RE:Valley View hot springs/Orient Land Trust

Since this has post has been revived, I thought it would be wise to bring some things up to date about Valley View in the age of COVID:

While it was never wise to just "Show up" without reservations, it would be a huge mistake now. No reservation, you ain't getting in. Their normal quota's have been severely restricted (Just pure number, not by gender). There are no day pass or quick dip admissions, only overnight reservations. Tent area is closed, though you can pitch a tent in one of the vehicle sites. You must bring all your own stuff (Food, linens, cookware, everything) even if staying in one of the cabins, SunSet, The Spruce House, & the Oak House. Oak House kitchen is for Oak House only. Oak House upstairs bunks are closed. Each pond has a limit of number of people at any given time, as well as the sauna and pool.

Reservations are restricted to 30 days out. Do not call any sooner, you will just be told to call back at the 30 day mark. If they don't answer the phone, leave a message. They will call you back.

For more details see this notice on their web page

This post was edited

From Rosie:

Phone update: Thanks everyone for your patience! We continue to have difficulty with the phone lines. For several days now we have been struggling with calls dropping and difficulty calling out. After much evaluation, we have had to order a new phone base station which will come in next Tuesday. That's the good news! Until then, we have just one line coming in and going out. Answering the phone has some new challenges for us. When you call, if we don't answer and you want to make a reservation, leave just your name and phone number, we'll call you back in the order the message is received. Please listen carefully to the message, your questions may be answered there or check the web site! Thanks for helping us through these few days of technical difficulties, we appreciate your patience! Rosie

This post was edited

From the Facebook page:

Valley View Hot Springs is closed for the holidays! The offices at OLT will reopen on Tuesday, December 29th at 9:00 am. Please do not call the office to make reservations while we are closed, they will not be returned. To make reservations for January, give a call on the 29th! Current covid guidelines will apply and can be reviewed on our website https://www.olt.org/.../Additional_COVID19_Guidelines_Map...
Anyone wishing to make a tax deductible donation can donate on the website: https://www.olt.org/olt/get-involved/membership
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy holiday season! We look forward to hearing from you in the new year!

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

I just spent a couple of days at Valley View, had a wonderful time, good weather few bugs, the bats are a bit late. I can't wait to go back.

This post was edited

Just returned from my 3rd trip down there this year. The first day felt a little like this site; there seemed to be a large contingent of older men nudists, me included. However, by the second day, it was more what I am accustomed to there--a good mix of young and old, and men and women. It has been quite rainy down there, and at least one night, I wished for an extra blanket. On the opposite end, the upper Top Pond clocked in at 109 degrees. That is unusually hot for the Top Ponds. Probably has something to do with the low snowpack they had down there this winter. Also, they deepened the Waterfall Pond. It is a much nicer depth, but it will take a while for the silt to clear out. Finally, I have a couple of photos of me in the most recent newsletter associated with Naked Gardening Day at the Everson Ranch.

This post was edited

On the opposite end, the upper Top Pond clocked in at 109 degrees. That is unusually hot for the Top Ponds. Probably has something to do with the low snowpack they had down there this winter.

The top ponds have been running rather toasty this summer. The lower one is the only one I could stand for any length of time.

Come October, I think all the COVID changes will be gone (The Oak House bunks upstairs become available again 1 Oct). I suspect the reduced quotas (Mostly gone already - I think they're at 75% of normal now) will be completely gone by next summer if not sooner.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

Come October, I think all the COVID changes will be gone (The Oak House bunks upstairs become available again 1 Oct). I suspect the reduced quotas (Mostly gone already - I think they're at 75% of normal now) will be completely gone by next summer if not sooner.
It feels like the limits are already gone, but I guess it is still hard to get in on a day pass without reserving well in advance. The RV sites are close to 100% booked most of the time.

This post was edited

When I was there towards the end of July, the quota was 75% of normal. It still seemed like a lot less people than usual (which was kinda nice). I would say the RV spots were about 75%. All four of the Oak House rooms were taken most nights (I was in one of them), and it appeared all the cabins were in use. The Spruce house was in use at least some nights, but can't say if both rooms were being used. It appeared it was the tent camping that was mostly under-utilized.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

Awesome place. I went there in August 2022. I was a little disappointed by the amount of clothed people. Most were nude in the hot springs, but dressed everywhere else. I hiked to the bat cave nude and was the only nude person on the trail that evening. The coed bathrooms were kinda cool and unique too.

This post was edited

I was a little disappointed by the amount of clothed people. Most were nude in the hot springs, but dressed everywhere else.
It is so variable. Early and late season seems to have more nudist; in the summer month, more just skinny dippers and textiles. However, that doesn't always hold true. The same goes for the male-to-female ratio. I've seen men with the clear advantage, but other times women outnumber men. Young-old same thing. It's all good, and I've always have had a good time there and met great people. For me, the bottom line is that I can be naked where ever I want, hike naked, and if anyone has a problem with that, it's their problem. You can't go to Valley View and not expect to see naked people. I actually saw a review on a travel website where someone was complaining about the number of naked people - "It might as well be a nudist colony." Not sure what they thought clothing optional meant.

This post was edited