RE:Nudists are exhibitionists - Do you agree?

What do you guys think? (I am coming from a male's perspective only)
No offense but I think conflating the two shows a misunderstanding of one or the other and probably both.

This post was edited

What do you guys think? (I am coming from a male's perspective only)No offense but I think conflating the two shows a misunderstanding of one or the other and probably both.

Can you elaborate with example, please?

This post was edited

The degree of overlap in the imagined Venn diagram is not total but not absent as these forums show. For me, it's mainly about the being (for myself) but the social dimension also contributes, even if I'm not actively engaging with others. Is it a shared interest, exhibitionism or both? Perhaps both. I'm happy to be seen in a consentual environment such as a designated CO zone or an unofficial one where I'm not the only one. If I am the only one I'll generally try to keep a respectful distance if I can help it, but that has failed on occasion.

This post was edited

Can you elaborate with example, please?
Not really. They're two different things. Like comparing apples and oranges. Basically, nudism is not at all about attracting attention. Exhibitionism is *all about* attracting attention and feeling good about shocking other people's sensibilities. Nudism is about good health. Physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. It's practical and just makes good sense for all involved. Exhibitionism is considered a frickin' psychiatric disorder and has nothing to do with nudism. That's not to say that an individual has to be one or the other and can't be both. I'm just sayin' the statement "Nudists are exhibitionists" is absolutely not true. One ism is separate and apart from the other. Same can be said for swingers. "Nudists are swingers" is untrue as well. And don't get me started on Naturists/Naturalists. But at least the confusion there doesn't do the damage to the general public's perception of nudism like exhibitionism and the swing lifestyle seem to do. Just thought I'd throw that in there to help with my point.

This post was edited

Thank you GSNPhil for your excellent explanation of the term exhibitionists. I, like you, have been a nudists nearly my entire life but never felt that I was an exhibitionists of any type.

This post was edited

The notion that "nudists must have exhibitionistic tendencies" came from the misguided belief that seeking out social nudity must stem from some desire to be seen naked by other people. When in fact, for most nudists, being seen naked by people is an "effect" rather than an "objective." And just because some nudists are more socially engaged than others does not mean they are "more exhibitionist." It might simply mean they are more extroverted/confident.

But that's an enduring misunderstanding that will probably not go away any time soon.

This post was edited

The notion that "nudists must have exhibitionistic tendencies" came from the misguided belief that seeking out social nudity must stem from some desire to be seen naked by other people. When in fact, for most nudists, being seen naked by people is an "effect" rather than an "objective." And just because some nudists are more socially engaged than others does not mean they are "more exhibitionist." It might simply mean they are more extroverted/confident.But that's an enduring misunderstanding that will probably not go away any time soon.

A very reasonable take on this worn-out notion. The final sentence says volumes. It is up to all nudists/naturists to unerringly fight the good fight for the freedom to be bare in social spheres, to constantly do out part to decry the faulty perception that nudism is always connected in some way to sexual exhibition, and to call out the ones who keep attempting to draw nudism toward exhibitionism. Where there is but a single nudist there is pleasure - where there are two or more comes some possibility of misunderstanding. We who call ourselves nudists must be ever vigilant in addressing and belaying the assertion that commonly connects our movement to some underlying sexual component.

We are all sexual beings, but we do not all become nudists solely to get more sex, though that is undeniably why some do. The percentage of nudists who are also exhibitionists (and those who seemingly cannot tell the difference) do weigh heavily on the world of wholesome nudism.

This post was edited

I think that seeing and being seen are essential elements of naturism, based on the absence of shame and fear, which are the motives for normally choosing to be clothed. Being naked with other people does not constitute exhibitionism (or voyeurism), because it is consensual and mutual. Exhibitionism consists of showing oneself (or one's sexual organs) naked to a clothed person without their consent; it is the correlative of voyeurism, which consists of watching without consent a person who is naked and/or engaged in intimate acts.

This post was edited

Spot 0n Colin, youve nailed it

This post was edited

Thank you guys. All responses help to build up correct understanding.

This post was edited