What makes one a nudist?

I have seen information about nudism and naturism online and in books about getting into nudism, and all lead to being bare in a social setting as the final step. Are you not a nudist if you prefer to be nude only in your room or home? Suppose you do not like socializing clothed either?

If you are only into nudity for the comfort, freedom, relaxation and health benefits. Are you still a nudist or something else? A partial nudist. For instance what if you have contact allergies to materials and go bare for relief. Still a nudist?

This topic was edited
RE:What makes one a nudist?

there is no one answer that fits all. nor should there be. if you enjoy time without clothes that most people do clothed then you are a nudist. Things that even the most prudish do nude like bathing and being born do not count. Other than that enjoy your bare body to whatever degree of openness you are comfy with and carry on.

This post was edited

To me, it is a mindset. My enjoyment of being clothes free when I can helps complete that mindset.

This post was edited

I agree, it's a mindset, or in the DNA. What makes a vegetarian (or vegan), a twitchier, a stamp collector, a railway enthusiast or even a football supporter? It's in the blood. So it is with nudists. In the UK we are a protected minority (like a minority religion) , with human rights to express our beliefs and lifestyle.

This post was edited

Thank you for the quick and insightful replies. My takeaway is that nudism is more about everyones inner appreciation of being bare while going about their life. If you find it beneficial mentally and physically, and it enhances your enjoyment of life, then you can be considered a nudist. Ok, but how does social nudism defer from exhibitionism? The exhibitionist I guess gets some enjoyment from their display. Is this a separate activity or overlapping? Or is it all about the setting or environment the nakedness is displayed in?

This post was edited

What makes you a nudist is your mentality, if you feel good without clothes even if you only get rid of them when you are alone at home you are already a nudist. Naturally we want to explore our nature more and more and be naked all the time and even in contact with nature and other nudists. I haven't had the opportunity to be naked in public yet, but I hope to do it soon. Remember the important thing is to follow your nature and be happy naked.

This post was edited

I agree with most of above however I feel that everyone is born a nudist and develops the mindset as to be textile from parents and religious people around them from birth on ...

This post was edited

I agree with most of above however I feel that everyone is born a nudist and develops the mindset as to be textile from parents and religious people around them from birth on ...

Absolutely agree. Little kids play nude with no consideration for their nudity. It's only when they get older that they become aware of it, and then only because their parents call it to their attention. Of course, it gets "stickier" when their bodies start to change with puberty, but if they're in a loving environment where nudism is accepted, they accept it as natural.

This post was edited