RE: Oregon Shooting

The real reason for owning a gun for self defence is exposed in FEAR With nothing to fear there is no need of a gun other than food - and how many people hunt purely to put food on the table? I would say not that many. No the real reason for ownership is FEAR.I agree with you, Rene, but you'll never get them to admit it. Too many people on here are frightened to speak the truth,and will continue making up ridiculous excuses.

This post was edited

Good grief people. It has been pointed out that there are morefirearms than people in the US. Household containing firearms areclose to 50%. Many people who do not own guns would not be happy tohave that right taken away. The NRA has the second largestmembership of any organization. Only AARP is bigger. Since our veryinception the Right to Keep and Bear Arms has been revered as afundamental right and funny thing, SCOTUS agrees with that now. (Ithad been "dodging the bullet" so to speak for a good century.)Guns are the reality. It isn't going to change any time soon.Probably not in my lifetime. Taken in the grand scheme of thingsdeath by firearm is pretty small potatoes. Every year wevoluntarily march into premature graves in the millions. Death byfirearms is WAY down the list. I don't plan to surrender my right to eat cholesterol any time soon. You really want to start a gun war to replace the drug war? Guns are way more popular and don't get used up like drugs.Someone who is willing to kill you doesn't care if he's in a gun free zone. Stupid stupid.So come up with solutions that law abiding gun owners won't objectto and might actually have a chance to happen and you'll have accomplished something. Like reforming themental health system. Otherwise you'll go nowhere but feel reallyvirtuous in the process.People who whine on about cop killer bullets just signal to therest of the world they don't have clue. Ain't no such critter. Goforth and study basic terminal ballistics and come back and talkintelligently.BTW, I have quite an arsenal at home. Some was inherited from myfather. Some from my father in law. Some I bought myself. Allnicely locked up. Some have been gifted to my children and wife.Don't tell me fear has anything to do with it because you don'tknow me. I just like to shoot.good post!

This post was edited

Good grief people. It has been pointed out that there are more firearms than people in the US. Household containing firearms are close to 50%. Many people who do not own guns would not be happy to have that right taken away. The NRA has the second largest membership of any organization. Only AARP is bigger. Since our very inception the Right to Keep and Bear Arms has been revered as a fundamental right and funny thing, SCOTUS agrees with that now. (It had been "dodging the bullet" so to speak for a good century.) Guns are the reality. It isn't going to change any time soon. Probably not in my lifetime. Taken in the grand scheme of things death by firearm is pretty small potatoes. Every year we voluntarily march into premature graves in the millions. Death by firearms is WAY down the list. I don't plan to surrender my right to eat cholesterol any time soon. You really want to start a gun war to replace the drug war? Guns are way more popular and don't get used up like drugs. Someone who is willing to kill you doesn't care if he's in a gun free zone. Stupid stupid.So come up with solutions that law abiding gun owners won't object to and might actually have a chance to happen and you'll have accomplished something. Like reforming the mental health system. Otherwise you'll go nowhere but feel really virtuous in the process. People who whine on about cop killer bullets just signal to the rest of the world they don't have clue. Ain't no such critter. Go forth and study basic terminal ballistics and come back and talk intelligently. BTW, I have quite an arsenal at home. Some was inherited from my father. Some from my father in law. Some I bought myself. All nicely locked up. Some have been gifted to my children and wife. Don't tell me fear has anything to do with it because you don't know me. I just like to shoot.How sad

This post was edited

There are 10s of millions of responsible gun owners in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.
There are 10s of millions of responsible marijuana users in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.
There are millions of responsible motorcycle riders in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.
Are you starting to understand?

This post was edited

There are 10s of millions of responsible gun owners in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.There are 10s of millions of responsible marijuana users in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.There are millions of responsible motorcycle riders in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.Are you starting to understand?Yup! "If it bleeds it leads."

This post was edited

There are 10s of millions of responsible gun owners in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.There are 10s of millions of responsible marijuana users in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.There are millions of responsible motorcycle riders in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.Are you starting to understand?The last thing I'd want is a bunch of bikers who are high carrying arms.

This post was edited

There are 10s of millions of responsible gun owners in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.There are 10s of millions of responsible marijuana users in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.There are millions of responsible motorcycle riders in the US. They just don't make it on the evening news.Are you starting to understand?The last thing I'd want is a bunch of bikers who are high carrying arms.

This post reeks of hypocrisy.

This post was edited

Most motorcyclists are not 'bikers'. More media bs.

This post was edited

We are advised NOT to judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few
lunatics,

but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by
the actions of a few lunatics.

Funny how that works.

This post was edited

I must wholeheartedly agree with Thomas' post...but that's not how the media works. More readership...more advertising revenue. Maybe one day we'll figure it out.

This post was edited