Oregon or Vermont

Taking all things into consideration, (legality of nudity, political climate, social acceptability of nudity, weather, seasons, cost of living, etc.), which is the better place to live, Oregon or Vermont? In either case, we're talking well out in the county on at least 3-5 acres.

This topic was edited
RE:Oregon or Vermont

Wouldn't any place in either of those states be a lot less warm than where you are now? I have read somewhere on this board that Florida is also relatively tolerant of nudity, plus it is a lot warmer.

This post was edited

Yes, both Oregon and Vermont have colder winters -- Vermont would be much colder than SW Oregon. Weather is not the only consideration. Both have laws much more favorable to nudity than Missouri.

This post was edited

LInk to thread about Florida
https://www.truenudists.com/forum/thread/185703/cancel/

This post was edited

It's my understanding (I could certainly be wrong), that as long as you're on your own property you con be nude in Florida. It's not so much that I necessarily want to do my grocery shopping nude (although that would be VERY nice), I would like the freedom to venture off my property without suddenly having legal problems.

The laws (or lack there of) in both Vermont and Oregon apply whether you are on your property of not.

This post was edited

There is a lot of climate variation in Oregon, with a fairly temperate coastal region and a more arid climate with greater variations in temperature on the eastern side if the Sierras.

I don't know much about Vermont, but there are a few gathering places for nudist in Oregon, a nude beach near Portland and a camping area to the south of there. Also, national forests where you can camp in the nude and generally not be bothered.

And, in the coastal cities, there's a more tolerant culture, and you're liable to find more nudist people with hot tubs and pools that are willing to share. These may not be full-time, committed nudists, but more like "nude when convenient."

This post was edited

I'm looking at SW Oregon -- fairly temperate there. Winters not so cold and summers not very hot. Overall, I think Oregon wins when it comes to weather -- at least compared to Vermont.

I'm a bit more concerned about the acceptance of nudity in general. I understand the law is favorable. Although I'd like to have enough property to wander around on, I'd like to know that I could go for longer walks without running into trouble.

This post was edited

Good to know that it does, in fact, get warm (hot) there. I should probably look into property taxes.

This post was edited

Homeowners insurance (fire) is another thing to look into. Many carriers have dropped insuring homes in the more forested or rural areas in Northern California and as I understand it,Oregon as well. After the fires of the last few years people are finding that new insurance is tough to find and is often 3 to 4 times what it had cost previously.

This post was edited

FullSun wrote:

Homeowners insurance (fire) is another thing to look into. Many carriers have dropped insuring homes in the more forested or rural areas in Northern California and as I understand it, Oregon as well. After the fires of the last few years people are finding that new insurance is tough to find and is often 3 to 4 times what it had cost previously.

Yes, that is a thing. Insurers are now paying a lot more attention to which of their customers is keeping on top of things like clearing brush away, creating fire-breaks, and making sure that their vegetation isn't interfering with power lines and such.

Another thing, at least for coastal Oregon, is a cockamamie way of figuring property taxes. (You pay more if you have an ocean view, I've been told.)

This post was edited

FullSun wrote:Homeowners insurance (fire) is another thing to look into. Many carriers have dropped insuring homes in the more forested or rural areas in Northern California and as I understand it, Oregon as well. After the fires of the last few years people are finding that new insurance is tough to find and is often 3 to 4 times what it had cost previously.Yes, that is a thing. Insurers are now paying a lot more attention to which of their customers is keeping on top of things like clearing brush away, creating fire-breaks, and making sure that their vegetation isn't interfering with power lines and such.Another thing, at least for coastal Oregon, is a cockamamie way of figuring property taxes. (You pay more if you have an ocean view, I've been told.)
Since property taxes are generally based on market value, paying more for an ocean view is common in many states.

This post was edited