RE:Hi all

Something I acquired a few years ago is a device called ThermaCell. On one of my Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe Area (Ely, MN) trips, another group coming in recommended it as we were heading out. Went ahead and got one. Not only does it repel the skeeters, but the biting black flies seemed to not like it either. We would put it under the canoe we had tipped over to use as a table while cooking and eating, and it worked quite well. Also would put it by the latrine in the evening. I now own three of them (One hikers version, two lanterns) to cover multiple areas, and routinely use them in the backyard during parties.

It uses a repellent soaked pad that is heated by a small butane fired flame beneath a metal plate that the pad sits on. This creates a kinda very light fog or scent in a roughly 15' diameter area. It will not work in windy conditions, as the repellent gets dispersed, but otherwise, I have had really good luck with it.

I also have a big bug zapper in the backyard. Key to the bug zapper is to put well away from where people will be gathering. The idea is to draw the bugs away from the crowd to the light for zapping.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

For those that leave a bug zapper run 24/7, here's a Youtube trick that worked quite well for me. Take a 1 gallon jug and fill it 3/4 with water, add 1 cup brown sugar and a pack of yeast. Get some aquarium air tube, drill a hole in the jugs cap slightly smaller than the tube for a friction fit, or if you have to go larger with the hole glue the tube in place. Place the other end of the tube in the zapper.

How it works, is the yeast eats the brown sugar and produces co2, this travels up the tube to the zapper and attracts those biting bugs that are attracted to the co2 in our breath. Good for 4-6 weeks depending on temperature, the cooler it is the slower the yeast works.

Way cheaper than the fancy attractants they try to sell you ;-)

This post was edited

I wonder how the hooch tastes when the yeast is done with it. As a sometime brewer, I'm interested!

This post was edited

I wonder how the hooch tastes when the yeast is done with it. As a sometime brewer, I'm interested!

LOL I thought about it, but never worked up the courage to try it ;-)

This post was edited