Why are men more apt to be nudists than women

I think its sad how society has become so judgmental. Body shaming is a normal thing today. If we dont hear it from someone else, we tend to think it about ourselves.
And from what Ive experienced, most women that come into nudism, that had a hesitation at first. Was because of how they felt about there bodies or fear what others would think. Now Im not saying its the Only reason. But it seems to be an overwhelming one. As well as the rumor that guys are more apt to be nudists because they like to show off their Manhood. And while I can understand that in some cases. But being and grower not a shower l, myself. Im not so sure. As well as, I think thats not the mentality of most nudists. But perhaps men are more proud of what they have. Even the size and shape of their muscles. And women less apt to be proud of their shape, or show off their breasts.

Any thoughts on the subject are welcome please. Let the discussion commence!

This topic was edited
RE:Why are men more apt to be nudists than women

IMHO...vulnerability has a lot to do with it too.

Women - to a much greater extent than men - need to feel "safe and secure" (from judgement, harassment, criticism...) to be comfortable being seen naked. For most men, expressing our masculinity - through physicality, strength, competition...and nudity - is pretty much inculcated from birth. So it's not surprising that more men see social nudity as a natural extension of "physical expression"; whereas women (typically) do not.

Like many women, it took my wife several attempts before she found her "comfort zone" being socially nude. Me: it took one try. Because she first had to reach a point where she felt totally safe; whereas "safety" was never really a concern for me. Going to the same resort and seeing the same naked people allowed her to reach a point where she was ok with them seeing her naked too.
But yes; it was not as simple for her as it was for me.

This post was edited

IMHO...vulnerability has a lot to do with it too.Women - to a much greater extent than men - need to feel "safe and secure" (from judgement, harassment, criticism...) to be comfortable being seen naked.

Thanks for you response. And I totally agree. Its about feeling safe and free from judgment. As well as harassment, yes. Women more often are looked at in a sexual way, no matter What they wear. So wearing nothing can be a scary thing, if they feel theyre going to be ogled by men or women.

Theres something Ive stressed with people I talk to about nudism and just in general. That we need to change the way that media and magazines portray women. And stop objectifying them as sex symbols.

The issue still stands, that women cant show their Nipples but men can. Simply because we objectively view a womens chest as sexual and not a mans.
If we can change the way we think about women. Then we will start treating them better, and making them feel safer in life.

This post was edited

Yoga pants and shorts, skin tight jeans, short-shorts, halter tops, bare midriffs, shaping bras. Seems a lot of women are very comfortable with their physicality.

This post was edited

Yoga pants and shorts, skin tight jeans, short-shorts, halter tops, bare midriffs, shaping bras. Seems a lot of women are very comfortable with their physicality.

Well, in All those examples. They are still mostly covered. And while skin tight spandex or jeans may accentuate, ie show off their body. Its also shaping and hold the body in different ways. Perhaps concealing some unwanted rolls, or lifting and shaping certain areas. So the women still feel covered and protected, while feeling sexy.
And in That, I see the problem How do women feel sexy, and what tells them they are? So if they do not look a certain way, they dont think they look good.

So body positivity is something that we have lost in todays world. So liking or even just feeling comfortable with the way they look is difficult.

This post was edited

By flsmoothie:

Much of it seems to be fashion, along with the group-think that brings with it. If the swimsuit fashion is demi-thong with a thick waistband, they wear it, even if they'd never go nude. Yoga pants may leave little of the form to the imagination. Bras seem to fulfill a dream of big breasts, but don't dare let a nipple be noticeable. And from the opposite perspective as man, don't show above the knee when swimming and certainly don't let the physique below show through!

I like to defy group-think when I can, but I often feel to be in the minority.

This post was edited

I like to defy group-think when I can, but I often feel to be in the minority.
Makes two of us.

This post was edited

Women are more body-conscious. A visit to a nude beach or venue soon shows how much we come in all shapes and sizes. The only thing that matters is confidence. (Or maybe a "cant care less" attitude)

This post was edited

Sadly, in today's sexist, misogynistic, body phobic, body shaming, body insecurities promoting, female objectifying and sexualizing patriarchal society puts a lot of undue pressure on the feminine gender!! That is the main reason!!

This post was edited

It took my wife a while to feel comfortable been nude in public in front of strangers. She, like most females have a body image issue that they feel other females are better than them. Additionally, most females have been sexualized by men and fashions they wear so now take all the covering away, "they will see me nude!". There is a comfort zone that they have to reach.

You will find very few single females that will go somewhere to be nude without someone for 'support'. Those do are ones that have done it before and are strong individuals. We've meat single females at nude beaches and resorts, and they always are types that are confident with themselves and will be willing to chat with a couple. Men in general, are like, let's do it, let's show it off (except for those guys that do the towel dance in the locker room). My wife has been approached a few times by men at places, and in general most are descent but a few have shown their 'pleasure' in meeting her and made remarks or shown they are interest in more. I've had to step in more than a few times to correct them once I return from where I've been. All except for one, who stated he was sorry for his action, the rest have denied what they did or said. I hardly believe my wife would make up a story. So for a female to be there and experience that type of experience, they will tell their friends and there goes the whole image of nudism been something wholesome.

As I've heard many times, have a good time, you may tell someone, have a bad experience, and you tell everyone. Our actions at nude places, go a long way to reflect, not on ourselves, but on nudism in general. Keep that in mind next time something happens....
Now go get nude!

This post was edited

I am not sure I believe this at all. My wife Sherri is by far the first to be willing to go nude in any situation. Where I need a bit of coaxing when in a new environment or with a new group of people.

This post was edited