Malaysian Tribes Blame Quake on Tourists' Nude Photos on Mount Kinabalu

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/malaysian-tribes-blame-quake-canadians-naked-photos-mount-kinabalu-n371646
Malaysian tribal leaders blame a group of Western tourists, including two Canadians, for triggering a deadly earthquake by taking naked photos of themselves on a sacred mountain, a local official told NBC News on Monday.

This topic was edited
RE: Malaysian Tribes Blame Quake on Tourists' Nude Photos on Mount Kinabalu

I just heard that on The Bob and Tom Show a few min ago.
The power of nudity must have more power than I realized.

This post was edited

Let us hope that no one strips down near the San Andreas Fault. Nudity there could cause the whole State of California to slide into the Pacific.

This post was edited

I heard that at least one of them has already been arrested,they may have seen it as just a bit of fun,but when you are in their country,you should respect their beliefs

This post was edited

By Mark Stone, Asia Correspondent, in Borneo
Four western tourists, including a 24-year-old British woman, are spending a third full day behind bars in Malaysia after stripping naked on a mountain.

Briton Eleanor Hawkins has been remanded in custody until Saturday, along with Canadian siblings Danielle and Lindsey Petersen, and an unnamed Dutch man.
The four were detained after pictures of them posing naked on top of Borneo's sacred Mount Kinabalu circulated online. Some of the group are also alleged to have urinated into a mountain pond, despite being asked by guides not to do so.
Borneo's dominant indigenous tribe, the Dusun, claim the westerners' behaviour on the mountain, regarded by them as the resting place of the dead, upset their gods and caused an earthquake days later which killed 18 people.
According to locals Sky News has spoken to, the tribal anger has been exacerbated by local politicians who have also drawn a link between the nudity and the earthquake.

This post was edited

What happens if they get convicted? It may seem a bit absurd to most of us,but to them,these people may be responsible for the death of 18 people,which i expect would be a pretty serious crime,do they have the death penalty? No doubt the home countries would have to get involved,but how would you defend them?

This post was edited

What happens if they get convicted? It may seem a bit absurd to most of us,but to them,these people may be responsible for the death of 18 people,which i expect would be a pretty serious crime,do they have the death penalty? No doubt the home countries would have to get involved,but how would you defend them?Latest news The British backpacker who caused outrage by exposing her naked breasts on a sacred Malaysian mountain is due to fly way home after pleading guilty to public indecency and saying she was totally remorseful. Eleanor Hawkins, 23, was sentenced to three days in prison, equivalent to time served since her arrest on Tuesday. Ms Hawkins and three other tourists were each fined 5,000 Malaysian ringgit (860) by the court in the state of Sabah on the island of Borneo.

This post was edited