Does nudity change as we age?

Do you believe nudity changes as we get older? Do our attitudes change? Do younger people perceive nudity as being different for older people? Are people in general more likely to tolerate nudity with regard to seniors? What are your thoughts on nudity and aging?

Nudity Over Fifty

This topic was edited
RE:Does nudity change as we age?

Inside my own head, my sense is that my relationship to nudity hasn't changed much from my 20s into my 70s. It was in my 20s that I realized I was perfectly comfortable being naked and/or being among naked people, sexual or not depending on context, and that's the same now. Contexts, however, change a lot. When I was younger, we were all simply naked hippies. As I aged, I pretty much stuck with that same age group, as many folks moved away from what they saw as the liberties of youth, so I started seeking out venues - where was the nearest nude beach? Did this apartment have a place on the roof to get naked? It began to be the case that there were adults significantly younger than me in those scenes, to whom I was at best invisible. In my San Francisco apartment, my partner and I hosted many young people passing through, and always presented our household nudity as something very matter-of-fact - which worked fine as long as we presented ourselves as essentially asexual beings. (By which I don't mean suppressing any sexual desire for young folks - just a deference to the oh-yuk-people-my-parents'-age-having-sex sensibility.) At this point, I've settled into being a more or less elderly eccentric among the youngest folks - and the folks my age have sorted themselves out so that I still find my most congenial company among them.

This post was edited

Do you believe nudity changes as we get older? Do our attitudes change? Do younger people perceive nudity as being different for older people? Are people in general more likely to tolerate nudity with regard to seniors? What are your thoughts on nudity and aging?Nudity Over Fifty

I feel as we age we become more comfortable in our skin. As things, droop, hang, bag and wrinkle, we become less concerned with physical attributes.

This post was edited

Clearly yes. My parents-in-law went to a nudist campside for holidays and into the sauna. At about 50 they did this no more. I think because they are old. My parents went to a nudist resort whenever they could. After the death of my father she completely changed. Today she cannot understand that she was nude in public. She feel even disturbed when her neighbour sun bathe in a bikini in her garden,

And clearly no, because I don't change and will not change.

This post was edited

@strandjunge -
Your mother's journey makes me think of my father's. He didn't own a swimsuit until he was 30, and was comfortable at the bed-bath-locker room level of nudity when I was younger. But as he aged, he just stopped being naked. I think he felt it was too country, or not dignified enough, or maybe he culture he was living in became his own and he no longer recognized that younger man as himself. In very old age, when he had to accept being seen and handled naked by others, it was I who was shy. He once or twice asked for my help, but generally professional help was not far, and I generally avoided such duties - saying to myself that I was respecting his privacy. But really, I don't think he had privacy concerns - it was my issue not his.

This post was edited