Is it lewd behavior if outsiders can see you naked in your house?

Hoboken police charge man, 65, with lewdness; could be seen naked through window
https://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2013/05/hoboken_police_charge_man_65_w.html#incart_river

Poll: Is it lewd behavior if outsiders can see you naked in your house?
https://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index.ssf/2013/05/poll_is_it_lewd_behavior_if_ou.html#incart_river

Is it lewd behavior if outsiders can see you naked in your house?
Thank you for voting!
Yes 33.16% (63 votes)
No 66.84% (127 votes)
Total Votes: 190

Bob

This topic was edited
RE: Is it lewd behavior if outsiders can see you naked in your house?

Free legal advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

This post was edited

Don't the people who report you for being nude have to be charged with being Peeping Tom(acina)s? By virtue of their illegal acts, you are now breaking the law.

This post was edited

Here's an example of what you're saying Kouak. I was sitting at the computer. Our office is in the front of the house. We have a concrete porch. I had the blinds open to see out. Can people see in? Not really, unless they get up close and cup their hands around their eyes. A guy comes to the door and rings the door bell. He probably saw the screen on the computer illuminated and knew someone was home. He rang the door bell again and I still did not answer. He walks over to the window, gets up close and shields his eyes from the sun and looks in. I turn my chair look at him and yell ... "I'm not interested. Please leave." I was nude, obviously, I cannot be seen unless someone does this and yet ... if he reported that he saw a naked man in the window, to the police, could I be charged? You have to use common sense. If it's darker inside than it is outside, it's very difficult to see inside, clearly enough to see with certainty that a person's naked. If it's lighter inside the house, like at night and you have the lights on inside ... you'll be seen clearly. In the evenings ... we always turn down the blinds. I think it's ridiculous that a person can't be naked inside his own home and someone passing by looks into a private home and can lodge a complaint.

This post was edited

I'll give him the benefit of doubt and say that he is guilty of stupidity. Otherwise he is an exhibitionist and guilty as charged.

This post was edited

usually to be lewd the person has to do something to bring attention to themselves. simply standing nude in the vicinity of a window isn't lewd unless the laws in that area are puritanical.

This post was edited

Standing in the window for 15 minutes or more is pushing your luck. If I walk up to the window nude in order to close the curtains, which I do occasionally, I don't think it reasonable for someone to complain.
If someone can see you inside away from the window, nude or otherwise, they need to mind their own business.

This post was edited

The Oxford English dictionary defines lewd as 'crude and offensive in a sexual way.' So again this goes back to the argument that simply being naked is not sexual.

This post was edited

It is quite possible the cop did not know the definitions of lewdness or the guy who called either

This post was edited

In Indianapolis, Indiana simple exposure seen from outside one's property is first a (written) warning, and then an arrest. Public nudity is illegal throughout the state, but not lude. Conduct is an added offence. In fact, most counties don't require the police to do anything about home nudity. It's their call.There should be a complaint and investigation for both the warning and arrest if the officer isn't witness to it. Before the Indy law changed seeing nudity or even sex from outside took the judgement of being intentional. But now there are more hotels and apartments downtown. Some converted office towers that look right into each other. When they first made the change to it being an actual offence the first use of the change was done wrong. No investigation, no warning. Just a complaint that the neighbor's kids had been watching a guy masturbate in his house. The cop just arrested him. ... Turned out to only bevisiblethrough a hole in the high fence that used to block the view to the couch.
{{Barnes v. Glen Theatre, Inc.501 U.S. 560(1991) is a landmark decision of theSupreme Court of the United Statesonfreedom of speechand the ability of the government to outlaw certain forms of expressive conduct. The issue was whetherIndiana's public indecency law prohibitingtotal nudity in public placesviolated theFirst Amendment.Chief JusticeRehnquistsaid that the law was clearly within the State's constitutional power because it furthered a substantial governmental interest in protecting societal order and morality. Public indecency statutes reflected moral disapproval of people appearing in the nude among strangers in public places, and this particular law followed a line of State laws, dating back to 1831, banning public nudity.}}

This post was edited