RE:How to deal with neighjbors...

Many / most of us have neighbours. I've found that through my work people who respect each others privacy tend to get on the best. Plant out plenty of screening, or build a higher fence, but don't impose on them and things will generally be fine.

This post was edited

I think one of the reasons we've not had any issues with any of our neighbors that have seen us naked in our backyard; privacy we've tried to provide ourselves from view. Plenty of trees, shrubs, landscaping that does it's best to cover their view of us but it's not perfect nor complete privacy. Our next door neighbors finally made a comment about the trees separating our properties. He asked if I minded him trimming up our trees on his side of the fence. I said we did not and do what he needed or wanted. He then replied, "I'll be sure not to minimize the privacy you want and need." That in itself has told me that they are aware of our nudity back there and are tolerant of it. My only wish is that we'd talked to them right after they moved in and we got it out in the open.

This post was edited

I got tired of sneeking around my own yard so I brought it up to them one day in a text ,it took a little bit to get back to me but they said it's your yard it would not bother us . Have to say it was a little different first time my neighbors wife saw me she waved and said hi . That was 3 years ago

I *really* like this direct approach. Well done!

Just for the record, we live in the country but the front of the house is in full view of the road. I just have to remember not to walk around to the front without anything on ;)

This post was edited

Fencing also differs region to region.

Where I am in Victoria, Australia, 6' pailing fences are standard, except when they get replaced and everyone chooses to take the option of a 7' replacement.

My old work colleague once invited me to dinner while he was working in Detroit and living in the suburbs to the west (Plymouth, I think). There, everyone had 2' wire fences (we refer to it as Cyclone mesh in Australia) so there was a view across multiple back gardens and any privacy would be minimal without adding screening and perhaps the neighbours would object to the loss of 'borrowed landscape'. We enjoyed a meal in the garden anyway as it was a beautiful evening for it, although the backyard openness did feel unusual to me. I don't recall asking, despite his wife being one who was possibly inclined to take advantage of the sunshine.

This post was edited

Fencing rules may differ from region to region & State to State but plant screening vegetation and be discrete until it grows (the vegetation that is). Have a few options for where you can sit / lie down away from lines of sight. Also as others suggest, maybe mention it with neighbours that you may sometimes venture nude in your yard to put out washing or whatever, test the waters so to speak.

This post was edited

Here in our part of the state, seems most people want their privacy and non see thru fences and block walls are the norm. We've visited other parts of the country and found that in some places there are no fences at all. It's a way of life they've gown up in but if we had uprooted and moved to that portion of the country and couldn't put up a privacy fence, we probably would have moved back! hahaha

Good fences make good neighbors - Robert Frost 1914 This isn't always true. We've had fences between our home and neighbors since we were both very young and some neighbors are just bad. The ones that allow you to live your life, as long as you're not doing anything illegal or lewd, they are all you can ask for. Be great to have accepting neighbors with regards to nudism but I'll take tolerant any day. We have thankfully had tolerant neighbors at every home we've rented or owned.

This post was edited

Great comment! Im lucky enough to to have a block wall around my property with only one neighbor who could care less about what I do in my yard. Fences (and walls) make great neighbors!

This post was edited

My biggest blunder was not putting up an 8' fence instead of a 6' one in retrospect.

This post was edited

Same mistake here. When we had the entire backyard put in, after we moved into this new house, we should have put in the 6' block wall between us and the next door neighbors. We have a solid fence between us but it's 5'6" high and he and I can still stand near it and see over it. Hasn't stopped us from living our life and they seem tolerant enough that we don't have to bother with replacing it.

This post was edited

My biggest blunder was not putting up an 8' fence instead of a 6' one in retrospect.

I agree with that one. I inherited this garden and it's perimeters when I moved in with my now wife. All around is a 7ft wall plus trees. On once side the neighbour cut down his trees, so I'm now of the opinion that if he can see in, it's his fault.

Between us and our other neighbour, there is a 6ft fence for a short length. Unfortunately his side is higher so he can see over.

This is how come, on the last day of summer this year he was able to see me packing up the summer house naked. His face screamed that he did not approve but as we don't talk, and he hasn't said or done anything, I'm happy.

This post was edited