On Starting New Groups

I have noticed lately that new groups are forming which are duplicating already existing groups. Since many groups have little activity, the formation of Mirror groups would only dilute the already sparse activity. I would suggest that those starting new groups carefully check through the Groups list to assure that there is no a duplication of effort.
I have also noticed in the Forum, recently, complaints that No one is watching the store. After starting a group, manage it. Appoint moderators as necessary.
Lastly, there has been a rash of inappropriate groups being formed as of late. Keep it clean and be sure that your group conforms to the TOS.

This topic was edited
RE: On Starting New Groups

I have noticed lately that new groups are forming which are duplicating already existing groups. Since many groups have little activity, the formation of Mirror groups would only dilute the already sparse activity. I would suggest that those starting new groups carefully check through the Groups list to assure that there is no a duplication of effort. I have also noticed in the Forum, recently, complaints that No one is watching the store. After starting a group, manage it. Appoint moderators as necessary. Lastly, there has been a rash of inappropriate groups being formed as of late. Keep it clean and be sure that your group conforms to the TOS.
There are now three (Correction, make that 5 :) Gardening groups. When you create a new group, it states in red " Please verify there is not already a pre-existing group, Duplicate Groups will be deleted." But I have never known that to happen. I think it just another symptom of the rapid site growth.

It really is time that TT accepted some help, at least for these simple moderator tasks. Also group members should ask to be moderators, more and more instances are occurring, where the creator is not around to accept new members, and everyone else is powerless to let anyone else in. Eventually the on course of action left, is to start yet another new group.

This post was edited

The list of existing groups is so voluminous, that it could be looking for a needle in the haystack, to find out whether you have a duplication of effort. Nevertheless, it would be appreciated if before starting a new group, check to find out whether there already is a group on your topic.

This post was edited

I have noticed lately that new groups are forming which are duplicating already existing groups. Since many groups have little activity, the formation of Mirror groups would only dilute the already sparse activity. I would suggest that those starting new groups carefully check through the Groups list to assure that there is no a duplication of effort. I have also noticed in the Forum, recently, complaints that No one is watching the store. After starting a group, manage it. Appoint moderators as necessary. Lastly, there has been a rash of inappropriate groups being formed as of late. Keep it clean and be sure that your group conforms to the TOS.

The only exception to this, in my opinion, would be when the creator of a group leaves True Nudists.The way the system is set up now, group titles, descriptions and rules disappear when a creator leaves. The only way for the group to continue functioning to it's full potential is for someone else to start a similar group and ask the former group's members to move to the new group.

Also, it would be a good idea if, when starting a group, creators try making their descriptions and rules reasonably inclusive. For example, there are currently two photography groups here on True Nudists that are not limited to a certain geographic area. Those two are Photography Nudists and Nude Photography & Graphic Art . The Photography Nudists group is supposed to include all forms of photography, but at the moment, the creator of the Photography Nudists group is missing in action. New applicants cannot get in the group. The Nude Photography & Graphic Art group is only about nude photos and art. It is not quite a suitable replacement for the first group. I think that the second group should not have been formed in the first place. Nude photography and graphic arts should have probably been sub-topics in the first group. Does that make sense to any of you?

This post was edited

The following two paragraphs are quoted from Little Miss Linda
The only exception to this, in my opinion, would be when the creator of a group leaves True Nudists.The way the system is set up now, group titles, descriptions and rules disappear when a creator leaves. The only way for the group to continue functioning to it's full potential is for someone else to start a similar group and ask the former group's members to move to the new group.

Also, it would be a good idea if, when starting a group, creators try making their descriptions and rules reasonably inclusive. For example, there are currently two photography groups here on True Nudists that are not limited to a certain geographic area. Those two are Photography Nudists and Nude Photography & Graphic Art . The Photography Nudists group is supposed to include all forms of photography, but at the moment, the creator of the Photography Nudists group is missing in action. New applicants cannot get in the group. The Nude Photography & Graphic Art group is only about nude photos and art. It is not quite a suitable replacement for the first group. I think that the second group should not have been formed in the first place. Nude photography and graphic arts should have probably been sub-topics in the first group. Does that make sense to any of you?
Hi Linda,
As one that has been a professional photographer and also worked in graphic arts, I have to say that one can be a photographer and have no skill in graphic arts. A graphic artist can work forever and never see a camera. This is not to say that one is exclusive of another. I have posted a few of my Photoshop projects in Photography Nudist Group. I feel that both groups have their place on this site.
Contrary to my own posts regarding the establishment of duplicate groups, I have been giving some thought to a group which would replace Photography Nudists. This only because the group has a history of being inactive and now appears to be out of business. Tentative title is Photographers and Models. Yes, I got the idea since you offered to be "resident model" if a new group was created. I have not totally organized my thoughts on rules for the group as of yet but will post as they comes together. Emphasis will be on participation.
We all know that you are shy about posting (LOL) but feedback from you and any interested others will be welcome.

This post was edited

I don't know whether the software allows creating subgroups within a group, but that would be an ideal approach. Set up a generic umbrella photography group and then create subgroups for nudes, nature, travel, etc. That way, instead of bookmarking several groups or searching for them, one goes to the root group and the links to the subgroups are in one place. vBulletin allows that sort of tree arrangement, but there's no way of knowing re the software that TN users, since it is unidentified.

Even without the capability of sub groups, topic posts have the same affect. For example, under a photography group, members can start a topic like nude in nature and even post pics whereas someone else can start a topic nude beaches and post accordingly.
Thomas

This post was edited

No sub-groups, but threads within a group can be used that way.

This post was edited

Even without the capability of sub groups, topic posts have the same affect. For example, under a photography group, members can start a topic like nude in nature and even post pics whereas someone else can start a topic nude beaches and post accordingly.
No sub-groups, but threads within a group can be used that way.
True, but because the threads are not stickable, a fairly active group would in time push the threads down the page and out of mind, unless there was fairly constant activity in them. But of course this is wishing based on what I'm used to on another board with vB software. One must live with what one has.

I don't see this as a problem since we have the same situation in the much larger Forum.

This post was edited
RE: Need help with a group!

My husband and I are moderator's on what started out as an active and terrific group. The creator and the one other moderator are really terrific people and at one time very active members (they were both founding members of the Butt Naked Club). But their lives have become busy (as has my husband's) and they're spending less and less time on the site. Which leaves little ol' me the only one moderating. And my time, too, on the site has become more limited.So I need help. It seems like the only thing I'm really doing is approving or denying members. The few times I've attempted to stir things up there I'v eonly had one group member try to respond (thanks Mac!)

The group is Nude Photography and Graphic Art. (It is the original Photography Group) I have some ideas to get rid of the dead weight members and make it a more active group, but I can't do it alone. Does anybody here know of anyone who would be interested in helping me moderate a photography group?
If so, please drop mea message and let me know.

Thanks! Jen

This post was edited

From the Group Rules of "Nude Photography & Graphic Art":The subject of the art or photograph must be nudism/naturism.
That's totally reasonable on a site called True Nudists, but the "Photography Nudists" (which should be renamed to "Photography") group encompasses a wide range of topics including nudism. Many of my pics are of nature as I see it around my old homestead. Since my nudism is solitary, having no one with whom to share it, I have no nudist-related images other than self-pics from several years. And this old, improperly-maintained body is NOT photogenic.
There is room for both groups, but unfortunately they seem in many instances to be "trophy groups" for profiles rather than places to go to talk about and display photographs.

It seems that the Photography group creator is back in town since Little Miss Linda is now included in the group. Have you resubmitted your request?
I for one would look forward to having you as a member of the group

This post was edited

The focus on photography of the most recent responses gave me an idea, to join one of the groups.

This post was edited