RE: Lagal Nude Beaches

Pashare, From LI Travasuns:
It's not a legally sanctioned nude beach but it is more than just tolerated. There is signage for the clothed areas and the superintendant is working with us to keep things good. The official word is that it's "traditionally a clothing optional beach". I think Gunnison is the only official nude beach in this area. (not nearly as nice many of us think)

This post was edited
RE: Lagal Nude Beaches

In NY I believe Lighthouse beach on Fire Island is "legal" I have been to beaches on Fire Island that are only accessible by boat or 4x4 and while not official the Police marine division patrols them without bothering anybody for being nude.
==========
From LI Travasuns:
Until we talked about it this summer I didn't realize the differences between a legal nude beach and a tolerated or traditional beach. I guess because the rangers see us naked and don't bother us that some feel it's a legal beach. I can't remember off the top of my head what has to be done, but I know the superintendent has to do something, I think file paperwork asking the Parks' service to make a legal designation of a nude beach.
I also just found out that we're allowed to remain nude because the beach was clothing optional prior to the time it became a Federal park. Some thing as far back as 75 years

This post was edited
RE: What states have legal nude beaches?

This whole thing about "legal" v. "tolerated" is very vague. Fire Island which my wife and I visit frequently may only be "tolerated" but it is well marked with official signs as "clothing optional", it is highly populated and regularly patrolled by the police and no one is bothered. That may officially fall into the "tolerated" category but if you're worried about getting arrested or fined, I think that's virtually impossible as long as you don't do any overt acts ( which you shouldn't be doing in public anyway. It taints us all.)
Moshup Beach on Martha's vineyard is "tolerated" the same way as is Surf Side beach on Nantucket. Both are well patrolled but nobody is ever bothered. There's another beach on Martha's vineyard in Chilmark where the town's web site even states that nude bathing is permited past a certain point from the entrance. In fact there was a town meeting about Moshup years ago where they
tried to make it an issue but is was shot down by a fairly large margin
as I was told.
In many cases "tolerated" is for all intents, "legal". I am not a lawyer but I can't imagine them procesuting anyone given the long history of some of these beaches. I absolutely do not worry when my wife and I go there so if you're concern about the difference between tolerated and legal is the fear of arrest, I do not think it is warranted in some cases as long as you reseach your beaches carefully and discuss with people on these and other forums.
- Bill

This post was edited

OREGON has a beach called rooster rock up the Columbia Gorge where you can go in BA nudist is located on the Columbia River

This post was edited
RE: Legal places in the Northeast

So far I know, there isn't any nude beach on Lake Erie's Ohio, USA side.

Years ago we used to go over to the North West side of Kellys Island on Sundays. There was always a group of us there, but I don't know if that is still the case now. I have heard that there is an unofficial nude beach at the West end of East Harbor State Park, but i have not been able to find it, if it is there....

Steve 2

This post was edited
RE: Legal places in the Northeast

I wish I had a good answer to that, but I don't. I can say that my wife and I went to a very secluded beach in Perry Ohio and layed out nude with out to much problem. I believe the land is owned by CEI. Also I know their have been many people that go to this place.

This post was edited

I know florida does but who else?
If you are referring to Haulover Beach, technically it is clothing optional. I always take the words "nude beach" to mean a beach where nudity is required and not optional. Granted we are splitting hairs since when I go to Haulover Beach, the vast majority of people are nude and only a small amount of people are wearing what you would traditionally see at a textile beach.

This post was edited
Sandybay Cape Town

Sandybay in Cape Town South Africa is a legal nude beachand is also a nature reserve. It's very beautiful anda nice 2.5km forest walk fromthe car park. No nudity on the pathway aloud but once you get to the beach you can be all natural.

This post was edited
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

It's a question that appeared on the TV news the other day here.
To establish a nude beach in Cleveland, Ohio, USA on the shores of Lake Erie to promote tourism to Cleveland.
The web poll at the time I voted was something like 438 against, 402 for.
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the cause if anyone reading this would cast a vote here
Thanks....
( yeah, I know. A violation of the TOS to put that link, but I'd hope we can make an exception in this case )

This post was edited
RE: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

It's a question that appeared on the TV news the other day here.To establish a nude beach in Cleveland, Ohio, USA on the shores of Lake Erie to promote tourism to Cleveland.The web poll at the time I voted was something like 438 against, 402 for.I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the cause if anyone reading this would cast a vote hereThanks....( yeah, I know. A violation of the TOS to put that link, but I'd hope we can make an exception in this case )
Got my vote in but "No way" leading "sure, why not?" by 184. Time to pad the poll, everyone?

This post was edited