What is a friend?

I have been on True Nudists for some time now and have been increasingly mystified by the "Friend" function.

On other social networks like Facebook, your friends are usually people you actually know. On this site, though, I have yet to meet the people on my list in real life. I have had interesting exchanges with some of them and I hope that we will meet for real someday. Others, though, will forever be faces (or other body parts) on my profile page.

While I have approached many in the past to be friends, many more have approached me and asked to be a "Friend". That becomes the extent of our "relationship." At the most I get to know when they update their profile, change their status, join a group, receive a bulletin, etc. I can reach all my friends at once when needed through the bulletin, so that's useful. And I can always let them know when I have a new blog posting. But, otherwise, what's the point of being a "Friend" in this sense of the term?

Don't misundertand me: I'm not against the function itself. I'm just wondering if "Friend" is the proper term. Maybe a play on "pen pal," like cyberpal would be better.

What do YOU think?

This topic was edited
RE: What is a friend?

You are right Gerry. I have very limiteddirectinteraction with the people on my friends list with most of itoccurringon posts or in groups to which I belong, only one of which is not primarily a resource group. Many people here collect a large number of friends and join a large number of groups as if they are simply trophies or to give them a sense of inclusion. There is little to no activity once they have done so. Of course this is a generalization as I am sure there are others who communicate frequently but they seem to be in the minority.

This post was edited

Gerry and wolfboy I completely agree. That is why after a year here, I still have not accepted or sent a single "friend" request.

This post was edited

No delete, so double-post as an attempt to keep formatting.
Attempting to edit destroyed paragraph format.

This post was edited

I can only share what I do with my messenger contacts and do the same with friends lists on here and elsewhere in cyber, at least twice a year, I will go through the list and delete those who never communicate. There are people who I might chat to once a month or so, and that I like as a good "catch-up" session. There are others more frequently, say weekly or every couple of days or so. Then there are the friends who live near enough to visit, to stay over etc with.
To me, a friend is someone I have at least some things in common interest with. Most of my nudist friends are in England or abroad so physical meeting is difficut, esp since I am on welfare with limited resources. But face to face meeting with sound, through Skype or messenger is the nearest to most of these I will get. That to me, is no less a real friend.

This post was edited

I have tended to have some type of back and forth PM communication with new "friends" and then mostly reading their updates unless something new jumps out at me. I did have regular email contact with a couple of TN friends for a while, but one is not real active now, and the other left the site, with some personal conflicts of a different nature.
Gator1

This post was edited

I have two r-t nudist friends, both of which I met on here. I've talked to a fellow who lives in California and made friends on here with a couple who live back east and the Californian and wife went there to visit them. I guess the "Friend" function is whatever you want to make of it. You want real time friends, just keep on trying. I haven't been on here for as long as quite a few of you but I have had desired results, though I would like to meet more. If you are truly interested in meeting other nudists, when someone close proposes an M&G, accept. Not everyone is able or desirous of going to resorts for various reasons.

John

This post was edited

Well I havea NEW question concerning friends on THIS site. I have noticed that when I visit a friends profile, some will show me as a friend and some do not. It this a computer glitch or can a "friend" be one direction only? I am not concerned or upset but just want to understand.

Lilstones

This post was edited

In regards to social media such as Facebook, or even TN, "friends" = "cyber acquaintances" in my opinion, and I define the word by its context. I have personally interacted with all of my Facebook contacts, but none of my TN contacts. In real life, my definition of "friend" is very narrow. I have few true friends, but numerous acquaintances.

This post was edited

I'm in the same category: facebook friends are people I actually know and want to keep in touch with, even if we don't interact much. It's still a way of not losing touch entirely when our worlds just don't overlap much.
Here, I expect them to be people I've gotten to know, either through messaging, forums or groups, or in the rare case of the one I have friended so far, someone I actually do know.
On another sort of site, I could see "friends" being the audience of an exhibitionist, but I think a "Like" function would be better suited to that...

This post was edited

I'm very picky about being ''friend'' with someone. On Facebook 90% of people I have on the list are people I know in person.
In here, people I do have on my list are the ones I chat with every day,in chat room or on any messenger atleast once a week.I clean my TN friend list every month, so on my list are only around 30 people. I'm not one of those who have 100+ friends on the list...how can you chat or be in contact with 100 people??

This post was edited