No Cheap Seat Around Here

Anyone out there find it common to come across people who complain about being poor?
I wander what a wealthy person would say if they went around complaining about being rich?
I think a rich persons complaint would go something like this, " Friend, You know what really chaps my ass about being rich ?"
" Making a donation back to society while I am sitting on my diamond studded gold toilet seat!"

Written by Stephen J. Vattimo
April 27, 2016.

This topic was edited
RE:No Cheap Seat Around Here

In the community in West Virginia where my second farm is, the farmers never acknowledge making money, even those who plainly do. They will talk about yield and management, but never profit. In effect, they complain about being poor, because that is the social convention in the community, and serves the interests of privacy and of modesty. But the word is never used. My dad, who was born in a log cabin on the ancestral subsistence farm in that area, says they never felt poor. "Poor" is a social identity.

This post was edited

I don't think it's so much a politically correct thing as it is attitude and what you do with your situation rich or poor. If you are poor and just complain and do nothing to try and change your situation then that's wrong but if you acknowledge you are poor and and are doing something about it like educating yourself or seeking other opportunities then you get respect. If you are rich and just hoard it all or flaunt it then that is bad but if you are rich and successful and you do things like acknowledge your staff that helped you get there, give back to the community etc then you get respect. Bill Gates setup then Gates Foundation, Warren Buffet gives a lot and has acknowledged he can't take it with him pledging to donate most of his fortune when he passes. They get respect while others just hoard and flaunt by buying another yacht...

This post was edited

I don't think it's so much a politically correct thing as it is attitude and what you do with your situation rich or poor. If you are poor and just complain and do nothing to try and change your situation then that's wrong but if you acknowledge you are poor and and are doing something about it like educating yourself or seeking other opportunities then you get respect. If you are rich and just hoard it all or flaunt it then that is bad but if you are rich and successful and you do things like acknowledge your staff that helped you get there, give back to the community etc then you get respect. Bill Gates setup then Gates Foundation, Warren Buffet gives a lot and has acknowledged he can't take it with him pledging to donate most of his fortune when he passes. They get respect while others just hoard and flaunt by buying another yacht...

Excellent post, FullSun.

This post was edited

.The problem is, if you're wealthy, you aren't allowed to tell anyone in this politically correct society. If

That is not political correctness; that is just being polite! Those with (high) class never call attention to their wealth. Those with low class (like President Trump) do.

This post was edited

There is one major difference you may have overlooked: Trump is a brand. He has to promote his brand, and that means flaunting it. It's marketing.

That is not political correctness; that is just being polite! Those with (high) class never call attention to their wealth. Those with low class (like President Trump) do.

This post was edited

There is one major difference you may have overlooked: Trump is a brand. He has to promote his brand, and that means flaunting it. It's marketing.
quote]

If that was the case there would be a difference between the huckster and the president. He is no different between candidate and president, or reality tv and candidate. In short, he is what he is.

This post was edited

Some of the happiest, most genuine, and most giving people I've ever met are people I've met while helping out in slums in Nigeria and Kenya. People there had nothing and were 'richer' than most Americans.

This post was edited