Barefoot off-trail hiking

Nothing like the thrill of leaving it ALL behind. Off the trail, the ground is soft underfoot. You see, and feel, everything you step on, everything you brush by. It's slow, but what a wonderful journey!

This topic was edited
RE: Barefoot off-trail hiking

In this part of the country, the most "popular" plant, is poison ivy !
I try to confine my nude hiking to where there's a shower real close by, to undo that the ivy does ASAP.

This post was edited

In this part of the country, the most "popular" plant, is poison ivy ! I try to confine my nude hiking to where there's a shower real close by, to undo that the ivy does ASAP.
Poison Ivy is very common here also, but I have no problem since I know what to watch out for as well as the fact that it doesn't bother me. I usually hike to a small lake a mile and a half from the house and back, so can always jump in the water at half way point if I want to. I do it mainly to cool off.
Thomas

This post was edited

that would be true in the usa except for a few states. when hiking i look for areas less visited to hike, sometimes i will visit a park that has a ton of trails and just keep my eyes open for other when hiking nude. as for being barefoot probably not but i will usually wear a pair of crocs as a lot of times i will have to cross a creek or if i find a clearing to sunbath i can kick them off. i have thought about buying a pair of mocassins as a alternative.

This post was edited

On poison ivy: the old Indian prevention trick really does work. Tear off a piece of poison ivy (or poison oak, for you West Coasters) half the size of a grain of rice (use a stick, plastic fork, something which you will feel free to throw away!) and eat it. Be sure to get it off your teeth and tongue.
Then in a day or two, eat another piece, just slightly larger, and over about a month work up to something the size of your little fingernail. (If your butt itches, cut back.) You're then immune for the season.
If you are reading this in Europe or Australia, be glad - be very glad; it's an American curse.

This post was edited
Poison ivy link

https://wwmag.net/pivy.htm has a discussion of eating poison ivy. Does work for poison oak, too, which is the same poison. I used to eat poison oak at home in California to prepare for poison ivy in the woods back east.

This post was edited

I'm curious. Do you live in some nudist area or something? How do people react when they see you hiking nude? Over here, they'd have me arrested on the spot.

The area I hike in is secluded so no one sees me. On top of that, Texas law covers nudity in public and lewd behavior, so it is legal to be nude on private land.

This post was edited
RE: Poison ivy link

https://wwmag.net/pivy.htm has a discussion of eating poison ivy. Does work for poison oak, too, which is the same poison. I used to eat poison oak at home in California to prepare for poison ivy in the woods back east.
I am lucky enough to have natural immunity to it so don't need any remedies for it.

This post was edited
RE: If I may recommend an alternative that is safe, fun, and as natural as possible

I have been enjoying a new shoe called the Vibram five finger (google that) the shoe is the closest thing to being barefoot with out actually being barefoot. each toe has it's own spot, and there is a very thing but comfortable layer of rubber under it. I can hike, run, Kayak, rock climb, yoga, skateboard, and walk in them. these are great for nude and non nude adventures. I highly recommend them

I've heard of the Vibram five finger. Alot of ultra-marathoners are wearing them, to get as close to being barefoot as possible but still have some protection from rugged terrain. Seems they're finally figuring out that all those high-tech, uber expensive "running shoes" that were introduced in the '70's do more damage to your feet and body than just about anything else.

Jen

This post was edited
Barefoot off-trail hiking

Today I encountered a new hazard while hiking nude. We have a lot of coyotes in the area but they are normally out at night. Wolves are rare here, but I had one come out of the woods onto the clear cut path I was walking along about 30 yards from me. Unfortunately he saw me before my camera had finished turning on so I didn't get a picture. I am glad he wasn't real hungry. LOL
Thomas

This post was edited

What has scared me, are wild hogs. They seem to be getting bigger and meaner. Good thing that they make a lot of noise. I can hear before seeing them and bypass them. I try to free hike once a week. I can't stay to sit still to get a suntan.

This post was edited