RE:Why are men more apt to be nudists than women

By nudewisfam:

I am not sure I believe this at all. My wife Sherri is by far the first to be willing to go nude in any situation. Where I need a bit of coaxing when in a new environment or with a new group of people.

She sounds like the exception rather than the norm, and a pleasant one at that!

This post was edited

She sounds like the exception rather than the norm, and a pleasant one at that!

Indeed it is.

"Personality types" can play a part as well. I had a friend who was a "strong" extrovert; and the first time she ever went to a resort was to visit a friend who had retired there. She pretty much got naked right away and showed no hang-ups about being naked in front of her long-time friend; much to her husband's surprise. She had no nudist experience; yet she "adapted" right away to social nudity.

My wife is somewhere between extroverts and introvert (also called ambivert). She takes her cues from other people; and if everyone is naked, she'll happily get naked too and socialize with them. But she wouldn't be the first or only one naked.

Obviously, "true" introverts will have a harder time with social nudity; as they will already have issues with any kind of socialization. Having an introverted spouse will require a lot more patience and support.

This post was edited

"Personality types" can play a part as well. I had a friend who was a "strong" extrovert; and the first time she ever went to a resort was to visit a friend who had retired there. She pretty much got naked right away and showed no hang-ups about being naked in front of her long-time friend; much to her husband's surprise. She had no nudist experience; yet she "adapted" right away to social nudity.My wife is somewhere between extroverts and introvert (also called ambivert). She takes her cues from other people; and if everyone is naked, she'll happily get naked too and socialize with them. But she wouldn't be the first or only one naked.Obviously, "true" introverts will have a harder time with social nudity; as they will already have issues with any kind of socialization. Having an introverted spouse will require a lot more patience and support.
Interesting concept. On the other hand, personality type may have nothing to do with a specific person and social nudity. As an introvert who grew up with a lot of casual male nudity I had no apprehension with my first social nude experience. I was alone at Blacks Beach, so there was no pressure to take off my clothes, but I did a few minutes after reaching the beach. My wife is an extrovert and is not comfortable with being nude in a social setting.

This post was edited

On the other hand, personality type may have nothing to do with a specific person and social nudity.

And that is true as well.
My first wife was/is an extrovert in everyday life (some might have even called her "loud"). But in the beginning of our nudist resort outings, you would have thought she was the most introverted person you'd ever met. Her "body-shame" overwrote her natural gregarious inclination.

It really wasn't until she eventually achieved a healthier level of body-acceptance (through gradual acclimatization and socialization) and learned to be comfortable interacting nude with people that she "returned" to her more natural extroverted state; sometimes even being the "life of the party."

It can be an amalgam of factors, which can make the whole thing really complicated.

This post was edited

It can be an amalgam of factors, which can make the whole thing really complicated.Yes, it can be very complicated as each has their own experiences and reasons, which influences their opinion of social nudity and likelihood to participate.

This post was edited

My experience has been that in the "online" world there are many more male nudists than female. However in the "real" world my experience is the opposite. For many years I have hosted gardening interns here (mostly in their 20's) and when I explain that we are clothing optional and the hot tub is strictly no suits allowed - the females that will get naked outnumber the men by at least 5 to 1.

This post was edited

Im so glad more people have added their thoughts and experiences. It is interesting how different people can be. Even from state to state and country to country. And I think that everyone has had good points. I do think that society has sexualized women and made them in turn either, overly sexualized and want to compare and complete with other women. Or they are afraid to be ogled by men while wearing clothes, let alone feeling comfortable being seen naked.

But I think we can definitely change things and make a difference if everyone starts treating people better, on both sides. But especially for men. As one person here said, his wife has had men approach her in a sexual way. In a nudist environment, where you would think would be more polite, or have a different mindset.

But, anywhere you go you may have a bad apple.

This post was edited

I think age plays a roll here too. When people have lived a little longer they have experienced more situations and personalities, and have become comfortable in just who they are, and maybe more true for women. Being nude socially can then be easier for a woman/ This is just my observation from conversations at nudist resorts.

This post was edited