Quick Cover Up for Textile Encounters

Most of us carry something to use as a cover up in the event of meeting up with textile hikers. I have a pair of loose fitting, elastic waist shorts that works OK but awkward to put them on over my hiking shoes and takes a little longer than I would like. I came across this product on a post from another group discussion here on TN. It's called a Quick Release Changing Kilt. Used by bicyclists for changing clothes in public places it looks like it would be ideal to carry on a hike in case a cover up is needed. Very lightweight with velcro closure. The price in this ad is a bit high but like everything else I bet you could find it on the internet for a lot less. I may give it a try.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyclosource-store/apparel/bottoms/sp/pactimo-changing-kilt/

This topic was edited
RE:Quick Cover Up for Textile Encounters

I too have looked for a lightweight kilt to use instead of my loose fitting shorts. This cyclist's kilt looks very promising. Thanks for the link.

This post was edited

Or just wear a loincloth; most folk ar OK with it. A shoelace and a tea towel in front or a shoelace with 4 inches of a t-shirt bottom looped front and back.

This post was edited

i have found that there are no quick coverups for textile encounters as no matter how much you keep your eyes and ears open on back trails if someone out there your going to encounter them and especially the pedal type mountain bikers , with them i'm more interested in getting out of they're way as they speed by . i like the idea of the loin cloth i've had a few and use them when fishing back country areas where least chance of encounter sometimes i won't be total nude a wear one and if it gets wet it dries fast . most times though when i hike i carry a small shoulder pack leave my shirt in car and once i get to trail strip , my shorts are tan almost match my skin tone so if someone see me in the distance and i manage to see them i can slip my shorts on and they may think i was wearing them all along i just drape them over my bag.

This post was edited

A quick cover up when meeting textiles is a running kilt. I have one, and love it. They can be ordered at runningkilts.com or they also give instructions for sewing your own.

This post was edited

A quick cover up when meeting textiles is a running kilt. I have one, and love it. They can be ordered at runningkilts.com or they also give instructions for sewing your own.

+1 on the running kilt. I have two of those and they are great. Tucked up under my backpack waist belt to be naked and ready to be pulled down for any unexpected encounters.

This post was edited

I bring along a "hiking kilt" from the site called Sport Kilt. The hiking kilt model is light weight and dries quickly. It fastens by the use of velcro and has one interior pocket. More pockets can be added. About 7 or 8 different plaids the last time I looked.

This post was edited

I think the best thing is to stay natural and stay naked. If you hear a presence approaching, you have time to put on shorts that you keep on hand, if not the pareo looks better because it is put on quickly and easily but in some places, It seems a bit odd.I am found twice in such a situation
;he first on a narrow path where I saw people 60 meters away in the bush looking for mushrooms and I passed as if nothing was pressing just a little step. The second, we were in a group in a fairly clear space where the loggers were working: they couldnt not see us and we passed naked to less than 300 meters without problem

This post was edited

I dont worry about covering up at all when I hike naked. I pick trails that are less popular and hike during the week, to cut down on the chances of encountering someone. But I figure that Im way out in the wild and not bothering anyone, so why worry?

This post was edited

I use a mini-kilt with a Velcro fastening. It avoids the problem of pulling shorts over hiking boots, particularly nasty if they are muddy. I learnt this trick when hiking with NEWT in the Austrian Alps.

This post was edited