oregon and vermont nudity laws

it seems that oregon and vermont have laid back laws regarding public nudity, if you live or frequent these states are you open to being nude in public areas , backyards, parks, rivers, lakes etc. without worry of prosecution. is that one of the reasons you live in these states. have you ever been nude in a public place and been confronted by law enforcement or a textile people.

This topic was edited
RE: oregon and vermont nudity laws

Ha, I was in Vermont a couple weeks ago and as my car was the only one in a parking lot of an out of the way brook, I took off my suit and walked along in the water. A couple of dogs and their owners showed up and they did not make me feel ok about my lack of attire. Gave me the hairy eyeball when they found me in my car back at the parking lot too. Oh well, I just smiled and waved. Maybe no one ordinarily goes naked there although the guide book said to feel free. Something tells me that skinny dipping does not mean pulling your suit on as soon as you're out of the water!

This post was edited

canoodler even thou you got the hairy eye, from what i have read if he was the law you still wouldn't get thrown in jail for enjoying nature the natural way like the majority of states would. if you ever get a chance to talk to a law enforcement officer ask him what his prespective on vermont laws regarding nudity in public and let us know.

This post was edited

When now Senator Patrick Leahy was Attorney General of Vermont he issued a directive to the effect that skinny-dipping was an old time tradition in Vermont and the police should find something better to do than bother people that were skinny-dipping in a remote area. Passersby may have given you the "hairy eye" but legally there was probably nothing that they could have done.

This post was edited

tim have you tested the waters in portland , have you rode your bike, sat in your yard or at the pier nude. if so did anyone comment to you in a positive or negative way. when you see folks nude in public is it a few or a group. why can't more states relax nudity laws instead of stregthening them.

This post was edited

Yeah it sounds like they're doing away with it... son of a.. why are people letting the government have more control?
It seems like every kind of sexual perversion is not only being allowed but if you DON'T approve you're a hatemonger.. and this is 'progress'.. but not nudity? Maybe we should make it a sexual thing, so the government will cut us a break for once.

This post was edited

if i lived in a state where nudity was tolerated i would test the waters, no i wouldn't go to the grocery store or anything like that but i would enjoy hiking, kayaking and swimming/sunbathing more without worrying about being locked up. more states need to follow oregon and vermonts lead.

This post was edited

would love to live in vermont beside the acceptance of nudity it is a beautiful state full of small towns and villages but alot more expensive to live in than the south and alot colder in winter.

This post was edited

Living here in Vermont there are accepted places for it and like any where else in the country if you try being nude more then likely you are going to have a visit from the cops unfortunately if someone complains.

This post was edited

In Vermont the localities (cities, towns, and villages) can pass anti-nudity ordinances.

This post was edited

Oregon State law from NAC's pages.
163.465 Public indecency.
(1) A person commits the crime of public indecency if while in, or in view of, a public place the person performs:
(a) An act of sexual intercourse; or
(b) An act of deviate sexual intercourse; or
(c) An act of exposing the genitals of the person with the intent of arousing the sexual desire of the person or another person.
(2)
(a) Public indecency is a Class A misdemeanor.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this subsection, public indecency is a Class C felony if the person has a prior conviction for public indecency or a crime described in ORS 163.355 to 163.445. [1971 c.743 s.120; 1999 c.962 s.1]
Note: Section 3, chapter 962, Oregon Laws 1999, provides:
Sec. 3. The Oregon Criminal Justice Commission shall classify felony public indecency as a person felony and crime category 6 of the sentencing guidelines grid of the commission. [1999 c.962 s.3]

163.467 Private indecency.
(1) A person commits the crime of private indecency if the person exposes the genitals of the person with the intent of arousing the sexual desire of the person or another person and:
(a) The person is in a place where another person has a reasonable expectation of privacy;
(b) The person is in view of the other person;
(c) The exposure reasonably would be expected to alarm or annoy the other person; and
(d) The person knows that the other person did not consent to the exposure.
(2) Private indecency is a Class A misdemeanor.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to a person who commits the act described in subsection (1) of this section if the person cohabits with and is involved in a sexually intimate relationship with the other person.
(4) For purposes of this section, "place where another person has a reasonable expectation of privacy" includes, but is not limited to, residences, yards of residences, working areas and offices. [1999 c.869 s.2]

163.700 Invasion of personal privacy.
(1) Except as provided in ORS 163.702, a person commits the crime of invasion of personal privacy if:
(a) The person knowingly makes or records a photograph, motion picture, videotape or other visual recording of another person in a state of nudity without the consent of the person being recorded; and
(b) At the time the visual recording is made or recorded the person being recorded is in a place and circumstances where the person has a reasonable expectation of personal privacy.
(2) As used in this section:
(a) "Makes or records a photograph, motion picture, videotape or other visual recording" includes, but is not limited to, making or recording or employing, authorizing, permitting, compelling or inducing another person to make or record a photograph, motion picture, videotape or other visual recording.
(b) "Nudity" means uncovered, or less than opaquely covered, post-pubescent human genitals, pubic areas or a post-pubescent human female breast below a point immediately above the top of the areola. "Nudity" includes a partial state of nudity.
(c) "Places and circumstances where the person has a reasonable expectation of personal privacy" includes, but is not limited to, a bathroom, dressing room, locker room that includes an area for dressing or showering, tanning booth and any area where a person undresses in an enclosed space that is not open to public view.
(d) "Public view" means that an area can be readily seen and that a person within the area can be distinguished by normal unaided vision when viewed from a public place as defined in ORS 161.015.
(3) Invasion of personal privacy is a Class A misdemeanor. [1997 c.697 s.1]
Note: 163.700 and 163.702 were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 163 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
163.702 Exceptions to ORS 163.700.
The provisions of ORS 163.700 do not apply to:
(1) Any legitimate medical procedure performed by or under the direction of a person licensed to provide medical service for the purpose of medical diagnosis, treatment, education or research, including, but not limited to, the recording of medical procedures; and
(2) Any activity undertaken in the course of bona fide law enforcement or corrections activity or necessary to the proper functioning of the criminal justice system, including but not limited to the operation and management of jails, prisons and other youth and adult corrections facilities. [1997 c.697 s.2]
Note: See note under 163.700.

166.025 Disorderly conduct.
(1) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, the person:
(a) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior; or
(b) Makes unreasonable noise; or
(c) Disturbs any lawful assembly of persons without lawful authority; or
(d) Obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic on a public way; or
(e) Congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse; or
(f) Initiates or circulates a report, knowing it to be false, concerning an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, catastrophe or other emergency; or
(g) Created a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which the person is not licensed or privileged to do.
(2) Disorderly conduct is a Class B misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 s.220; 1983 c.546 s.5]

This post was edited