circumcised - state or event?

Some men I know say 'I am circumcised', a state in which they are, like 'I am bald/hairy/short ...'. Other guys say 'I have been circumcised', and it was an event, like 'I have been vaccinated'. (When referring to the actual operations everyone says 'I was circumcised as a baby/man ...').
So ... are you circumcised, or have you been circumcised? I, most definitely, am!!

This topic was edited
RE: circumcised - state or event?

When I say it; during an adult like conversation, I say it as both a statement acknowledging that it's best for me and my partner, also as an event that was required

This post was edited

AM!

This post was edited

I am circumcised. I chose to be at the age of 22. It is/was a personal choice for me and I am still happy with that decision 41 years later. When I am asked why I had it done, I usually reply "I got tired of looking at the same old thing."

This post was edited

its sort of the same thing isn't it? if you are circumcised then you are circumcised and have been circumcised. I was not circumcised until I was 36, through choice, so I am circumcised and have been circumcised. its semantics. and I like being circumcised personally and did it because I wanted to be, but I disagree with routine circumcision as a baby if no medical reasons are present. but I am much more than my penis and if I am asked directly for whatever reason the state of my penis in regard to its foreskin then I say I am circumcised. simple!

This post was edited

Hmmm, that is something to think about. While at present I am, I also was. When asked if I am, my reply is yes. When asked when, I say at birth. So, was I or am I? I am, therefore I was. But then again, if I wasn't, would I be? A question to ponder on. I guess I shall never know. In answer to your question sir, I am therefore I was.

This post was edited

Thanks for all these comments, and good to have a mix of RICs and by choice as adult. Yes, it is semantics, but then English is capable of such tiny gradations! I suppose what I am getting at is how far you regard it as part of your self-identity, and how far you regard as a one-off event. Perhaps the nearest parallel would be some other body-mod, such as a tattoo. Clearly, there was a time (however short) at which we were all uncircumcised, so we all 'have beencircumcised'.

This post was edited

I am, Because I was.

This post was edited

I am and feel good about it

This post was edited

I was circumcised as a baby and okay with it so I am. When we had boys my wife and I went around and around over the decision of wether they should be. I said yes because I thought they might think they were odd not looking like the father when younger so they were. Now they are in college and they have never asked me why they were so I don't think it bothers them or there has been any emotional scarring. If I was to do it all over I'm not sure. I think I'll ask them if they think they will have their sons cut if they have any.

This post was edited

I am and feel good about itSame here :-)

This post was edited