How Big is Your Pillbox?

Some years ago, when I was a young adult just starting out on my own, my mother flew cross-country for a week's visit. As she got off the plane she and another woman, about the same age, were engaged in a lively conversation about health concerns, medications, and what pills they took regularly. Each was carrying a small pillbox in her purse as well, just for verification of their daily regimen of meds!Since I was in my mid-twenties and knew everything (what person that age doesn't?), I concluded that they were a couple of hypochondriacs who'd met on the plane--why else would they be having such a conversation?. .. Fast forward to the present. I'm now in my late sixties (about to turn seventy) and, like many others here, I have several medications I take daily, each at a different time of day. My mother's pillbox wassmall with gold filigree on the outside, about the size of a US silver dollar. MY pillbox, on the other hand, would have had folks of her generation gaping in awe!! It has the seven days of the week running in one direction. For each day it has four small boxes--labeled asmorning, noon, evening and bedtime--twenty-eight little boxes in all, each with a small door I can pop open to take the pills contained therein.It's about the size of a small laptop. I guess I've come full circle now, living the norm for senior citizens.

This topic was edited
RE: How Big is Your Pillbox?

I am on the cusp of turning 71 and feel fortunate to only take two prescription medications, both in minimal dosages. I have to admit, however, that I keep a supply of ibuprofen and naproxen handy for those days when my activity has outpaced my capability.

This post was edited

Some years ago, when I was a young adult just starting out on my own, my mother flew cross-country for a week's visit. As she got off the plane she and another woman, about the same age, were engaged in a lively conversation about health concerns, medications, and what pills they took regularly. Each was carrying a small pillbox in her purse as well, just for verification of their daily regimen of meds!Since I was in my mid-twenties and knew everything (what person that age doesn't?), I concluded that they were a couple of hypochondriacs who'd met on the plane--why else would they be having such a conversation?. .. Fast forward to the present. I'm now in my late sixties (about to turn seventy) and, like many others here, I have several medications I take daily, each at a different time of day. My mother's pillbox wassmall with gold filigree on the outside, about the size of a US silver dollar. MY pillbox, on the other hand, would have had folks of her generation gaping in awe!! It has the seven days of the week running in one direction. For each day it has four small boxes--labeled asmorning, noon, evening and bedtime--twenty-eight little boxes in all, each with a small door I can pop open to take the pills contained therein.It's about the size of a small laptop. I guess I've come full circle now, living the norm for senior citizens.i had to guy a back pack for my pillbox. ROFL Pat

This post was edited

I'll turn 60 this year, and fortunately my pillbox is still empty. I do take a multi-vitamin and glucosamine daily, but they're OTC and no big deal if I miss one. It's not actually clear if either one is really necessary.

This post was edited

I have two; morning, and evening. The morning one is more a supplements and meds. The evening one is more med related. I'm a type 2 diabetic, so many of the meds are related to that, but I do have seasonal alergies, so I have a couple of meds for that too . As far as supplements, it's B complex, zinc, D3, probiotic, baby aspirin

This post was edited

I'll turn 60 this year, and fortunately my pillbox is still empty. I do take a multi-vitamin and glucosamine daily, but they're OTC and no big deal if I miss one. It's not actually clear if either one is really necessary.Exactly my situation. I try my best to avoid taking medication. Good health is NOT taken for granted.

This post was edited

After a heart attack 4 years ago when I was 50, the doctor now has me on 7 different pills, 4 in the morning, 3 at night, so I have 2 pill boxes, one for morning, one for night, theyare a 7 day pill box. Doing great and feeling fine today.

This post was edited

I have finally and surprisingly reached the nice age of 75. My pillbox is like that ofthe first posting(above). I take medications for my heart (a fib, among other problems), pills for diabetes, pills for high blood pressure and even a pill to prohibit constipation. Being in hospice care and having a nurse to come by at least once a week limits a lot of my activity. On top of all that I take medicine to help slow down dementia. Several months ago I underwent surgery to repair hernias on my lower left side, one of which protruded into the "belly button". Still even now I am seeing some more problems developing around my prostate, including perhaps another hernia on my lower right side. The problem now is that I am unable to have the surgery because I am not able to be put to sleep. Even with all my health problems I am still in better shape than a majority of people my age. On the lighter side, I read the obituary column in the daily paper to see if I happen to be listed there. Life is still a blessing and a joy. Tom M

This post was edited

I'm 64, I have no pillbox. I take since a while some multivitamins but not sure is really useful. I finished a B12 injection cure, that was good. Feel the difference. For the rest I just live, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.

This post was edited