RE: Why are so many Nudists middle-aged men?

Can't say for sure for anybody else, but in my case, it's taken me a lot of time and work to be comfortable with myself. When I was a younger man, I was so worried about meeting other people's expectations. As I have aged, I've begun to understand the futility of trying to live up to standards or with mores that I really don't agree with. Being naked is only one part of that, but it's an example about how as I get older I don't really give a $#!t about the opinions of most other people. I am who I am, and those who love me understand me, and the rest of the world really doesn't matter.

This post was edited

I was approximately 12 years old when I realized I loved being naked as much as possible. I have been practicing full nudity for 50 years and love it.

This post was edited

I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that this site (and others) seem to be frequented predominantly by middle-aged men. If I were to guess, I would say that the ratio of single males to all others is probably about 10-1.I understand some of the reasons (e.g. men more comfortable about self and nudity in later years, women's nudity still tied to sexuality, etc.) but that still doesn't seem to explain the imbalance. Any (serious) thoughts or opinions on this phenomenon?I'm a life long nudist and I just turned 60 and nothing has changed. I still love being free of the bonds of clothing and free to enjoy life naked. I don't know why the unbalance of men verses women but I'm sure it sexually that has to do with it.

This post was edited

So you did both posts?Betca don't get an honest answer.
Neverreceived an honest answer did you?

This post was edited

I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that this site (and others) seem to be frequented predominantly by middle-aged men. If I were to guess, I would say that the ratio of single males to all others is probably about 10-1.I understand some of the reasons (e.g. men more comfortable about self and nudity in later years, women's nudity still tied to sexuality, etc.) but that still doesn't seem to explain the imbalance. Any (serious) thoughts or opinions on this phenomenon?I'm not sure that your hypothesis is correct. I suspect that there are just as many female and young nudists on Earth as there are us middle aged or old men, but they just aren't as public about their lifestyles and beliefs.

This post was edited

Much of the nudist populationare indeed Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. More Boomers though.The reason for this, and I could be wrong, is cultural. Boomers grew up in an era of "revolution" on many different levels. What was previously hidden or kept in the closet "came out" guns blazing. It was fertile grounds for nudism to develop and for more people to experience it.Many Boomers quit or postponednudism in order to raise us (Gen Xers) in a textile environment.Some reexplored nudism once we left to make our own lives (empty-nest Boomers make up for a huge percentage of the nudist population.)Gen Xers split indifferent directions. Some embraced the openness of the "liberation" of the previous generation; others rejected it entirely. Within my generationthere is a lot of divisiveness when it comes to nudism and what it means. Which is scary because once the Boomer generation has come to pass, my generation will likely do very little to present an united front and preserve it.But that's just one theory; and there are many others.As far as women go...there is a huge body acceptance crisis in this country (as well as others.) The media, fashion world, reality television, obesity epidemic, and the list goes on...are all contributing factors to women's lack of participation. The internet is not a true representation of female nudism though; the ratio is much more balanced in the nudist world. Why do women not participate as much in internet nudism? One word: harassment.Thank you Nudony, for an articulate, intelligent and well-thought out response. I'm with you 100%

This post was edited

Speaking as a middle-aged (well, past that by now...) male nudist:
I've been comfortable nude - sleeping nude, casually nude at home,
nude swimming holes, beaches, camping - since late childhood.
Nudity was just part of my life. My partner died when I was 47.

It's harder, at that age, to meet people, to open up new social
circles. I think that's true for many people in mid-life, when for whatever reason they want to expand socially. It was only then that I joined a nudist club, and in a
sense took up the Nudist label.

This post was edited

I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that thissite (and others) seem to be frequented predominantly bymiddle-aged men. If I were to guess, I would say that the ratio ofsingle males to all others is probably about 10-1.I understand some of the reasons (e.g. men more comfortable aboutself and nudity in later years, women's nudity still tied tosexuality, etc.) but that still doesn't seem to explain theimbalance.Any (serious) thoughts or opinions on this phenomenon?
Hello,
I have personally found that the younger generation (males) are
somewhat prudish about being naked either with other men or in
mixed company. I would hazard a guess that it's about being
able to control certain aspects of ones anatomy (not that I am
making this or my comments sexual), but older guys are more able to
control that side of things compared to younger men.
For those of us that are middle aged, we have all been there in our
younger years and as we have got older, we really don't care what
others think about us being naked in the right situations, we have
gotten over that thing of do I look ok naked or what will others
think of me !
Yes, you are right that we are more comfortable about our self
image and being nude. With regards to female nudity, where or
why is it still tied to sexuality ? I have to assume that
this is to do with societies view of a naked female and not a
naturists view !

This post was edited

This is Mrs. Harley here, speaking on behalf of us women.Men are always speaking for us, and usually are way off track, on most of it.I, as a female have been enjoying nude sun tanning and being naked, as much as I can ever since I was 15 years old.During that entire time till now, I have never once been harassed or felt threatened in any way, what so ever.Yes, of course I have been hit on and have had many many compliments send my way, but at no time, have I ever been harassed to the point that I felt uncomfortable or unsafe.I and we, have been all over the world, and have explored and stayed at many various nude resorts and nude beaches, from vanilla resorts to more adult oriented resorts such as Hedo, Desires and Hidden Beach, and have not once either witnessed any harassment or had any of it coming my way.From my own experience and our own travels, the women are just as much into nudity as the men are, if not even more so.One can not use this site or sites like this one, to gauge what the actual ratios are ( men to women ) , when sites like this attract only older men or single / married perverts, with nothing but time on their hands and looking for a cheap thrill.You read or see so many older men on here who are married, yet there is no involvement from their own wives?You would think, that should be the real question here.Why are you married if, you are not doing things together?Especially the sharing of enjoying the sun and fun together, as a married couple.I would think, that if you are in a healthy loving relationship, that doing things together, especially in your later years, would be the most special and loving thing that you could do, for one another.If she is into nudity, then you are into nudity as well.But, if nudity is just her thing, than you are not with the right partner.Since men love to speak for us woman, let this woman tell you what we think.We happen to think that this site and sites like this one, are flooded with older married men ( sans wife) and single men, just in order for them to get their jollies off.The chat sections are nothing but older men and the forums are dominated with grumpy old men, with not one woman amongst them., yet they are married.The poster writes: Why are so many Nudists middle aged men?Being a female, my answer would be, just because they are looking for a cheap thrill, if the truth be known.Their middle age wife, probably has no idea that they are even trolling on this site, yet here they are.I could be wrong, and just as wrong as you males are, about us woman being in fear of being Harassed, by you males.It is just not so.A simple F OFF, will put a quick end to any unwanted conversations or any corny and unwanted pick up lines.To you married men, who are doing your own thing, without your wives being involved, Shame on you!Find something else, that you can do "together", besides you just thinking about yourself, while finding your own cheap thrills.Dear Mrs Harley,
While I agree with a lot of your comments. What I dislike is that once again, people are assuming that a single male on here is a pervert, after one thing only ! Am sorry, but you are wrong on that point. If anyone is into naturism/nudity, but their partner is not, that does not mean they are a pervert in any way or form, you appear to be classifying all single males on here the same.
Just because you and your husband both enjoy being nude does not follow that everyone else should be the same, neither you or anyone else has the right to say that all single/married men are on here for a cheap thrill. Everyone has their own things that they like to do and that goes for other couples, who accept that one partner is into being naked with others, but THEY are not.
Yes, your view is YOUR view, and you are welcome to say anything you so wish to on here, but you are wrong.
IF when in chat someone is trying it on, then, yes tell them to F OFF, but please don't go assuming that all middle aged guys on here are in it for a cheap thrill. I love being naked with friends, on my own and in social groups, just because my partner does not, doesn't mean that I am doing something wrong. We do things together, but we have things that we do separately too, that is what works for us.
Yes, there are some guys on here just to perv over pictures of naked women, but that is not every male on here ! Your views that a single/married man should be doing the naturism thing with their partner is your view, So you can't speak for everyone with regards to your comments.
I am sure you will have something to say about my comments above and I welcome that, but PLEASE, do not class every male on here, married or otherwise as a pervert because you DO NOT have the right to assume that about every single/married man on here.

This post was edited

This is Mrs. Harley here, speaking on behalf of us women.Men are always speaking for us, and usually are way off track, on most of it.I, as a female have been enjoying nude sun tanning and being naked, as much as I can ever since I was 15 years old.During that entire time till now, I have never once been harassed or felt threatened in any way, what so ever.Yes, of course I have been hit on and have had many many compliments send my way, but at no time, have I ever been harassed to the point that I felt uncomfortable or unsafe.I and we, have been all over the world, and have explored and stayed at many various nude resorts and nude beaches, from vanilla resorts to more adult oriented resorts such as Hedo, Desires and Hidden Beach, and have not once either witnessed any harassment or had any of it coming my way.From my own experience and our own travels, the women are just as much into nudity as the men are, if not even more so.One can not use this site or sites like this one, to gauge what the actual ratios are ( men to women ) , when sites like this attract only older men or single / married perverts, with nothing but time on their hands and looking for a cheap thrill.You read or see so many older men on here who are married, yet there is no involvement from their own wives?You would think, that should be the real question here.Why are you married if, you are not doing things together?Especially the sharing of enjoying the sun and fun together, as a married couple.I would think, that if you are in a healthy loving relationship, that doing things together, especially in your later years, would be the most special and loving thing that you could do, for one another.If she is into nudity, then you are into nudity as well.But, if nudity is just her thing, than you are not with the right partner.Since men love to speak for us woman, let this woman tell you what we think.We happen to think that this site and sites like this one, are flooded with older married men ( sans wife) and single men, just in order for them to get their jollies off.The chat sections are nothing but older men and the forums are dominated with grumpy old men, with not one woman amongst them., yet they are married.The poster writes: Why are so many Nudists middle aged men?Being a female, my answer would be, just because they are looking for a cheap thrill, if the truth be known.Their middle age wife, probably has no idea that they are even trolling on this site, yet here they are.I could be wrong, and just as wrong as you males are, about us woman being in fear of being Harassed, by you males.It is just not so.A simple F OFF, will put a quick end to any unwanted conversations or any corny and unwanted pick up lines.To you married men, who are doing your own thing, without your wives being involved, Shame on you!Find something else, that you can do "together", besides you just thinking about yourself, while finding your own cheap thrills.Mr and Mrs Harley,
Having just looked at your profile, your on the wrong site my dears, you should be on True Swingers, not this site. And you have the nerve to put down men as perverts on here. No offense darlin, but your way out of line. After reading some of the comments on your pictures, you are no different to anyone else on here.
OMG you really boil my blood with your self righteous attitude. Report me if you want to my dear, but do not slag off anyone on here who has the balls to be a naturist, even if their partner does not, your bang out of line.

This post was edited