How do you keep up with all those friends?

I was reviewing the membership roll of one of the groups I moderate, looking to delete non-participative members. I looked at recent posts, responses, groups joined & number of friends. My thought was that having a reasonable number of groups & friends would allow someone to enjoy the posts and comradery of fellow TN members without being buried. Makes sense to me as I enjoy sending periodic *whats up* notes to my friends. But then I came across someone with 350 pages of friends and so many groups I stopped counting. How does this work?? Can you actually follow the happenings of the horde or is it just hitting the *Friend request* button? More power to you if you can keep up but I*d be overwhelmed. I*m going to keep my list short and posts frequent. Any thoughts out there?

This topic was edited
RE:How do you keep up with all those friends?

I set criteria for accepting friends (certified with profile filled in and pictures) and regularly delete people who are no longer active. I do that by viewing friends by login, but it's cumbersome since it resets after I delete only one. In addition, I know of no way to locate a previous message from a person's profile. The site moderators don't delete any groups or profiles which have been inactive for years since it bulks up the numbers. The infrastructure of the site makes it difficult to keep in touch with people, so the best is to migrate to other media asap once you've made a good connection.

This post was edited

Some people seem to regard number of friends, number of groups joined, number of posts/comments as the measure of success on social media. I see the same on FB where I am the moderator of a couple of groups. Someone applies to join the group and the link says they are a member of 100s or even a 1000 plus groups.
I only accept people as friends if we have been in contact before they send the request. And occasionally go through my friends list removing any I no longer recognise as we havent been in contact.
Have never understood quantity over quality.

This post was edited

I feel the same way about friends and groups, but admittedly aim for a high post count n

This post was edited

Keep my friends list nice and trimmed. The reasons for me accepting them is laid out in my profile write-up. I keep in touch they keep in touch. Those who do not get the axe as I perform a "Purge" every six months . . .

This post was edited

I was reviewing the membership roll of one of the groups I moderate, looking to delete non-participative members. I looked at recent posts, responses, groups joined & number of friends. My thought was that having a reasonable number of groups & friends would allow someone to enjoy the posts and comradery of fellow TN members without being buried. Makes sense to me as I enjoy sending periodic *whats up* notes to my friends. But then I came across someone with 350 pages of friends and so many groups I stopped counting. How does this work?? Can you actually follow the happenings of the horde or is it just hitting the *Friend request* button? More power to you if you can keep up but I*d be overwhelmed. I*m going to keep my list short and posts frequent. Any thoughts out there?

I keep my friends list to a reasonable amount. I think my friends list is around 150. I'd say that 1/3rd of those friends stay in contact fairly frequently. Another 1/3rd keep in contact via posts in the multiple groups we are members of. The last 1/3rd are friends that pop onto the site on rare occasion and they'll send a note or respond to a post I've made. That's tough enough for us to juggle. Not sure how others do 100's and 100's of so-called friends. I suspect, like those wanting to join my groups and never participating in any discussions, they are trying to gain access to pictures. Those people I can usually tell by screening them before accepting them into my groups or onto my friends list.

This post was edited