Do bras do more harm than good?

Sorry to barge in like this, ladies, but my question got buried elsewhere, so I thought I'd ask it here. This comes on the heels of the "Implants" thread.

Unlike women who have breast augmentation surgery, my wife hadbreast reduction surgery because hers were too large. As I said in the original post,her friends would often tease her by asking if they could "borrow" some of what she had.

Women with breasts that are too largeare known tocomplain of back or neck pain. The medical establishment says this is due to the breasts themselves. However, my wife never had back pain. She ALSO never wore a bra since she could never find any that fit her. I wonder if the establishment might be targetting the wrong culprit. Maybe the BRAS are what cause the back and neck pain. That's her theory, anyway. And from what I've heard from another contributor to Forum, hers may not be the only case where thisis true.

Did anyone else notice that back pain disappeared when bras were discarded, and reappeared when bras were worn?

This topic was edited
RE: Do bras do more harm than good?

That's a really interesting question, Gerry. I know of two women who've had breast reductions due to backaches, both were regular bra users. And I'm no longer in a position to ask them (one died and the other I lost track of years ago).

While I'm not terribly large breasted, I do often suffer from back and neck pain. I'll start paying attention to whether or not it seems more or less on days when I wear a bra as opposed to the days I don't.

Jen

This post was edited

I never had any back pain from anything other than my osteoarthritis & bulging disks

This post was edited

Yes, we were thinking along those lines, too, although we probably wouldn't have been able to explain it so well.

This post was edited

My wife had to put up with the same type of ridicule passing for "advice". Since bras, like other clothing, are all around us, many people see no reason to question it.

This post was edited

This is one of the best articles I have ever touching on all issues such as nudity, naturism, effects of clothing, why there is a need for it and why not too. It also touches on what heather said as well (great post). It's called "Naked Beneath Your Clothing"
https://www.difference-engine.co.uk/library/human-rights/naked/naked.htm
I often refer this article to people who have questions about nudism/naturism or for people that are just not sure about trying it.

The possibility that the bra itself is what often causes the back pain is a good point and probably has some definite truth to it. Logic suggests that as soon as you redistribute the weight of something that was connected to the body a certain weight, you are putting undue stress on another portion that wasn't meant to carry it. The Shoulders just aren't meant to carry what we often put on them. I'm in the FD and when we have extended calls where the air-packs are on our shoulders for a while, no matter how fit you might be, it takes a toll. Even those who have worn the back pack style baby carriers know what I mean on this.
This may sound like a typical guy response but I think bras should be outlawed. They are a waste of money and mostly unnecessary. I get the "eye roll" from my wife every time I tell her that.
Mike

This post was edited

This is one of the best articles I have ever touching on all issues such as nudity, naturism, effects of clothing, why there is a need for it and why not too. It also touches on what heather said as well (great post). It's called "Naked Beneath Your Clothing" https://www.difference-engine.co.uk/library/human-rights/naked/naked.htmI often refer this article to people who have questions about nudism/naturism or for people that are just not sure about trying it. The possibility that the bra itself is what often causes the back pain is a good point and probably has some definite truth to it. Logic suggests that as soon as you redistribute the weight of something that was connected to the body a certain weight, you are putting undue stress on another portion that wasn't meant to carry it. The Shoulders just aren't meant to carry what we often put on them. I'm in the FD and when we have extended calls where the air-packs are on our shoulders for a while, no matter how fit you might be, it takes a toll. Even those who have worn the back pack style baby carriers know what I mean on this. This may sound like a typical guy response but I think bras should be outlawed. They are a waste of money and mostly unnecessary. I get the "eye roll" from my wife every time I tell her that. Mike

Mike, I've not worn a bra for over a dozen years now. I do wear lots of jackets and blouses with strategically placed pockets. Your wife could just wear an athletic type woman's t-shirt...Hanes for Her has them or a camisole.

This post was edited

Thanks for an excellent post Heather, and to you Gerry for posting this thread.

It's really good to see threads that are of interest and helpful to the female nudist,
and as Jen said, to get a female point of view.

Let's all hope it's the first of many :)

I have added a link on the FAQ links page,

and on the Sticky List.

It will be a valuable addition to our ever growing knowledge bank.

Thanks again Heather, and to you Mike for your link to:

"Naked Beneath Your Clothing"

Phil.

This post was edited

I have campaigned against bras all my life! (Of course when I was younger it was for different reasons) I have found it interesting that it is mostly a women's issue. In my experience, it is women who are the most critical of other women who choose to go braless.

This post was edited

I think not my wife never wears one around the house and when she goes out the first (and only thing ) that come off is her bra. her sister are the same way I asked her one time if you doint wear a bra 70-80% of the time why wear one at all the only thing she said was couse you have too

This post was edited

good for you, and womenss breasts look better without a bra. Braless is sexy!

This post was edited