CHANGE PLATFORM TO UNICODE TO ACCEPT ACCENTS AND OTHER ALPHABETS

Hello,

I have been critical of this platform for about ten years (2010-2020), because the admins are unwilling to hear or admit that changes are needed.

I find that trueNudists is highly English-centric: it does not allow for accents (French, Spanish, etc.), let alone for other non-Roman alphabet languages (Greek, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Urdu, Punjab, etc.). This is unacceptable in the XXI century, and it technically amounts to racism, silencing voices.

I am really tired of asking so I am turning this into a public forum plea and I hope that most will support this initiative: CHANGE THE PLATFORM TO UNICODE.

This topic was edited
RE:CHANGE PLATFORM TO UNICODE TO ACCEPT ACCENTS AND OTHER ALPHABETS

Please, please. Even for English-language posts it matters. I've been in struggle to dumb down opening and closing quotation marks from text I'm copying, into the single ASCII quote mark. I hate having to misspell proper names that have accents on them. Let alone if I want to exchange messages in French, which is almost as hard to read without accents as nglsh s wtht vwls.

This post was edited

I perfectly agree with the topic! I myself reported this issue without getting any kind of response, as usual. Saying that the administrators of the site are ignoring the members' requests, suggestions and reports has become just useless, it has been said and proven so many times that it doesn't even matter anymore! My personal idea is that their only duty is to count the money they're getting from the subscriptions and doing the minimum to keep the site working. I regret my lifetime subscriprion, for those of you who are not paid members, save your money!

This post was edited

Hello,I have been critical of this platform for about ten years (2010-2020), because the admins are unwilling to hear or admit that changes are needed.I find that trueNudists is highly English-centric: it does not allow for accents (French, Spanish, etc.), let alone for other non-Roman alphabet languages (Greek, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Urdu, Punjab, etc.). This is unacceptable in the XXI century, and it technically amounts to racism, silencing voices.I am really tired of asking so I am turning this into a public forum plea and I hope that most will support this initiative: CHANGE THE PLATFORM TO UNICODE.

That would probably get your post mostly ignored, if the majority of people can't read what you wrote. They probably are not going to spend the time to copy and paste the text into a translator program.

Someone mentioned paid membership. I see a life time membership here is $99.99, A trip to the local grocery store will show you just how little that buy's and how quickly it is gone.

This post was edited

It's not just the forums. The same language problem applies to messages, and to groups - even groups specifically dedicated to non-Anglophone venues and locations.

This post was edited

I would say that calling it racism is a bit strong! Perhaps, have you thought, that their might be difficulties that the programmer is facing? If you know how, offer to help make the changes required.

I find that so many people who cry racism are often ones who are not fully aware of challenges someone is facing in making change. Now, before that statement gets taken out of context, I know and have personally seen lots of racism, derogatory comments - you name it, I have seen just about all of it, sexism included. It all comes down to ignorance, lack of willing to understand and accept change etc. In a sense, perhaps we all are a bit to blame, -I don't know, can we all who claim to be non-racist etc really claim to be 100%? It is what we would like, but we are all human, and humans make dumb mistakes. Perhaps that is one reason why I like nudism/naturism because in a sense, it does remove one more layer to hide in.

I don't know if any of that makes sense. And if the mods want to remove this post, go right ahead. Perhaps this post is not even relevant in this thread. enough rambling on and on!

This post was edited

I'm an Anglophone but also a linguist and can fully understand the frustration of those who don't speak English as a foreign language. Whilst maybe not as strong as racism, the stance that nothing can be done to even go part way and allowing for the use of accents (hence forcing people to misspell words and place names) is completely disrepectful and typical of the Americo-centric attitude of the site.

This post was edited

The site doesnt even work 100% with English if youre on a tablet or phone. Apostrophes can be typed in, but wont show up in the final post. Im typing this from an iPad and am willing to bet the apostrophes will be gone when I submit this.

Theres a lot more to getting Unicode support working than just flipping a switch. Facebook makes billions monetizing their users and then advertising to them. First, (as Naked Wanderings found out) you cant make advertising revenue on a nudist site. Advertising networks wont pay for the clicks they would pay for on Facebook here, so the main revenue source that Facebook has for paying staff to add things like Unicode support isnt available. Second, do you want your account to be analyzed and monetized here the way Facebook does things? Most of the real nudists would be gone if that happened. We certainly would.

As others have said, if you want new features, volunteer to help code them.

This post was edited

The fact is the platform is OLD OLD, older in age than our youngest members. The admins won't update it or get a mobile app because that is an investment of time and money they don't want to make, and you
can only tweak things so far. Instead, they milk it for what it's worth and let it die into irrelevance.

It also means that the site is best suited for middle aged and older Americans content with 1990-early 2000s US database software. It will live and die with them - damn the rest.

This post was edited

The fact is the platform is OLD OLD, older in age than our youngest members. The admins won't update it or get a mobile app because that is an investment of time and money they don't want to make, and youcan only tweak things so far. Instead, they milk it for what it's worth and let it die into irrelevance.It also means that the site is best suited for middle aged and older Americans content with 1990-early 2000s US database software. It will live and die with them - damn the rest.

Yep, Many of us Old farts don't like change :-0 The owners (unseen money grubbers) of my tractor group gave the whole thing a new and completely different format, with no communication with the members or moderators. With some of the old features just gone/ disappeared, and choked with more ads. That was a little over two weeks ago, traffic is way down and bitching is way up ;-) And some of the members have started a new group already.

This post was edited

There are some advantages to old technology. The first nudist online nudist group I belonged to - now defunct - allowed the usual profile pics, but had a chat that was limited to text - no video. Which meant that people actually CONVERSED in chat. I belong to another site now that experimented with two chatrooms, one video and one text-only, but with both alternatives in front of them, everyone chose video. Which, given that it was unmoderated, looked pretty much as you'd expect.

This post was edited