

This post was edited

Indeed the questions of bad behavior / bad mods have been beaten to death, and I didn't mean to revisit that in this thread, but rather the exact opposite. How do the users who value it, use it?

I'm not real fluent in real-time keyboarding, but on other sites i have managed to make a couple of real, flesh-and-blood friends in chats, and have actual conversations. I'm just trying to figure the TM chat thing out without being a perpetual lurker. Do you just kind of wait for an actual conversation to erupt in the main room, as one poster has suggested? Do you browse profiles and request PM's with people you might want to talk to? (Forum posts on the subject seem to call that bad behavior, mostly with regard to PM'ing women.) From what I read here and see, you can go into the main room and simply request a PM, which seems kind of forlorn, but if you SAY anything about yourself (especially if you're gay) that's bad behavior. What's up with the people who put up pictures of themselves, but don't say anything? Does that start conversations?

This post was edited

I haven't used the chat in a while, but I'd normally just say something like "good afternoon" and if someone responded to that, I'd chat with them a bit (usually through PM's)

Or, on the flip side, I'd respond to someone's "good afternoon"

This post was edited

Do microphones work in chat?

This post was edited

Do microphones work in chat?

Yes, but that would mean a lot of sad old men would have to try and mimic a young female voice.

This post was edited

......... What's up with the people who put up pictures of themselves, but don't say anything? Does that start conversations?

They will not say anything either because they have nothing to say or they do not want to give any excuse to get banned.

This post was edited
banned with no reason.

We have been banned from PM but they never say why.. We do not cam, nothing out of line in main chat, never posted pics. But they cant be bothered to say why they ban. So can only be something said in Private.. So private is NOT PRIVATE.

This post was edited

You got an Eye of an eagle. I too noticed it and wonered why a chat and realised its more to just view the cam.

This post was edited