RE: Oregon Shooting

Reported today in USA
An 11-year-old boy has been charged with murder after he allegedly shot dead his eight-year-old neighbour and schoolmate over a puppy.
Utter madness, but maybe if she was carrying she could have fought back.

This post was edited

Reported today in USAAn 11-year-old boy has been charged with murder after he allegedly shot dead his eight-year-old neighbour and schoolmate over a puppy.Utter madness, but maybe if she was carrying she could have fought back.And the 11 year olds parents will defend the right to keep guns unsecured in the house.
I have registered weapons in my farm for vermin control, but they are 300 km away from where I am currently. They are locked in a metal safe and the key is with me.
I don't need them to protect myself from insecure people carrying guns. Our police carry weapons that's enough and sporting shooters leave their guns in armouries at their respective gun clubs. or locked metal gun safes where ammunition has to by law be stored in a separate locked compartment in the gun safe.
So why do Americans need weapons, is it to protect themselves from other Americans who need weapons to protect themselves from other people who are doing the same thing.
I also concede that we had a radicalized young Muslim 15 year old youth shoot a civilian police office worker just recently in Sydney. How he got the gun will be interesting and how many more of these illegal guns are in circulation with the radicalized groups .At least he only had an old 6 shot revolver not an automatic cache of weapons on him.
A sad world indeed.

This post was edited

Well...let's not play too fast & loose with the numbers because we all must remember that there are "lies, damn lies and statistics".1. The US may have the most mass shootings (38) but when the numbers are corrected for population; it drops significantly;2. Firearms homicides number 11208 for the CDC's last web published data (Mexico drug dealer war deaths number 12903 for the first 9 months of 2011);3. An article on a mass shooter said he had two targets and chose the one less defended (i.e. the one with no guns);4. The US does have the highest number...if you eliminate the sects from middle east and most of the third world...and if you eliminate all the non-public killings south of the Rio ... not to mention the current plight of urban areas ... and again do not correct for total population;5. Pretty close...estimated guns 310000000...estimated people 320000000...not counting illegals of either type......6. This is only minimally correct if you eliminate all the irregular / civilian type fighting factions of the world, bombs and chemical weapons are only as accurate as their delivery (what about biological?);7. The Declaration's rough draft was primarily Jefferson's (he borrowed ideas from George Mason) but was edited by Franklin and several others from non-slave states...I've never fired a musket but your 10 seconds is probably pretty close.This is a very tough position...you keep yours and I'll keep mine.You are 100% correct. You could not be more correct. Your post attempting to muddy the waters of this topic is full of lies, misstatements, and fuzzy statistics.
On 9/11/2001 Americans were shocked, appalled, incensed, and rightfully angry that there were almost 3,000 deaths from the hands of the terrorists. Following your logic since 3,000 divided by our population of 321,800,000 is O N L Y 0.00093225605 % why all of the outrage? *rolls eyes*
Bringing up automotive safety, and the deaths from car accidents to compare with gun safety is quite simply crap! Cancer is a major killer that causes untold human suffering. Heart disease is no picnic for those that suffer and die from cardiac issues. But, no rational person goes around saying that medical research for one should be at the expense of the other! Just as fighting cardiac disease and fighting cancer can go on independently, so can auto safety and gun control be independent as well.
No matter how you look at it, 33,636 gun deaths (CDC stat) is a huge (Donald Trumpism), unconscionable, and reduceable waste of human life. Most Americans are in favor of better background checks and the elimination of the gun show loop hole. Trying to mitigate the amount of human tragedy, trying to bring up auto safety, and trying to muddy the waters is intellectual dishonesty.

This post was edited

If one chooses NOT to own a firearm.....I will respect that......but keep in mind.....when thieves....are planning a break in of a home....even if half the homes in a neighborhood.....are NOT gun owners....they benefit for those that do....the thieves...are deterred by the fact ..that they does NOT know which break in will get them shot/killed."Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It start when you are always afraid..." (Buffalo Springfield).
Where in this country is crime that rampant? If you are that afraid you need to move to a safer location. If moving to a safer neighborhood does not provide you with more psychological security perhaps you need to speak with a therapist. Perhaps a psychologist can help you work out how you are so paranoid that the big bad gov't is going to come after you so you need to preserve freedom with your firearms and how there are so many criminals you need to live in an alarmed andarmed state of mind.
For Gawd's sake, the conservatives rant that the liberal cities in blue states have unbearable gun laws and are rife with crime. I live two counties away from (liberal) New York City in New York State (a blue state) in a county with fairly strict gun carry laws (Suffolk County). Frequently I leave with either the front door or the garage open. When home I keep the front door unlocked. There is no arsenal here to keep the criminals from invading my property. Guess what? I have never been the victim of crime and to the best of my knowledge none of my neighbors have either.
I like living where gun laws exist, it gives me a feeling of security. You evidently live in a world were gun ownership is both allowed and common. Yet, you live in a world of fear. I prefer my world; it's more peaceful!

This post was edited

Have you ever been a victim of a violent crime??? Its easy to claim a gun owner is living in fear...but the reality is...responsible gun owners do NOT live in fear....Sorry but the very reason gun owners carry a gun is the FEAR they might be the victim of a violent crime.

This post was edited

Sorry but the very reason gun owners carry a gun is the FEAR they might be the victim of a violent crime.spoken like a person isolated from violent crime.....

This post was edited

I will not bother to cite the data that my response was based upon as
you have obviously stopped all sense of debate or reasoning; my attempt
was to offer a counter, a 'first negative' for the facts offered by
rabbit. Every set of facts is based upon a premise that may or may not
be true to the original intent. Yours does not appear to offer any real
rebuttal, but instead goes for an emotional dogma approach to the
subject. And you DARE state that I am intellectually dishonest. Please
see below:
"You are 100% correct. You could not be more correct. Your post
attempting to muddy the waters of this topic is full of lies,
misstatements, and fuzzy statistics.
On 9/11/2001 Americans were
shocked, appalled, incensed, and rightfully angry that there were almost
3,000 deaths from the hands of the terrorists. Following your logic
since 3,000 divided by our population of 321,800,000 is O N L Y
0.00093225605 % why all of the outrage? *rolls eyes*
Bringing up
automotive safety, and the deaths from car accidents to compare with gun
safety is quite simply crap! Cancer is a major killer that causes
untold human suffering. Heart disease is no picnic for those that suffer
and die from cardiac issues. But, no rational person goes around saying
that medical research for one should be at the expense of the other!
Just as fighting cardiac disease and fighting cancer can go on
independently, so can auto safety and gun control be independent as
well.
No matter how you look at it, 33,636 gun deaths (CDC stat) is a
huge (Donald Trumpism), unconscionable, and reduceable waste of human
life. Most Americans are in favor of better background checks and the
elimination of the gun show loop hole. Trying to mitigate the amount of
human tragedy, trying to bring up auto safety, and trying to muddy the
waters is intellectual dishonesty."
1.Trying to equate a mass
killing by a middle eastern terrorist group with an act of a disturbed
man is a regrettable use of poor logic;
2. Equating accidents and planned murders as comparable data sets shows a lack of comprehension for the scenario in question;
3. The CDC numbers are factual but we are differentiating PLANNED ACTS of lunatics with the consequences of a lack of safety;
4. Baltimore has some of the most strict guns laws in the country...checked the news lately?
Please be more factually based and rational with your next reply. In the words of Stan Lee....'nuff said.....

This post was edited

I will not bother to cite the data that my response was based upon ...That was duly noticed.

This post was edited

I will not bother to cite the data that my response was based upon ...That was duly noticed.
I will not bother to read data when the source is not stated.

This post was edited

The real reason for owning a gun for self defence is exposed in FEAR With nothing to fear there is no need of a gun other than food - and how many people hunt purely to put food on the table? I would say not that many. No the real reason for ownership is FEAR.I agree with you, Rene, but you'll never get them to admit it. Too many people on here are frightened to speak the truth,and will continue making up ridiculous excuses.

I agree with you MOW, you folks will use any excuse to change a Constitution that you do not even live under.

This post was edited