State & National Parks

What are the laws regarding recreating nude in state and national parks? Have you had any problems doing so with the authorities?
How do you feel about recreating in the nude there, too?
The reason why I ask is because there are no nudist facilities anywhere near where I live, but there are state and national parks nearby, and some are quite beautiful, including the second largest canyon in America right behind the Grand Canyon.
Jim Shorts
Texas Naturists Group (like here and on Facebook)
Amarillo, Texas

This topic was edited
RE: State & National Parks

The best source of legal advice would surely be a lawyer in the
area of interest, but I understand there are no federal laws
prohibiting simple nudity on federal property. However state and
local authorities are generally empowered to enforce state and
local laws on federal property. State and local laws regarding
public nudity vary widely. While very few states specifically
prohibit simple public nudity, they instead prohibit indecent
exposure, which applies only when some lewd act is also involved.
In order to issue a citation for simple nudity authorities will
usually issue one for disorderly conduct, or disturbing the peace.
If you protest too much they might arrest you for resisting arrest.
I believe that being convicted of indecent exposure gets one put on
the sexual offender list and enduring all the restrictions that
entails while disordely conduct citations do not. What I've
described ignores all the local restrictions that may also apply
wherever you happen to be, and local laws might have a lower
threshhold for subjecting the offender to sexual offender
restrictions. Being discovered nude in the wrong public place can
have great risk. If confronted do not antagonize the authorities or
they might make your life miserable. As nudists we are extremely
vulnerable to arbitrary discriminatory laws because we lack
political power.

This post was edited

I suggest you check out the Naturist Action Committee (NAC) at naturistaction.org. They have a large list of laws and regulations regarding nudity.
But as Bill pointed out, localities have their own laws, and individual rangers/officers can cite or arrest you regardless of your true legal standing.
I suspect there are people within The Naturist Society or a local affiliated group who know the real situation where you are.

This post was edited

I don't have anything to add to this but I do appreciate the information. There are a few parks in the area and I would love to be able to take a nice hike in one of them. John

This post was edited

If you're careful and considerate of others, there are numerous places you can recreate nude in State and National parks.
Forget nude camping in any of the developed camp grounds, you're asking to be ticketed or worse yet arrested. There are however many parks where dispersed camping is allowed. The harder it is to access these areas, the more likely you can enjoy some naked time without offending others and getting yourself into trouble. Key is to use judgement and confine your nude activities to the back country.

This post was edited

Consider National Forest land - except when there is a so-called "closure order" - usually issued when some kind of event is going on - nudity is not prohibited at campsites in undeveloped areas. Undeveloped means, practically speaking, that no one can drive or take a marked trail to within sight of you. You are, of course, subject to whatever restrictions the forest service is putting on remote camping in the particular forest.

This post was edited

I suggest you check out the Naturist Action Committee (NAC) at naturistaction.org. They have a large list of laws and regulations regarding nudity.But as Bill pointed out, localities have their own laws, and individual rangers/officers can cite or arrest you regardless of your true legal standing.I suspect there are people within The Naturist Society or a local affiliated group who know the real situation where you are.Thanks for the tips. There is no locally affiliated group accept the one I just created.

This post was edited

Also understand that many state parks are managed by counties which make any county laws enforce. Check the sign going in, it usually states if it managed by another entity.

This post was edited

What are the laws regarding recreating nude in state and national parks? Have you had any problems doing so with the authorities?How do you feel about recreating in the nude there, too?The reason why I ask is because there are no nudist facilities anywhere near where I live, but there are state and national parks nearby, and some are quite beautiful, including the second largest canyon in America right behind the Grand Canyon.Jim ShortsTexas Naturists Group (like here and on Facebook)Amarillo, Texas

This post was edited

I went to the local National Forest and Parks office today to get a map for a free hike I am going on tomorrow. So I asked the people behind the counter what the policy is for free hiking and skinny dipping in the Tonto National Parks. Both of them had been with the park service for several years. They looked at each other and said that they had never been asked that question but they said the rangers they knew wouldn't be concerned as long as it was all adults and not naked in front of children. So for what that is worth. It was worth a smile having them look at each other and try figuring out what to say.

This post was edited

Asking if free hiking or skinny dipping is permitted is not a good idea for two reasons. 1.) It is always easiest and safest for the person being asked to say no, even when that's not the correct answer. 2.) Once you've been told something is not permitted you can't do it and then plead ignorance. And when it's a matter of law no government bureaucrat will take a stand on what is, or is not legal. Only a court can make that decision.
My few experiences with park rangers have been good. When they indicated that nudity was inappropriate I got dressed and that was that. At other times nudity was not a problem. As you get further from civilization your chances of encountering a ranger decrease, and when you're in remote areas with no cellphone coverage anyone who might want to report you for being nude would have a hard time doing so. People I've met on trails have never indicated that they had a problem with my lack of attire, but I'm ready to cover up when necessary, and I'm non-confrontational.

This post was edited