Sex outside of traditional Marriage!

Well there have been comments about this being a sleepy group, but it is a sleeping lion.
This topic should wake us up. Remember that you are experiencing your opinion, your point of view, your understanding with God.
I hope you will extend grace toward others that have a differing view.
I take a liberal view of this subject.
For Solomon he was blest by God with 100 wives and 1000 concubines.
I heard but cannot confirm that Martin Luther said "If the wife say nay, le the maid come"
We have a choice to discuss this and get all worked up (not fun)
Accept that we have different opinion and practice and can learn from each other even if we disagree (edifying)
Let the carnage begin

This topic was edited
RE: Sex outside of traditional Marriage!

Well...I see that this topic has lied dormant for a year now, so I suppose it is high time it gets addressed. I believe in mutual monogamy...one wife...one husband...faithful to each other. I believe the New Testament supports this view, particularly for church leaders...pastors, elders and deacons. That said, I know it was common practice in the Old Testament, and not condemned in the Bible, for the patriarchs to have more that one wife. I do believe that the state doesn't define marriage. Issuing "marriage licenses" is merely a form of taxation and registration. A couple that considers themselves married...is married. The rest is formalities and legalities. As for sex outside of traditional marriage...I believe that would not be honoring to God. Keep sex for each other.

This post was edited

I agree with you.

This post was edited

I personally believe that for myself that sex is designed for a married couple in a faithful relationship, one man one woman. this is just my personal feeling and choice!!

This post was edited

I am no theologian, but I believe that the Bible is not written by God, but is inspire by Him, and contains great wisdom and guidance. In modern times, the scriptures are very much "cherry picked", and those things which reflect the unpleasant elements of a bygone age are quietly ignored, while other things, which do not offend our modern sensibilities, are brandished like sabres in a war. From this mindless prejudice is born.
On elements of life that appear contrary to the "written Word", I hold in my mind firstly :
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them (Matthew 7:12)
Or, to put it more simply, do as you would be done by. If no one is hurt by actions that appear "un Christian", then surely these things cannot offend God. One must be fully aware of the consequences of one's actions and not follow Matthews quote of the Prophets' law blindly.
Also, let us not forget :
God is love ; and he that dwelleth in love, dwelleth in God, and God in him. (John 4:16)
If one is in a loving relationship, marriage or otherwise, of which a part is sex, surely God must see the love (one of His most precious gifts to us) and not be offended that the sexual part of the relationship is extra-marrital.
To be slightly more contoversial, I believe that recreational sex is not an offence, if those involved are fully cogniscent of the situation, thus preventing any misunderstandings before or after, although it is important that you are honest with your life partner at all times. That way, love is maintained, and no one is hurt.

This post was edited

Marriage is a covenant much like the covenants God made with humanity. A covenant meant to be kept so as long as one is married I believe they should only be sexual with that one person. Temptations to the contrary not withstanding.

This post was edited

For me personally (I must stress this a hundred times - its for me personally and nobody else), marriage must be monogamous and for life. I do not believe in divorce and a re-marriage after a divorce because my marriage vow was "till death us do part". But I understand this is the 21st century and I have lots of divorced friends and remarried ones too. I've attended many weddings in which the bride or the groom or both still have a surviving spouse or rather, ex-spouse. It's no big deal to me.
I don't judge or show disapproval if someone engages in premarital sex. I think it's for him or her to decide. But cheating on one's spouse is a different issue. It's the issue of honesty and hurting another person (i.e. the spouse) is always a big wrong to me.

This post was edited

I personally believe that for myself that sex is designed for a married couple in a faithful relationship, one man one woman. this is just my personal feeling and choice!!I feel the same way. ~~ Diane I'm currently single, but I 100% agree with your personal choice and feeling. Jeff

This post was edited

but cannot confirm that Martin Luther said "If the wife say nay, le the maid come"

The third case for divorce is that in which one of the parties deprives and avoids the other, refusing to fulfill the conjugal duty or to live with the other person. For example, one finds many a stubborn wife like that who will not give in, and who cares not a whit whether her husband falls into the sin of unchastity ten times over. Here it is time for the husband to say, If you will not, another will; the maid will come if the wife will not. Only first the husband should admonish and warn his wife two or three times, and let the situation be known to others so that her stubbornness becomes a matter of common knowledge and is rebuked before the congregation. If she still refuses, get rid of her; take an Esther and let Vashti go, as King Ahasuerus did (Esther 1:122:17).

https://beggarsallreformation.blogspot.com/2006/10/pbs-presents-facts-that-luther.html

This post was edited

Be careful of how you interpret scripture. Many people distort scripture to suit them.

This post was edited

I think before we go too far in monotonously debating whether this sex or that sex is legal or not, we should ask these things first: Does it glorify or disgrace God? Does it hurt your spouse, parents or children? Does it bring blessing to others or endangering their life and peace? Does it negate us from giving our best to people around us? Since I believe that following Christ is definitely about giving our life and love for God and others instead of satisfying our personal views, desires and agendas; it is mandatory to put ourselves in others' shoes first, including God's.

This post was edited