Disabled Nudist But Not Unable.

A few years ago on TN an individual was hosting weekend hikes in the Central Arizona region. I applied to his group and was refused because he "thought that I could not handle the hikes". Well, if anyone looks at my profile, they will see that over the years I have done a lot of wilderness tent camping. Yes, most of my photos are of me at the campsite. So now I have added more photos with me in my wheelchair exploring the forest of Northern Arizona Rim Country. I would like to hear from other TN members that due to age, illness or injury might be impaired but not stopped from enjoying the world around us.

This topic was edited
RE:Disabled Nudist But Not Unable.

I too enjoy the outdoors and admire that you don't let any disability slow you down! It's important for me to include disabled friends on hikes but unfortunately I haven't found any accessability ratings for trails. Therefore I take mental notes regarding the trail surface, inclines and upkeep. I'm fortunate to have a well-suited paved trail only 15 minutes from my home but I have to plan for times when it's less busy since cyclists are often going at 25 miles an hour which is dangerous if the opposite lane isn't open. Good luck finding the right people and trails that suit you well!

This post was edited

A few years ago on TN an individual was hosting weekend hikes in the Central Arizona region. I applied to his group and was refused because he "thought that I could not handle the hikes". Well, if anyone looks at my profile, they will see that over the years I have done a lot of wilderness tent camping. Yes, most of my photos are of me at the campsite. So now I have added more photos with me in my wheelchair exploring the forest of Northern Arizona Rim Country. I would like to hear from other TN members that due to age, illness or injury might be impaired but not stopped from enjoying the world around us.

My biggest problem being disabled is that Im not allowed to drive. So If I cant walk their I'm out of luck. Glad you get to enjoy our high country!

This post was edited

Hello!
I am also a disabled nudist but not unable-
I was diagnosed with MS in 08
I still am able to work full-time, live independently AND be a nudist.
I am still able to attend both indoor and outdoor nudist activities while using canes, a walker or a wheelchair so I can still interact with people.
Ive been able to enjoy the events because I could do a lot on my own but also allow others to help me (and us) have fun together-

This post was edited

I am also disabled and living in a very hilly and mostly inaccessible places for disabled people with mobility issues . If my travelator or mobility scooter cannot access it then I cant access it either as I dont drive so fairly limited to where I can go .

This post was edited

don't let being disabled stop ya ! lot of times at resorts I mention the areas they can improve on, and next time we come they do

This post was edited

Definitely not cool that you were excluded from the group without a chance to prove yourself, however there is a massive difference in difficulty with trails in northern Arizona vs central Arizona. Hikes on the rim have usually been flat from what I've seen and level terrain with great weather. Hikes like in the superstitions in Central AZ can be constant climbs with unequal terrain or footing, or downright back-breakingly scorching. There are some flatter ones, sure, but those aren't as interesting. Not saying you couldn't handle it, nor should anyone assume it, but there is quite a difference. Not sure what their reasoning was, sorry you had to go through that.

This post was edited

You are right, there can be a wide difference between some of the areas in Arizona. I must take that into consideration when we go camping and try to select places that will work for me. And, over time it has proven that even with rocky, uneven terrain I can still find places to camp and even explore a bit. I hope that other disabled members will find ways to go out and explore instead of staying home.

This post was edited