RE: Nudism and Voyeurism/Eroticism: an Oxymoron?

defnitely. Nudism is not about seeing or being seen. Right on!

LOL; Nudism is ALL about seeing or being seen. Just as everywhere in the world!!

Maybe in the Netherlands, but not in the rest of the naturist/nudist world.

This post was edited

Hello. As a statement of observation, there apear to be a recognizable number of groups or forum posts relating to the common intrest of erotic art or voyeurism. Being fairly new to the nudist culture, I may not be completely educated on the incorporation of eroticism and voyeurism in nudist culture. However, I cannot help but be disturbed by the idea that these two -isms can be included in a nudist lifestyle by some people. After your first paragraph, I'm afraid I glazed over and drifted off.

This post was edited

This post was edited

defnitely.Nudism is not about seeing or being seen. Right on!

As much as I understand that argument I would disagree. If you didn't want to be seen nude or see others nude
And thus you illustrate you don't understand the argument. Think about it.

This post was edited

defnitely.Nudism is not about seeing or being seen. Right on!

As much as I understand that argument I would disagree. If you didn't want to be seen nude or see others nude
And thus you illustrate you don't understand the argument. Think about it.

I... don't have to think about it... I understand where you're coming from, but it's still false. If it wasn't a big deal to be seen naked you would sit at home... by yourself... with the curtains pulled... or you'd go to a "clothing optional" and shed em just because that's how you live. You go to a "nudist" venue because you long to be naked with other people... so clearly your nakedness and theirs is important... and it's important because you can see it and they can see you... therefore social nudism is completely about being seen. There's nothing wrong with it... people are still associating "wanting to see other people naked" and "wanting to be seen naked" with this sexual intent... but that's not necessarily true just like the woman in the mini skirt, stilettos and low cut blouse isn't necessarily wearing it to receive sexual attention. Intent plays into it a lot. The old man that sits on the park bench watching children play because he enjoys reminiscing on when he was a child is not intending harm, and is therefore ok. The old man sitting next to him watching the children play because he's fantasizing about doing sexual things with them is considering doing something harmful and awful, and is therefore not ok.

What did someone once tell me to describe nudism? You can look at a man in a business suit and a man in a waiter uniform and know exactly what they do and where they stand in class and status... but when they're nude you can't differentiate the two. The same applies for this, when you come to something as a nudist you shed the physical trappings that help people describe you as a lawyer or a dentist or a garbage man or a convict or... anything. Nudism is the great equalizer, but it also means that you can't sit there and say that "you're only here to look at other people because it's sexual in nature" because when you put on that nudist uniform and take off the others... you're only saying "i live life naked" and nothing else.

What people forget is that we also incorporate more than that into our lives. If we like volleyball and we like beaches... we play beach volleyball. If we like motorcycles and support cancer benefits we ride in the Susan G. Komen motorcycle rally. In the same way we incorporate more into "living life naked" than just sitting like a bump on a log bare assed. Not everything fits together... but if nudism is simply "living life naked" it's arguable IMO to say that most things fit into it... and that includes sexual activity. Now the word "social" is thrown about often enough and it can then be argued that "social" and "sexual activity" cannot exist at the same time (even though I prefer to have sex with other people, but digressing) but I mean... let me try it this way.

You can be a vegetarian and still like golf

You can be a violinist and still like French food

You can be a teacher and still play World of Warcraft while at the same time being a vegetarian golfer who plays the violin at a French restaurant on the weekends... and you can be all of those things and a nudist.

If one is a vegetarian, one is still a vegetarian even when they aren't eating. If one is a polygamist, they are still a polygamist even if they only have one spouse. If one is sexually attracted to women, they still are even if they don't try to have sex with every woman on the planet in every setting they see. I got one more, if one is an alcoholic, one is still an alcoholic even if they don't drink. However, if one does not drink, they don't bear the consequences of alcoholism.

It's not just about what you are, it's what you choose to do with it.

This post was edited
RE: A distraction

Normcastle: I guess the line is drawn where your personal comfort is violated. To me there is usually a clear line, whether a picture is of nudity or does it have other aim as well. If a pic goes beyond my comprehension of nude recreation or regular nude posing, I have hard time to classify person as a nudist/naturist and possible contact is far less open. Any person with a reasonable clothed picture and filled in profile is more convincing than suspicious nude pics combined to an (almost) empty profile.

This post was edited
RE: A distraction

We agree with the underlying concept that most are trying to percieve on here, for us, I guess it is about being seen and seeing others, but I would also add, that ithis is not the main reason, we enjoy being nude whether or not we are seen.
I think it is natural human behaviour to like to see people, in any circumstance, so why would it be different in a nudist setting.
One thing that sets the see and be seen portion of nudism apart from that of the textile world, is that you are not looking at the fashion, or in my hubbys case lack of, so to say that you are not seeing or looking at other people would not be truthful, no different then when you look at people in everyday life.
Lastly, when it comes to nudism, the true nudist, not the purist nudist (who never looks or has a sexual thought ever), is aware of who is around and respects them for it, with no leering, or gawking, sure they look at the person with repect, and look at the eyes, while talking to them.

This post was edited

Nudism online is - almost necessarily - in part about seeing and being seen, since we're not doing anything but sitting at our keyboards, dealing with text and photos. But in the real world (which is to say, away from the keyboard) it's quite possible to be naked, out and about and engaged, with little concern for looking at naked bodies or for being seen naked. That state of relative indifference to nudity, coupled with social engagement, is strongly desired by some people, who were calling themselves nudists before online communities arose, and who, I should think, do have some entitlement to the word.

This post was edited
voyeurism

well here go's my opinion may offend,but I have been a nudist for my intire life,I love the human form,mostly the female form,but the male form also, because of no alturnative name, I have classified my self as a voyeur, It has nothing to do with sex (unless I choose) I just like to watch people nude or clothed,prefer nude, but Im not hiding in the bushs to do this, so if that makes me a bad person than so be it I will wear the title or any other one tagged to me with pride ,I hurt no one nor do I bother them,I observe out in the open.............................NUDISM IS ALL ABOUT BEING SEEN AND SEEING................RIGHT ON.......

This post was edited
RE: voyeurism

well here go's my opinion may offend,but I have been a nudist for my intire life,I love the human form,mostly the female form,but the male form also, because of no alturnative name, I have classified my self as a voyeur, It has nothing to do with sex (unless I choose) I just like to watch people nude or clothed,prefer nude, but Im not hiding in the bushs to do this, so if that makes me a bad person than so be it I will wear the title or any other one tagged to me with pride ,I hurt no one nor do I bother them,I observe out in the open.............................NUDISM IS ALL ABOUT BEING SEEN AND SEEING................RIGHT ON.......
After a while, it should not make any difference as to whether a person is dressed or nude. They are still a person. Voyeurism is not to do with seeing people naked in public, but seeing a person naked when they don't realise you are or watching people have sex surreptiously.

This post was edited