Regarding Popularity

Those of you that have read some of my, sometimes caustic, sometimes controversial posts should realize that I am not here to win any popularity contests. However, recently it was stated in an unrelated post that there are only 100 active members on this site. Noticing my popularity rating, simple math tells me that there are just over 700 totally inactive members more popular than I.
Is this cause for genuine concern?

This topic was edited
RE: Regarding Popularity

The popularity thingy is based solely on profile views.

As far as actual number of active profiles is concerned...it's difficult to determine just based on forum postings. There are approx. 100 regular contributors to the forum. There are quite a few regular users from around the world at all times of day and night in the chat room - most of them rarely or never post on the forum. And most of the regular forum posters seldom show up in chat.A handful of groups are actually active (though from what I can tell most of the active "groups" members are the same that post regularly to the forum) And who knows the number of members who only utilize the message system.

How many truly active members are on this site? LOL...we may NEVER know! I just know WE'RE having a lot of fun interacting and meeting (quite a few IRL) some really terrific people.

Jen

This post was edited

okay...just for the fun of it...I just did a quick "activity" check, and here are the results (for what little they're worth):

Out of 22749 "members" exactly 1,323 have logged into the site today as of 12:59 EST (roughlyhalf way throughthe US day).

LOL...okay, those numbers really don't mean anything at all..just an interesting FYI. Besides, I'm procrastinating starting a new project at work. Of course, I'm going to be busted BIG TIME by my husband who is at home right now and is sure to log in and check the forums before he heads off to work. Hi Honey! I love you! Have a wonderful night at work...can't wait to see you in the morning and really looking forward to having you home this weekend and our much needed fun plans for Saturday.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Me

This post was edited

I totally don't know the criterion for establishing the popularity numbers. I seldom look at that number.

This post was edited

From what I can gather, it's primarily if not entirely a matter of profile views. Site activity seems to have little to do with it. I defer to anyone who has more knowledge of the workings of the Popularity algorithms. Re the active membership, it's well known that the large majority of people who register for websites or BBs seldom or never participate in them. Why they bother to reg at all is known only to them.

You gather correctly. Popularity here is based entirely on profile views.

This post was edited

From what I can gather, it's primarily if not entirely a matter of profile views. Site activity seems to have little to do with it. I defer to anyone who has more knowledge of the workings of the Popularity algorithms. Re the active membership, it's well known that the large majority of people who register for websites or BBs seldom or never participate in them. Why they bother to reg at all is known only to them.

You gather correctly. Popularity here is based entirely on profile views.

Profile views can go up even for someone that doesn't log in. One of the top viewed profiles hasn't logged in in months. I noticed because she lives close enough that I have sent email notifying her when a group of us were going to meet at Hippie Hollow. She never responded and never logged into the site. She was active for a while after joining based on messages and posts she did, but then apparenly quit coming here. There may well be a lot of others who have done the same.
Thomas

This post was edited

Well, I'd have about 31,000 clicks to go. Seems like a lot of work for no real return.

This post was edited

I think the count includes views by people who are not logged in to the site. So if you log out and keep clicking on your profile, you can be Mr/Ms Popular in no time.
I checked this out of curiosity, the views do not go up if you are not logged in.
Thomas

This post was edited

they may get more people who post in the forum to participate in the chatroom if the chatroom wasn't more or less user friendly to one or two specific search engines(correct termin?) firefox or mozilla for example. if a chatroom is offered to the general membership it should work equally well for all users, not just those not using internet explorer.

This post was edited

I use Internet Exploder ... er ... Explorer as little as possible. However, I checked and verified that the chatroom works just fine with the Firefox, Opera and Google Chrome browsers. One thing to note is that the chat software is based on Adobe Flash technology, and older versions of Flash might not be able to handle it. Here's the Flash download page: Install Adobe Flash Player.
My original question was, " why am I less popular than 700 totally inactive members? "

This post was edited

I totally don't know the criterion for establishing the popularity numbers. I seldom look at that number.
Honestly, me too..Maybe im just too lazy to look at it..Or some other thing catches my attention..Anyways,any updates on this thread?
Regards,
michellefins
Pret voiture

This post was edited